Ludwig Göransson - OPPENHEIMER (2023)

Chewy

axte5physolnb_org.jpg

Score album out now: https://www.qobuz.com/nz-en/album/oppenheimer-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-ludwig-goransson/axte5physolnb

1. Fission (04:38)
  2. Can You Hear The Music (01:50)
  3. A Lowly Shoe Salesman (03:34)
  4. Quantum Mechanics (03:00)
  5. Gravity Swallows Light (03:30)
  6. Meeting Kitty (05:47)
  7. Groves (03:03)
  8. Manhattan Project (03:01)
  9. American Prometheus (02:37)
  10. Atmospheric Ignition (03:28)
  11. Los Alamos (02:38)
  12. Fusion (03:55)
  13. Colonel Pash (04:57)
  14. Theorists (03:14)
  15. Ground Zero (04:21)
  16. Trinity (07:52)
  17. What We Have Done (05:45)
  18. Power Stays In The Shadows (04:10)
  19. The Trial (05:32)
  20. Dr. Hill (04:23)
  21. Kitty Comes To Testify (04:52)
  22. Something More Important (03:25)
  23. Destroyer Of Worlds (02:54)
  24. Oppenheimer (02:16)

I'm going to see this in IMAX on Sunday so will wait until then. Not having high hopes but I am still interested in this. 

Karol

18 minutes ago, badbu said:

for me, this score is better then tenet.

I watch the film today :) 

I really enjoy the Tenet score but it's hard to compare to this because it's so different. That's why I like Göransson so much. He has proven his ability to be diverse. 

30 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

How can anyone listen to this score? I don't understand.

Because you think it is terrible, or because it's unavailable in your region?

Oh its only like Tenet in a few parts, but its a lot calmer and orchestral in more parts.

You can actually hear actual instruments.

I am also assuming Trinity is the music for THAT moment, because that was a climax and a half.

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

To this day, I'm not sure if Tenet even used a real orchestra

You know, I can't understand who listens to such music. Maybe it does wonders in the film, I don't know, but I don't see it being capable of standing on its own, like say the neo-romantic style. Or even the orchestral atonal style.

Is it just me?

Just watched the movie in IMAX.

As always the case with Nolan’s movies, the score works effectively in the movie.

It’s of course infinitely better than Tenet. There are handful of interesting orchestral motifs here, as this movie allows Ludwig to explore more on the “symphony” of the orchestra. And it makes me wonder, how if Zimmer scores this. It perhaps can be his another Interstellar.

What certain is this score will definitely be nominated in Oscar. And it can win though, if there is no strong competitor ahead (as the movie is also universally acclaimed by critics)

The “göttingen montage” music at the beginning of the movie is one of the highlight of the score, the “Can You Hear The Music” track, hear below:

But it strongly reminds me of The Theory of Everything music, and both movie similarly deal with scientists 😄

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

To this day, I'm not sure if Tenet even used a real orchestra :lol:.

Thankfully, Oppenheimer seems to be a step up.

Tenet used a real orchestra but recorded separately because of covid. I'm not big on that score though so hope that Oppenheimer is better.

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

To this day, I'm not sure if Tenet even used a real orchestra :lol:.

Thankfully, Oppenheimer seems to be a step up.

He did use an actual orchestra for his Turning Red score (that score relies a quite heavily on actual Chinese instruments).

I won't listen to the OST until I've seen the film but judging by the tracks shared on YouTube a few days ago, I did enjoy the track Groves. It had a nice peaceful atmosphere and I like the harmonic shift in the bass that appears two or three times in the cue, that harmonic progression reminds me a bit of Dark Mal.

I'm optimistic about the score so far and can't wait to see the film!

6 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Jon Broxton's thoughts on the score.

I myself am going to wait to listen to it on album. Want to experience it for the first time in context

Screenshot_20230720_233742_Facebook.jpg

I picked a few cues to listen and I kinda agree with Broxton on the Burwell vibes part. 

I tend to think this is more of a Clint Mansell style. He is the first name popping into mind when hearing those violin writing. 

I like the score. It reminds me of Clint Mansell and Jonny Greenwood, specifically Phantom Thread with the strings. I do find it oddly used in the film sometimes though. But mainly because of Nolan's odd obsession with having so much music in non-emotional dialogue scenes.

18 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Fuck I want to see this in 70mm so bad.  The Dallas screenings are sold out until August (except for like the 2am ones)

I saw that there were some issues at the 70mm showings last night somewhere in Texas. Something about the sound going out 30 minutes in and them having to cancel shows.  It really sucks for those who got tickets for opening day in 70m and now they will have to see it in another format. 

1 hour ago, Toillion said:

Sweet! Hopefully the CD has additional music, that would be quite a waste to use 2 CDs just for 90 minutes

Very interesting listen so far. 

Lots of tracks are fun but then immediately go into that 'Nolan movie' sound (I'm lost for words to how to describe it???) 

But I'm really digging it.  I liked the Jonny Greenwood comparison from another poster.

As far as the Greenwood comparison goes, I found myself thinking a lot of There Will Be Blood’s score while watching the film. I’d guess it was temped with it, since so much of the film is wide open western terrain  

I found the score a lot more vibrant than I previously expected. It has an energy and pulse that Tenet didn’t have. Not that Tenet wasn’t exciting but this music in Oppenheimer feels alive. "Can You Hear the Music?" mesmerized me.

Wow, I gotta say, the score was very effective in film. It was used in a similar way as John Williams' JFK score -  unsettling, underlying and steering the loads of dialogue. The whole movie reminded me a lot of Oliver Stone's JFK - the disturbing montages, the very bitter and relentlessly dark tone (which I didn't expect from Nolan), and of course the thematic core of the story...

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Wow, I gotta say, the score was very effective in film. It was used in a similar way as John Williams' JFK score -  unsettling, underlying and steering the loads of dialogue. The whole movie reminded me a lot of Oliver Stone's JFK - the disturbing montages, the very bitter and relentlessly dark tone (which I didn't expect from Nolan), and of course the thematic core of the story...

I just got out of the movie and I completely agree with this take. A modern day, better, JFK. I absolutely loved this film and it did a great job using the music to keep the pace up. Without it the movie could’ve been a slog at some points.

I'm booked in to see it on Wednesday in digital IMAX. 

A colleague of mine is seeing the 70mm print IMAX at the BFI in London. Jammy bastard.

On 21/7/2023 at 5:33 PM, Toillion said:

Of course it is. Every major film gets a wide CD release, except John Williams’ “last” score, to a Disney film produced by Steven Spielberg.  

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Mondo releases are limited as well.

Karol

To an extent, all these releases are limited. But when Mondo truly has a limited release they mark it as so and it’s usually somewhere between 500-2000 copies. This release is not marked as limited so they probably have enough to stay in stock for a while I’d assume. And Mondo does represses of their stuff occasionally.