Michael Giacchino - SOCIETY OF THE SNOW (2023)

Jay

First single was released back in September

Now, a 19-track FYC album is available (though only 18 tracks play because track 3, Barren plays track 1 "Leaving Home" again)

https://film.netflixawards.com/society-of-the-snow

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

First single was released back in September

Now, a 19-track FYC album is available (though only 18 tracks play because track 3, Barren plays track 1 "Leaving Home" again)

https://film.netflixawards.com/society-of-the-snow

Idk if you saw @thx99's post in the FYC thread but there's actually 34 tracks available from that site (there should be 35 but one of them wasn't uploaded by accident). It's basically the complete score

No puns in the track titles this time.

As one of the very few people who appreciates his crazy titles I must say I am disappointed, but I can fully understand the decision, as the subject of this movie is too "sensitive" for that sort of humor.

I listened to the FYC album of this.... and I liked it a lot.  I already can't wait to listen to it again, but haven't found the time yet.  What a nice treat at the end of the year to get two new Giacchino scores on the same day!

Coming Friday, December 1st digitally by Netflix Music

image.png

1. Leaving Home (1:23)
2. Crash (1:04)
3. Barren (1:33)
4. Alien World (2:56)
5. Flashback (1:03)
6. First Scout (1:32)
7. Susy Passes (8:18)
8. News Radio (0:58)
9. What Do I Become (1:14)
10. The Second Expedition (4:43)
11. Trapped (0:44)
12. Today Is My Birthday (1:20)
13. What’s the Limit (2:31)
14. I See the Sky (2:01)
15. A Plan to Cross the Mountains (3:10)
16. Arturo’s Death (0:55)
17. Setting Out (1:07)
18. Heading Back (2:03)
19. Take Home the Love (1:13)
20. Nando Returns (5:02)
21. Radio Failure (0:50)
22. Sleeping Bag (0:53)
23. Numa Accepts His Place (5:30)
24. Andes Ascent (4:16)
25. Onward (3:16)
26. Over the River (1:09)
27. Found (6:22)
28. Home (4:06)

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2023/11/29/society-of-the-snow-soundtrack-album-details/

Second single released:

I love that each single has different art from each other, and from the whole album's cover

I reckon only this and Rogue One are the only "pun-less" Giacchino scores since the mid 2000s or so. Before that, there were only his very early scores, before Lost, The Incredibles, etc. Anyway, R1 eventually got its own punified titles, which he probably won't do with this one here.

Rogue One's pun titles weren't an "eventually" thing - they were inside in CD booklet.  So we still only have them for the cues that made the OST album.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Rogue One's pun titles weren't an "eventually" thing - they were inside in CD booklet. 

So eventually, as the tracklist was announced before the album was released. ;)

As much as I dislike Giacchino, I'm willing to give this one an open chance. I've always been interested in the story, and I love ALIVE, both film and score.

[Edit: Sampled it now, and no -- this was no door opener either. Lots of those gnarling LOST elements here, that no doubt works in the film, but that I find hard to listen to alone]

Here's the text of that post and the album cover instead of a phone capture

image.jpeg

In collaboration with Netflix Music, we are pleased to present the physical CD edition of Michael Giacchino's beautiful score for J.A. Bayona's SOCIETY OF THE SNOW.

The CD release will be available on December 8, along with our last five releases of the year! It's been a bumpy road for some of them, but they're all finally at the plant and will be ready for immediate order and shipping within a week! Stay tuned!

https://www.facebook.com/QuartetRecords/posts/pfbid02FiQrairWaKUGzs8nqh5KiqfYbTWzMcasj1F2nh9NHDkVYUad2y5gzwqRL6kMBdAZl?__cft__[0]=AZXL89xSZuPjytG2FG19GTfa352cuwip8odvfoCd6TKOyKNJfILDx4TRd6uNqnfRxGLrrqlwD5oxlNWCHTjEW0ZiRotph2o6Xqt64s3Ss-H-T5hvG8KMyvVMNHTOslXz5bdg8XDO8gH-YB33gyDw9dVDKWdnFaD3b7BN51mhTHoiEkCO5lctK5yHQiFadgCjong&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

Love some Gia but not sure about this one. Loads of dissonance as fits the subject, but it is just so close to JNH's Alive score for the same topic as to be....redundant? The guitar plucking theme, the uplifting chorales, the dissonance etc. At least, JNH had some balls to the wall early 1990s action scoring for the climbing sequences

On 11/12/2023 at 10:54 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

This could be Gia's ticket to the Oscars for the first time in 14 years. Kinda stunning to me he hasn't even been nominated since he won for Up.

Probably because he hasn’t done a great score since then.

I opened my physical copy.  The art design is nice - simple but very effective in its simplicity.

The credits have one very strange part in it:

image.jpeg

Is that just a placeholder that nobody went back and changed to the real location!?  Or are they trying to make some kind of joke?

And the note from Bayona has one instead of "I" at like double the font size of everything else, pretty weird thing to slip through.  Makes me wonder if a not-final version of the booklet is what got printed?

"Album produCD by"

that could be a pun title :P

If it was a vinyl would it say Album produLP by?

Well the mask of zorro as one big missing "W"...the jurassic teeth fiasco... even the masters at craft do mistakes.

You even wrote 'Not' instead of 'note' :P

But yeah, sometimes it seems people dont double-check things. If i was in charge, i would print the final files once and give it to proof readers, and then after is has been proofed, go to the printing plant.

For me the weirdest thing here is not even the "Score Producd by" but rather the "Score Mixed at ???". No, I'm not kidding, someone did put three question marks there.

How come the responsible for writing the characters didn't even know where it was mixed? And even if that information was somehow impossible to get, why not ommit it entirely from the liner notes? It would've been less embarrassing than these question marks.

On 19/12/2023 at 6:23 PM, Kasey Kockroach said:

Probably because he hasn’t done a great score since then.

Didn't you use to love his Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom score?

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

For me the weirdest thing here is not even the "Score Producd by" but rather the "Score Mixed at ???". No, I'm not kidding, someone did put three question marks there.

That's why I posted the picture.

And that's why I think the wrong file was sent to the printing press.

18 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Didn't you use to love his Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom score?

Oh I still do, but then one listens to 1:17 of “This Title Makes Me Jurassic” and wonders where we took the wrong turn in life. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally listening to my physical copy today.  I still love it, but really only once you get to the end; The final few tracks make the whole album.  This is the kind of score you could make a really killer 15-20 minute suite version of and be pretty satisfied

Sorry, I haven't followed this score and film.

I read the imdb synopsis. Is this a remake of Alive?

edit: Ah, never mind. It is..

It's NOT a remake of Alive!

It's a fresh adaptation of the same true story!

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's a fresh adaptation of the same true story!

I don't understand how this doesn't qualify it as a remake...:sarcasm:

What do you mean?

A remake is when you have rights to an existing film, and remake it.

Two completely different filmmakers making a movie about an actual thing that really happened is just.... two movies.  The one that happened to come out later isn't considered to be a remake of one that came out first.  Why would it be?

I watched the movie yesterday and really enjoyed the music. The movie itself is very good as well. It seems to me that finding this ideal combination of a great movie with an exceptional score is becoming increasingly rare, but it feels like a miracle when it happens.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a new record label called Made by Mutant and this score is going to be their first vinyl release. There is a Spanish and an English edition being released both coming with a 12-page booklet. 

This new record label is created by the same people who started Mondo. 

https://www.madebymutant.com/format/1466218-society-of-the-snow-soundtrack-from-the-netflix-film