Will JW score the Rey Skywalker movie?

crumbs

Will JW score the Rey Skywalker movie M  

79 members have voted

1. 1. See above.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

oduggm83m02c1.jpg

The "Oh, The Empire Strikes Back wasn't well recieved in its day and look at it now!" is a bit of special pleading. Yes, it didn't have the novelty that the original did, and many critics thought it was too serious. But it still got reviews almost on-par with the original.

2 minutes ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

The better question is how long until the Rey movie is cancelled?

There are now reported rumblings that the execs are worried about going forward with the Rey movie after the failure of The Marvels. But I think Kathleen Kennedy is going to exert all the influence she can to pinch it out.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

There are now reported rumblings that the execs are worried about going forward with the Rey movie after the failure of The Marvels. But I think Kathleen Kennedy is going to exert all the influence she can to pinch it out.

Phrasing!

59 minutes ago, Courtney Sees Ghosts said:

Let's be realistic. It's sad to think about, but 2026 is very far away, especially for someone John's age. He'll be 94 when the movie comes out.  Time aside, there's also the possibility that Williams is probably more than happy to step away from action heavy franchise movies (see him talking about how he initially was hesitant to score Dial of Destiny because of the time and effort it takes the score movies of this scale). Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy would probably wanna work with someone else (probably Laura Karpman). Maybe John will write a theme for a new heroine and pass the score to someone else (Powell, Giacchino, Karpman, Ross). But there's no way John Williams will score the whole movie. 

I agree with this. At this stage in his life, I think JW is content with writing concert pieces, adaptations for ASM, and at the most a small scale score for Spielberg if the opportunity arises.

2 hours ago, Bayesian said:

I'd personally love it if JW scored the rumored Napoleon miniseries Spielberg is supposedly producing (directing???) from Kubrick's abandoned script.

It's supposed to be a seven-part series, which would be a massive undertaking. But yeah, that would be something.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Isn't he too busy writing XIII-XV now anyway? Think he should be done with X-XII by now. ;)

That you, Mattris? ;-)

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It saved the main theme. 

In an interview Nathalie Holt said, she had written something similar. 

Apart from that I unfortunately really dislike her score for Kenobi.

And for Powell's Solo I would say, the moments where he uses Williams' theme are not necessarily the strongest. Apart from William Ross and Alexander Courage and some others, that worked for JW as orchestrators not many composers come to my mind, who are good at handling Williams' themes.

13 hours ago, Bayesian said:

How old was the oldest composer to write 2 hours of music and go through the whole process to do so, from spotting to conducting the studio orchestra?

The late, great Bent Fabricius-Bjerre was 94 when he scored the Danish film KOLLISION in 2019 (he passed away in 2020). I don't think there were 2 hours of music in it, though, and there was a co-composer, so perhaps not comparable. The benchmark now should be the Portuguese director Manuel de Oliveira who directed his last film at age 105(!).

7 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

In an interview Nathalie Holt said, she had written something similar. 

Apart from that I unfortunately really dislike her score for Kenobi.

And for Powell's Solo I would say, the moments where he uses Williams' theme are not necessarily the strongest. Apart from William Ross and Alexander Courage and some others, that worked for JW as orchestrators not many composers come to my mind, who are good at handling Williams' themes.

Holt's main theme is used to score the scene where Obi Wan and young Leia hold hands while on that desert transport. At least that's what she said herself in an interview about the score.

Williams has already forgotten he wrote a theme for Rey... I mean... 8 years ago.

So he'll offer to KK to write another one, then we'll have two!

And JWFanners' playlists are thrown into chaos as they have two tracks called 'Rey's Theme' and they're different themes... :huh:

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Courtney Sees Ghosts said:

Wait until Rey's apprentice is played by another cute white British brunette and John Williams will write so much music they'll have to turn it into another trilogy. 

If that's what it takes to lure John back for more Star Wars, then so be it!

1 hour ago, Courtney Sees Ghosts said:

Wait until Rey's apprentice is played by another cute white British brunette and John Williams will write so much music they'll have to turn it into another trilogy. 

The Force is strong with him. 

I wonder what JW would say if he knew that we talk about him like he is the horniest 91-year-old. 

“John Williams was many things, but what he was not was a man to say ‘no’ to.”

– Daisy Ridley

2 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

If that's what it takes to lure John back for more Star Wars, then so be it!

So, which wig are you taking for the job, then?

17 hours ago, Chen G. said:

So, which wig are you taking for the job, then?

image.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

And Blanchett in a role that was among the least-appealing she had ever looked in a film...

I wouldn't kick Irina out of bed.

IMG_3498.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Tex Avery Wolf GIFs | Tenor

Foreign female actress younger than 40: "Oh, what big eyes you have!"

JW: "All the better to see you with, my dear! Plus I got corrective surgery!"