Star Wars Trilogy: The Original Soundtrack Anthology turns 30!

Tallguy

7 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I do! And I think I remember meeting up with a fellow film music fan there once — you?

Yavar

Sadly not. I'm sorry my story can't be that cool. :)

You know, I never realized until just now: This would have been the last CD I bought from Hastings because I moved right after. That's where I bought Always and Batman Returns among a TON of other CDs / cassettes.

I maybe saw the ad for the anthology in the Lucasfilm Fan Club Magazine, which my brother was subscribed to, or leafing through a movie mag at a store. I can still picture it.

When I got my hands on the set, I was never so excited to see an asterisk, or two, next to a cue name...

*previously unreleased

**contains previously unreleased material

...of which "Final Duel" was the grail. I remember the notes saying something like: "And then comes the cue most requested by fans over the years."

I'll have to take that handsome box out of storage and give the discs a spin on the ol' CD player to celebrate the anniversary...

My story isn't nearly as heartfelt, as I just got it off eBay in the mid-2000s to add to my collection. If memory serves right, I got it for a meager 25 bucks or so. My actual first purchased SW album was the first Special Edition soundtrack (I vividly remember spotting the digipak version at our local electronics market - plus eagerly hunting down the other two in the coming months (which I, unfortunately, only got in their jewel case form).

I remember seeing to my utter surprise and elation the listing for this in the Movie Boulevard soundtracks mail-order catalogue in 1994.

Shortly thereafter I was browsing through some magazines at the local newsagent and I came across an ad in an issue of Premiere magazine. I promptly bought the mag and proceeded to try to scrutinise the tiny print on the photo to make out which tracks were previously unreleased.

I still have a clipping of the ad safely stored within my Anthology box, which I of course ordered promptly on hearing of its release. What a fantastic set this was at the time, and virtually unprecedented if I recall correctly.

33 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Shortly thereafter I was browsing through some magazines at the local newsagent and I came across an ad in an issue of Premiere magazine.

Ah yes, it must've been in 'Premiere' that I saw it too. One of the magazines I'd often peruse and not buy.

1 hour ago, Laserschwert said:

My story isn't nearly as heartfelt, as I just got it off eBay in the mid-2000s to add to my collection.

I got it off eBay in 2022. 😊

I somehow didn’t know about it when it came out. It was before the internet, mind you.
It really is an essential set for a JW and Star Wars fan. I hope that if we’ll ever get a remastered complete OT set, it will be made in a similar fashion. 

I won't bore you again with the story how I lost and regained the Return of the Jedi disk of that box.

And I don't remember where and how I bought it. Must have been around the time it came out.

Still I would say, these disks have the best single disk program for each movie. Even though the Mynock Cave Escape is painfully missing in the TESB program.

And, what I especially like, it has a version of the main title without the end titles extension on the bonus disk.

1 hour ago, Laserschwert said:

My actual first purchased SW album was the first Special Edition soundtrack (I vividly remember spotting the digipak version at our local electronics market - plus eagerly hunting down the other two in the coming months (which I, unfortunately, only got in their jewel case form).

I got Empire and Jedi in 1997 on my vacation in Paris, from the Virgin Megastore. And for some idiotic reason I didn’t get STAR WARS as a digipack, although I had it in my hands! (maybe my Dad only allowed me to get two sets and I had to choose which one to leave and I thought that since I had seen Empire and Jedi the most times, I would pick those, I don’t remember).
I bought it in the jewel case version some time later. And then a year ago I finally got the digipack off eBay. 

5 minutes ago, JTW said:

It really is an essential set for a JW and Star Wars fan.

Only until we get the ultimate remastered 23-disk complete box of all three trilogies... in aproximately 54 years for the 100th anniversary of Star Wars. 

But when I see, that the uncomplete 5-disk Indy set costs already $150 it is fair to assume that I will have to decide if I burn my house or kill myself or both, to be able to pay it from the insurance money.

7 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Only until we get the ultimate remastered 23-disk complete box of all three trilogies...

For a friendly price of $1499.99 

21 minutes ago, JTW said:

I got Empire and Jedi in 1997 on my vacation in Paris, from the Virgin Megastore. And for some idiotic reason I didn’t get STAR WARS as a digipack, although I had it in my hands!

I bought it in the jewel case version some time later. And then a year ago I finally got the digipack off eBay. 

That reminds me, I still need to check my SE digipaks to see whether the discs have gone rotten (apparently a thing caused by the glue used in the cardboard packaging). Fortunately I also have the jewel case versions.

Just now, JTWfan77 said:

That reminds me, I still need to check my SE digipaks to see whether the discs have gone rotten (apparently a thing caused by the glue used in the cardboard packaging). Fortunately I also have the jewel case versions.

That happened to my sets! The surface of the discs had some sort of white substance on them after a while, so I stopped playing them and played the jewel case versions instead. It was caused by the glue, you say? Wow!

1 minute ago, JTWfan77 said:

Yeah I read that on FSM I think. I literally have not looked at mine for more than a decade but I should.

This reminds me that the same thing happened to the discs of The Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition. I had to buy another set and those discs are fine. 

This is a set that comes up in conversations with regular intervals, most recently in the "Now Playing (Older Scores)" thread this November. Since I've told my story several times before in these conversations, I decided to just go back to that last one and more or less copy/paste what I wrote there:

"My first encounter with the Anthology box was at the FNAC music store in Paris in 1995, much to my wide-eyed surprise. I was on a school trip to France at the time. I couldn't afford it then, but a year later I ordered it from a mail order catalogue back in Norway. This was last year in high school, I went down to the post office during lunch recess, picked it up and opened it by the lockers with a friend of mine. It was a great 'un-boxing' session, except for the fact that the booklet glue had gone bad and the pages fell apart at the seams. I remember being surprised to see Lukas Kendall writing the liner notes. I had just started subscribing to FSM a year earlier and was familiar with his name through that. To this day, it's still the only-ever release I need of the original trilogy STAR WARS scores (I had all the 2CD "book" RCA sets at one point, but sold or traded them subsequently)."

Still the best sounding release of the OT scores. In 1993, I was 9, and I didn't know anything about soundtracks, music, Star Wars, or John Williams. My first exposure to the soundtracks was the SE release, a set which took me 2 years to complete (those things were expensive for a poor kid in Indiana). I bought the Anthology off eBay a couple of years ago, and listen to it regularly. 

47 minutes ago, Thor said:

To this day, it's still the only-ever release I need of the original trilogy STAR WARS scores

The only good Star Wars score is the complete SW score. The more the merrier. Every note JW ever wrote for his masterpieces needs to be released in the best possible quality, owned, listened to and studied. 

Goodness me, 30 years! I bought mine on the day of release from Tower Records on Picadilly Circus (long since gone). I’d never spent so much on CDs before, it felt crazy. But I felt like I was in some exclusive club of owning something truly special. And the ‘black on black’ artwork - ridiculous but also brilliant because that’s what you get when you’re in the exclusive club! And a couple of years later when I finally got to see JW live, it was this set that I asked him to sign for me. 

4 minutes ago, scoreman36 said:

And a couple of years later when I finally got to see JW live, it was this set that I asked him to sign for me. 

Would you care to show a photo of it? I’m sure others would be happy to see it. Thanks!

Sure. Last day of work today before my Christmas break. I’ve got a nice bottle of port that I’m going to crack open tomorrow and then listen to this set in honour of 30yrs of JW collecting. I’ll post a pic at the same time. 

This was perhaps the best present my sister ever bought me - she'd seen it when she was working in the US and bought me the box for Christmas. It blew me away and continues to do so - always a physical copy guy, I've curated the playlist to my own tastes and burned them as playback CDs - the sound is just spectacular. 30 years - wow.

17 hours ago, JTW said:

somehow didn’t know about it when it came out. It was before the internet, mind you.

No, it wasn't! I learned about the existence of this set through the internet! It was before broadband, websites and forums, but it was not before dial up and usenet!

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

No, it wasn't! I learned about the existence of this set through the internet! It was before websites and forums, but it was not before Usenet!

It was here in Hungary. Only a handful of people had internet connection in their home before 1995. I certainly didn’t.

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

I would have learned about this by reading this post by @Lukas Kendall in rec.arts.sf.starwars in 1993:

Nice. I wasn't so lucky to have internet in 1993. Most of us weren't back then, for that matter.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Now I'm wondering if it was in Premier. 

Any chance I could trouble you for a scan?

I'm 100% sure it was.

I don't have a scanner at home and need to dig my set out, but I'll see if I can post a photo.

1 minute ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'm 100% sure it was.

I don't have a scanner at home and need to dig my set out, but I'll seemif I can post a photo.

I say "scan" to mean "picture on the internet". Photo would be outstanding. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

This fascinates me. For one thing I was 8 when I got the original double LP. And although it grew on me (because it was Star Wars) I didn't have anticipation for it. Your story is ground zero nerd love. Wow.

In the coming years before the SE sets this (rather pricey) box was the only way to get the Trilogy music. (Was that really only a four year gap? Astounding!) I remember working in a music store in 1994 and there was a kid who wanted Star Wars music. Being rather socially tone-deaf and also a zealot it never occurred to me to offer the Skywalker Symphony or another re-recording that was more in line with what the kid's Mom was willing to spend. I mean your grade school child likes Star Wars, why WOULDN'T you buy him an expensive, elaborate box set for music that he THINKS he might like? Yes, sometimes I was a cautionary tale.

"Your story is ground zero nerd love." ROTFLMAO

Yeah I think the anthology boxset was £99.99 in HMV. It took me a while to save up for the special edition sets as well, however they seemed to be more mainstream and appeared in far more stores than the anthology set did. I didn't have the internet at that point, stumbling on releases was really my only way of finding these things out, we had the internet at school but it had filters for anything that wasn't related to the lessons. When I stumbled on the Empire SE set in HMV it was in one of those empty cases with a blue card saying Empire Strikes Back Special Edition blah blah ask at the counter. I asked to see it and I remember my eye's widening at the track list for Disc One Track 4, "Aboard The Executor", I thought this is it! the film version of the march at last! Nope! :(. I begged my Mother to buy it but it was £49.99! I had no chance. That was the leather non plastic version. 

This was only the second CD release I’d ever owned (after Jurassic Park earlier the same year). Disc Three remains my favorite presentation of Return of the Jedi, both for the sound quality and sequencing. It’s essentially the double LP that never was.

Also: kudos to whomever did the mockup of a nine-film Star Wars soundtrack collection boxset, which nodded to the black-on-black look of this set.

I bought this set in the fall of 1994, at the Tower records store downtown NY while on tour with the Montreal Symphony. It was a total surprise as I wasn’t following anything soundtrack related at the time. I couldn’t wait for the tour to be over so I could go home and listen to it.

I love this set.

It's funny to read all these reactions to the extra stuff on Disc 4. For me, that wasn't even on my mind. I was enthralled by the look of the box, the booklet (despite failing glue), the artwork, the black covers, the fact that I owned music from all three STAR WARS films (this was when the prequels were barely even a rumour). I did notice the fourth disc, of course, but had more a reaction like "hmm, what a weird curiousity thing". I think I played that disc once or twice immediately after I got the box, mostly for the source music and the "ewok celebration" end piece, but then never again since.

49 minutes ago, Thor said:

I think I played that disc once or twice immediately after I got the box, mostly for the source music and the "ewok celebration" end piece, but then never again since.

Now that's just silly. Never mind The Destruction of Alderaan. Or Standing By. Or the film version of Funeral Pyre for a Jedi. Or even Drawing the Battle Lines / Leia's Instructions. (The titles are so much better than the "standard" ones we have now.)

Disc 4 has Carbon Freeze / Luke Pursues The Captives/ Departure Of Boba Fett!

(I just realized that TIE Fighter, Boba Fett, and Ewok are all named on the albums despite never being named in the films! :D )

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

By the time this set is being released we'll be on Star Wars: Episode XVIII, composed and conducted by the biologically engineered John Williams clone, who retains all of his memories and musical knowledge in the body of when he was 35.

No more Foundation for you!

40 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

*blushes* :wub:

SWCOMPLETESOUNDTRACKLALALANDNEW.png

Jim Titus called, he wants to "steal" your design. ;) 

22 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

By the time this set is being released we'll be on Star Wars: Episode XVIII, composed and conducted by the biologically engineered John Williams clone

Are you kidding? He will be alive and well, looking better than ever.