John Powell's HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON: THE HIDDEN WORLD (2019) - 2024 Varese Deluxe Edition

Faleel

2 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

No blood on this one, but here's another concept art cover.

New NO OST.png

Looks off center to me.

The deluxe banner tricks the eye a bit, but the logos are centered to the whole image. I guess there's an argument to be made for logos to be centered in respect to the part of the image without the side banner.

I should remind everybody that the left-side DELUXE EDITION banner is not on the ACTUAL physical CD cover, it's part of the behind-the-CD inlay artwork that shows through since its in a clear jewel case.  They throw it on the digital version cover just to help people know when browsing online which album they're looking at I guess

I have a great custom cover for 1 without any banner and ones for 3 without a banner would be cool too!

I've never thought of the banner as something they throw on the digital version to help browsing - it feels like an integral part of the design. If it were just part of the inlay design they probably wouldn't go to the trouble of designing it to match the cover colours so much.

I just had a look at the first one and they've very subtly shifted the logo to the right on the digital version so they have room to put the banner on the left. They're going to have to do that to some extent on every DE (all since Wild Wild West) so that it's centered even with the banner being on the cover.

For reference this is the exact same image I uploaded above just with no banner added.

New OST.png

I also have a slightly modified version of my cover from last year without the banner.

How to Train Your Dragon 3 revised clean.png

37 minutes ago, Jay said:

I have a great custom cover for 1 without any banner

Are you willing to share this?

And my any chance have any for 2 as well?

• 2 weeks later...

One month to go until the CD goes up for sale!

How close will the CD tracklist match the Omni book cue list?

1. Rescue Mission
2. Busy Busy Berk 23
3. Busy Busy Berk Pt. 2
4. Marry Her – Grimmel’s Terms
5. Legend Has It
6. Mysterious Creature
7. In Love
8. Dart Trap
9. Grimmel Visits – First Fight
10. Townhall – Exodus
11. Setting up Camp
12. Valka’s Warning
13. Toothless Goes a Courtin’
14. Toothless Flies Alone
15. Near Miss
16. Romance in the Clouds
17. New Berk Feast

18. Ambush – Cage Fight
19. Stronger Together
20. New Island
21. Into the Hole
22. The Hidden World Suite
23. With Love Comes Loss
24. Grimmel’s Surprise
25. The Hiccup I Know – Battle Intro
26. Armada Battle Pt. 1
27. Armada Battle Pt. 2
28. Ultimate Sacrafice
29. Freedom
30. Viking Wedding
31. Boat Epilogue
32. Finale
33. The Hidden World

#2 tracklist is the same as the chapter list, except for the demos, and what's there is mostly the same as the promo for #3 so I think we do have our tracklist.

Cues above that don't clearly match a track in the FYC are:

- Busy Busy Berk Pt. 2 (?)

- Setting up Camp

- Valka's warning

- New Berk Feast

- New Island

- Grimmel’s Surprise

Although there's also the suite which the promo doesn't have, so if there are again about 20 mins of demos then that makes around 13-14 mins of additional music in those 5/6 tracks. Surprisingly it would appear there are no alternates either, and... no stupid Jonsi song?

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Surprisingly it would appear there are no alternates either, and... no stupid Jonsi song?

Why would the Jonsi song be in the Omni book?

Because I got confused after looking at the chapter list for #2 and saw Where No One Goes, which of course has Powell elements. I've had a mentally busy day today :mellow:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm avoiding listening to the OST too much now because the DE will be C&C and a slightly different listening experience. It's actually 10 days instead of two weeks, although it'll certainly be two weeks before non-Americans get their mitts on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I still think they could have used these for the covers..

https://screenrant.com/train-dragon-trilogy-posters-drew-struzan/

and this one

image.jpeg

btw struzan came out of retirement in 2019 to make the trilogy posters.

did they ask him for dial of destiny? Or they just forgot

him… as it seems it happens more than often in this business…

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

did they ask him for dial of destiny

Well, at least when asked about it (thousands of times on social media), Struzan HIMSELF was adamant that he is retired. Since according to him, the meddling on his Crystal Skull poster was the reason he quit the business in the first place, I guess he wasn't keen to return to that franchise.

Damn, I thought this would be available on streaming… but I’m not seeing it on YouTube Music 😞

Edit:

According to this subreddit (there’s a dedicated sub to these scores???) I guess the digital/streaming might debut in April

https://www.reddit.com/r/HTTYDSoundtracks/comments/1axvoaa/wait_is_the_deluxe_album_not_on_the_23rd_of_feb/

It's not out/announced yet, Varese put releases out only when they feel like it. Do we even know if the digital is coming he same day?

We know for certain it's not on digital today. One of Powell's instagram posts stated two dates a couple of months apart.

Thankfully, all being well this will ship today and start making progress across the pond over the weekend. But if Hellboy can be immediately available to stream, why not this?

2 hours ago, Fargo said:

Damn, I thought this would be available on streaming… but I’m not seeing it on YouTube Music 😞

Edit:

According to this subreddit (there’s a dedicated sub to these scores???) I guess the digital/streaming might debut in April

https://www.reddit.com/r/HTTYDSoundtracks/comments/1axvoaa/wait_is_the_deluxe_album_not_on_the_23rd_of_feb/

Why go to reddit?  The answers you seek are always on JWFan... in the same thread you're asking the question in!

On 31/10/2023 at 11:22 AM, Jay said:

5 Cat Studios' website has revealed that Varese's CD edition will have a 2-month exclusive window before the expanded edition shows up on digital stores/streamers

February 23, 2024
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Deluxe Edition) [CD]

April 26, 2024
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Deluxe Edition) [Digital]

https://5catstudios.com/listen

No, the other film music stores always stock Varese's club titles

Unless they recently decided to stop doing that, I suppose!

However, they don't offer reseller discounts to those stores, so those stores have to charge more than Varese does on their own websites.  So in the US, it's always cheaper to order directly from Varese.  Internationally, YMMV

I have listened to the deluxe editions for the first two scores today. As terrific as ever, I cannot wait to get my hands on the new one.

Karol

13 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

One hour!

Now have the decision of whether to order from this new international arrangement. I guess we'll see whether it appears later on.

Wait, this has different arrangements?

:: runs! ::

2 hours ago, Jay said:

5 Cat Studios' website has revealed that Varese's CD edition will have a 2-month exclusive window before the expanded edition shows up on digital stores/streamers

February 23, 2024
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Deluxe Edition) [CD]

April 26, 2024
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Deluxe Edition) [Digital]

Well, that exclusivity will be very limited then... europeans will receive their CDs in April, good job Varese :mellow:

International site says "This product is a PRE-ORDER. Ships on or before March 22nd, 2024.". So whatever can happen, how should they know, they're only the ones selling it which they've known for a long while