Predict your top-5 2024 Most Likely JW expanded releases

Dr. Rick

Prediction time folks!  Note, this is not a "Most Wanted" list but "Most Likely".  Purely non-scientific on my part with absolutely no insider information :lol:  JW scores ONLY

• The Patriot (Intrada)
  • Cinderella Liberty (Intrada)
  • JFK (LLL)
  • CMIYK (LLL)
  • The Terminal (LLL)

Other possibilities?  Perhaps Reivers or  SYIT  ?  As the years go by we're left with fewer and fewer choices, which I guess is both good and bad :lol:

1 hour ago, Dr. Rick said:
  • JFK (LLL)

Unfortunately I don't think JFK is happening anytime soon given that WB is apparently closed for the labels :( 

The Patriot and Nixon (on Intrada) and Catch Me If You Can, Seven Years on Tibet and The Terminal are pretty good bets though.

Also Born on the Fourth of July. This year will be the 35th birthday. Let's hope Cruise will approve all of his pictures in time for the, well, fourth of July lol.

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Gladiator

He put this thread in the JW subforum, so I assume he's asking only about JW expansions, not ones from other composers.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

He put this thread in the JW subforum, so I assume he's asking only about JW expansions, not ones from other composers.

Yep, updated thread title JW only  :)

I only read thread titles - I rarely notice which forum it's in. (Unread Content page is your friend)

And I'm just putting my thoughts down... none of this Williams-only nonsense ;) 

17 minutes ago, Smaug The Iron said:

The Terminal (La La Land)

The Patriot (Intrada)

Born of The fourth of July (La La Land)

Catch Me If You Can (La La Land)

Angela’s Ashes (La La Land)

I'd be extremely pleased with all 5 of those!

Honestly, how much is missing from Stepmom?

Either way, since LLL did Sabrina last year, I think it'd be interesting if they also tackled the other JW smaller/more intimate drama scores from the 90s: Sleepers, Stepmom, Angela's Ashes...

@Smaug The Iron But why are Stepmom and Sleepers unlikely?

For JFK and Witches of Eastwick there is this Warner issue. Ok. But for Stepmom and Sleepers?

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Honestly, how much is missing from Stepmom?

I mean, how much is missing from Angela's Ashes? Is there anything missing?

6 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I mean, how much is missing from Angela's Ashes? Is there anything missing?

In Angela's Ashes cases, a new and improved version would be welcomed if only to get rid of the stupid dialogues over the music :lol::P

21 minutes ago, Smaug The Iron said:

They are not unlikely, just that the other five is more likely in my opinion. 

But why?

25 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

In Angela's Ashes cases, a new and improved version would be welcomed if only to get rid of the stupid dialogues over the music :lol::P

Luckily the OST album in Germany was without dialogue. :)

21 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

And are there expansions of The Paper Chase and The Reivers already existing?

The Paper Chase cannot be "expanded", because it never had an OST album to begin with.  The first time music from it was released was 19 years after the film came out, on Film Score Monthly's 1998 release of The Poseidon Adventure.  I do not know if the 30 minutes on that disc are the entire score or not; I've never seen the movie.  Varese later included the end titles on a 20th Century Fox 75th Anniversary 3-CD compilation in 2010.

The Reivers DID have an OST album in 1969 on CBS Records, a label later absorbed into Sony Music.  When Sony Music issued the album on the CD format in 1995, they "expanded" it by adding one additional track.  I believe the specialty labels have never tackled this one because no elements exist anywhere.  The film was made by a former studio National General Pictures - which went defunct 5 years after the movie came out.  While Warner Bros. supposedly inherited their library, I doubt any scoring elements in NGP's vaults made it over.

Looking at the list of films NGP made, I don't think the specialty labels haven't tackled a single one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_General_Pictures#Partial_list_of_film_titles

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The Paper Chase cannot be "expanded", because it never had an OST album to begin with.  The first time music from it was released was 19 years after the film came out, on Film Score Monthly's 1998 release of The Poseidon Adventure.  I do not know if the 30 minutes on that disc are the entire score or not; I've never seen the movie.

Well, Film Score Monthly released Jerry Goldsmith's The Flim-Flam Man a little later, with what they (at the time) claimed was the complete score. And then it turned out that they had left off one cue just under a minute long. I would still describe the La-La Land edition of it as "expanded" because it's longer than the (any) previous released. Similarly Jerry Goldsmith's score to Magic was premiered on CD long after the film's release by Varese Sarabande. They left off a single 23 second cue, which La-La Land later premiered on album when they revisited the title. As silly as it may seem I even consider than an "expanded" release because it has added music which the previous release lacked. So why is the existence of an OST album at the time of the film what's needed to say something can be expanded? Isn't the important question whether everything recorded for a film has been released? And you've just said that in the case of The Paper Chase, you don't know. So how can you claim authoritatively that it "cannot be expanded"? I personally would love at least if a new (mostly?) stereo edition of it could be produced, along the lines of what Mike Matessino did for Kritzerland on Goldsmith's Rio Conchos (originally on a mostly-mono FSM release). There's been a lot of new software invented to deal with wow and other tape damage, and I wouldn't be surprised if a vastly improved The Paper Chase (expanded or not) could be possible. I'll buy it if it happens!

And while we are at it I'd really like to have more of Conrack too.

Yavar

An expanded release refers to a release with more music than the OST album.  The Paper Chase never had an OST album.  So any release of its music are different catalog releases of its score.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Looking at the list of films NGP made, the specialty labels haven't tackled a single one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_General_Pictures#Partial_list_of_film_titles

Reel Music Down Under was an Australian film music specialty label and this is a good release:

https://www.discogs.com/release/6298961-Fred-Karlin-The-Stalking-Moon

Also, I know we all hated Stylotone for forcing us to buy LP copies of albums in order to get CDs, but did they not count as a "film music specialty label" for some reason? They put out Herrmann's Twisted Nerve, complete, with the cooperation of the Herrmann Estate:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=114145

Prometheus Records (now defunct...maybe?) released Big Jake by Elmer Bernstein: 

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1190/0636/products/9b39b735-be2f-4fa4-9a6d-3ffddbe80274_2048x2048.jpg?v=1456926936

They also premiered Rio Lobo on album, later revisited by La-La Land:

https://lalalandrecords.com/rio-lobo-limited-edition/

And surely you would count Kritzerland releasing A Boy Named Charlie Brown?

http://www.kritzerland.com/boy_charlie_brown.htm

Or FSM releasing an expanded edition of Rosenman's A Man Called Horse?

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/466/Man-Called-Horse-A/

Or Judge Roy Bean?

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/367/Life-and-Times-of-Judge-Roy-Bean-The/

Or Monte Walsh?

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/cdID/21/

Or The Getaway (unused)?

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/350/Getaway-The-Unused-Score-The/

Yavar

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Because SW and "most likely" are not compatible terms.   

To be fair the last two even numbered years we've gotten Star Wars score expansions...

The Rogue One one surprise dropped about 2 years ago to the date, perhaps it's a pattern 

7 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

To be fair the last two even numbered years we've gotten Star Wars score expansions...

The Rogue One one surprise dropped about 2 years ago to the date, perhaps it's a pattern 

This comment is akin to Dangerfield's complaint to his wife that she is never interested in sex, to which she replies, what are you talking about?  I have sex all the time.  

The Sugarland Express LLL: after all it's the 50th anniversary so that might change Williams mind about it

Born on the Fourth of July LLL: if Tom Cruise had time to agree to the visuals of the UHD release he might as well have took some time for the expansion

The Terminal LLL: 20th anniversary is a perfect time for a complete release

Cinderella Liberty Intrada: Williams seems to love that score and Intrada is working on at least two Williams so this one would be the best candidat

The Rare Breed Intrada: after Denève recent statement I like to think it's really coming

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Using advanced math, I calculated the probability of Disney releasing the complete John Williams scores for Star Wars within the next three years:

Reveal hidden contents

Hmmmm. "So you're saying there's a chance" or "Never tell me the odds"? Choices choices.

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Using advanced math, I calculated the probability of Disney releasing the complete John Williams scores for Star Wars within the next three years:

Hide contents

0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

Star Wars GIF

Btw, what's the story behind your profile pic? Did you lose a bet? 

Can I just have a replacement disc for my faulty expanded Schindler’s List CD2, I’l be happy. Thanks.

Thats it for 2024.

I’ll make grander wishes for 2025, I promise.

6 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

The Terminal LLL: 20th anniversary is a perfect time for a complete release

Given how long some of these releases are in gestation, I wonder how any anniversary release actually happens on its anniversary. Hopefully this would be one of Mike's simpler projects.

On 30/01/2024 at 5:51 PM, GerateWohl said:

Nobody wants Sleeper or Stepmom?

I'm encouraged to see this (latter) on only two peoples' lists tbh. There are so many more pressing expansions for the labels to be working towards than whatever's missing from that.

11 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Given how long some of these releases are in gestation, I wonder how any anniversary release actually happens on its anniversary. Hopefully this would be one of Mike's simpler projects.

Well we've got a bunch of them:

• War of the Worlds for its 15th anniversary
  • Saving Private Ryan for its 20th anniversary
  • A.I. for its 20th anniversary
  • Amistad  for its 25th anniversary
  • Home Alone for its 25th anniversary
  • Schindler's List for its 25th anniversary
  • E.T. for its 35th and 40th anniversary
  • Jaws for its 40th anniversary
  • Superman for its 40th anniversary
  • CE3K for its 40th and 45th anniversary
  • Fiddler on the Roof for its 50th anniversary
  • Lost in Space for its 40th and 50th anniversary
  • Land of the Giants for its 50th anniversary

7 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Might Cinderella Liberty be unlikely because the OST has just been published completely as part of the Ecoutez le cinema boxset?

Did that set use the same album master as the last Intrada reissue?

If not, and it uses brand new transfers of the scoring elements, that might be a solid hint a remaster is in the works.

Also interesting that Williams wrote a new violin arrangement back in 2020, so the score was fresh in his mind for some reason.