John Williams on Variety Cover (article & video)

20 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

What if John Williams is in fact behind Mattriss and has been using the Star Wars Disenchantment to torment his fans that for years have complained about unreleased cues and microedits?

i actually hope so.  because i have always been a Mattriss fan.

and to think it's the GOAT JW this whole time??? hell yeah.

27 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

because i have always been a Mattriss fan.

I didn't realize this was possible

16 minutes ago, Brando said:

I didn't realize this was possible

Well, he alone turned a thread that was supposed to be about people complaining about The Last Jedi into a treaty on Star Wars fandom. In the future, people studying the impact of the Star Wars movies will read each one of the 10,000 posts of that thread for research purposes :lol:

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

In the future, people studying the impact of the Star Wars movies will read each one of the 10,000 posts of that thread for research purposes :lol:

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Or just saying, Robert Eggers' upcoming Nosferatu movie is produced by Chris Columbus :stir:

Scoring a (sort of) remake of a film he's already done 45 years earlier would be a first, I think?

9 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Scoring a (sort of) remake of a film he's already done 45 years earlier would be a first, I think?

The Force Awakens says hello.  

24 minutes ago, Tom said:

The Force Awakens says hello.  

I was going to add "…that's not part of the same official film series", but forgot.

And HA2 came first.

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I was going to add "…that's not part of the same official film series", but forgot.

And HA2 came first.

Jaws 2?

On 07/03/2024 at 2:41 PM, JTN said:

“Over the nine “Star Wars” films he scored, Williams has written 45 identifiable, recurring themes — or so he’s been told by fans. (“It’s hard to believe, but I imagine people are seriously counting.”)”

😂

Wait, there are people who haven't tried counting the themes and motives? Wow. 

7 hours ago, pete said:

Yep, normal people. 

9 hours ago, pete said:

I think the moment I realised just how reductive the whole process is was when I saw a theme "guide" for Tristan, where almost all the themes listed were named like: Love, Love's longing, passion, love's bliss, love-death, love's desire, love's caresses, love potion, love's overwhelming power, the magic of love...

14 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Not 45 years, but Jonathan Elias scored both the original CHILDREN OF THE CORN from 1984 and the 2009 remake. So 25 years.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Not 45 years, but Jonathan Elias scored both the original CHILDREN OF THE CORN from 1984 and the 2009 remake. So 25 years.

Oh, I meant a first for Williams. But yes, there can't be many other composers who have done it either.

There is also a new Superman film that is already shooting, I believe.   

10 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I think the moment I realised just how reductive the whole process is was when I saw a theme "guide" for Tristan, where almost all the themes listed were named like: Love, Love's longing, passion, love's bliss, love-death, love's desire, love's caresses, love potion, love's overwhelming power, the magic of love...

65474._UX160_.jpg

2 hours ago, Tom said:

That one has the Suicide Squad 2020/Guardians 3 guy

3 hours ago, Tom said:

12 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

That one has the Suicide Squad 2020/Guardians 3 guy

Yeah, John Murphy is scoring it. He has been Gunn's guy since The Suicide Squad.

But it would be cool to see how a collaboration between James Gunn and John Williams would be. I wonder how he'd react to all the pop songs Gunn inevitably will put in the soundtrack.

4 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, John Murphy is scoring it. He has been Gunn's guy since The Suicide Squad.

But it would be cool to see how a collaboration between James Gunn and John Williams would be. I wonder how he'd react to all the pop songs Gunn inevitably will put in the soundtrack.

"Back in my day, the only pop song that ended up being used in Superman movies was Supertramp!"

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The fact that Gunn is a writer and doesn’t keep re-editing in post would make a collaboration much more interesting than with most Hollywood directors nowadays.

13 hours ago, Faleel said:

"Back in my day, the only pop song that ended up being used in Superman movies was Supertramp!"

Yeah, and what a surprise that was! I mean, when I first saw SUPERMAN in the mid 80s, I wasn't a Supertramp fan yet, so I didn't really notice it. It's just a few seconds on the car radio, after all. But then when I rewatched it years later, when Supertramp had become my favourite band, it was an awesome discovery. Creative use too, not only because of the "Super" connection, but because the "Give a Little Bit" lyrics mirror the extreme measure Supes is about to take, to save his love. 

The post-production schedule for Jurassic 7 lines up with Williams' availability too. Seems crazy but maybe he'd lend a theme or two for another composer to adapt (Powell?)

Of course, he was asked to score Jurassic World and turned it down but his schedule was stacked in 2015 (with BOS and TFA).

17 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Sorry. I don't want anymore franchise blockbuster scores by Williams.

The only franchise sequel, that I would love to be scored by him is Tintin 2.

WIll never happen because even if they started filming today, the film would take 3 years to finish.

And for whatever reason Jackson seems completely disinterested in making feature films anymore.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

WIll never happen because even if they started filming today, the film would take 3 years to finish.

And for whatever reason Jackson seems completely disinterested in making feature films anymore.

Right. I am also not really waiting for that to happen. 

Actually, I am not expecting Williams to write any more movie scores. 

10 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Sorry. I don't want anymore franchise blockbuster scores by Williams.

8 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Actually, I am not expecting Williams to write any more movie scores. 

Beating a dead horse but I'll take whatever I can get. I don't especially need more franchise blockbuster scores either, after the decade he just gave us and considering he seems over it. But a third Jurassic could be something. I would also be happy with another WWII era drama. 

The MOST exciting thing would be an original film in an unexpected genre with an unexpected director, but I'm completely at peace with that never happening again and have been for years. Overall even though we still have more to hear from his oeuvre as a whole, for my own sanity I'm going along assuming that we now have John Williams's complete filmography, weird as it is to say. The only real hope I'm allowing myself is for Spielberg to eventually get going on something and just see what happens.

14 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Overall even though we still have more to hear from his oeuvre as a whole, for my own sanity I'm going along assuming that we now have John Williams's complete filmography, weird as it is to say.

True. But for me, that would only be sad up to a certain point, because he has such a HUGE back catalogue. There are still several feature film scores that have no soundtrack release whatsoever. And there's still a bunch of television scores that haven't even been unearthed, much less released. And even if there comes a time when everything has been charted, and everything has been released (which is unlikely), there are still endless amounts to enjoy for the remainder of one's own lifetime - across film scores, TV scores, concert works, pianist gigs, arrangements works, Boston Pops albums etc. etc.

Of course. My John Williams fandom will never die. Even not counting all the mysterious music that has never been heard, there is a ton of Williams music already available I still have yet to hear, or I'm unfamiliar with having only listened once or twice. I've already had the experience many times of scores I think I know well but I hear cues with new ears that never quite registered before. That will continue. But there ain't no Williams score like a new Williams score, no matter where it ranks!

I know we are a score-first fandom in general, but I think we can expect several more concert pieces (and maybe a fun occasion piece here and there).*

*and maybe, just maybe, if we hang around long enough we will get to hear the Vienna Ball Fanfare.  

5 hours ago, Tom said:

I know we are a score-first fandom in general, but I think we can expect several more concert pieces (and maybe a fun occasion piece here and there).*

*and maybe, just maybe, if we hang around long enough we will get to hear the Vienna Ball Fanfare.  

There are only a handful of his concertos and other non-film things that I regularly go back to, but I do always look forward to them and am for sure intrigued by the piano concerto. 

My #1 hope right now, film or not, is that he'll be around to write something for the LA Summer Olympics in 2028. 

It seems like we are close enough in range of the Olympics that they would ask him.  It would be a cool bookend of sorts with the 84 LA games.  

On 20/3/2024 at 4:20 PM, JohnnyD said:

Anything exclusive to the print copy not included in the online article? I'm debating whether or not to get this.

No. The photos and article are identical. The last page of the magazine has a nice photo of Goldie Hawn presenting Johnny with his Oscar. 
IMG_4675.jpeg

and the contents page has a behind the scenes pic. 

IMG_4676.jpeg

But Variety is a weird magazine. There are more pages of ads congratulating Lenny Kravitz for his Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame than there are for JW. :sarcasm:

Unfortunately, I've had no luck finding a copy at local stores. ☹️

IMG_4012.jpeg

It would appear that Williams wears Skechers when he sketches!

image.gif

image.jpeg

Williams holding two golden idols!

image.gif

3 hours ago, Andy said:

and the contents page has a behind the scenes pic. 

Why?

I guess an artistic choice for the publisher and editor to show what went into the article, rather than just show another Williams photo.  It’s not too uncommon to see that sort of thing in print mags. 

1 minute ago, Andy said:

I guess an artistic choice for the publisher and editor to show what went into the article, rather than just show another Williams photo.

Why?

2 hours ago, Andy said:

I guess an artistic choice for the publisher and editor to show what went into the article, rather than just show another Williams photo.  It’s not too uncommon to see that sort of thing in print mags. 

t2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Joe Kraemer gave his opinion over the John Williams interview on Variety:

I love seeing John Wiliams get the recognition he deserves. He's the one guy who is able to consistently keep top quality writing in his work. Spielberg's lamentation about the drought of thematic scoring in movies is not necessarily because composers these days can't write themes, but because most filmmakers don't want themes in their scores anymore. Those of us who love thematic scoring aren't getting the calls, as film music becomes more and more a realm of what I think of as "tonal sound design". Everyone keeps telling me the kind of music I have spent my life learning to write will come back around. I hope they're right 🙂

Source

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Joe Kraemer gave his opinion over the John Williams interview on Variety...

Don't worry, Joe. The classical scoring style went out of fashion before in the '60s, and came roaring back in the '70s, thanks largely to Williams... It'll come around again once the current fad fades. These things are cyclical.