DIAGON ALLEY TRACK MOVIE vs SOUNDTRACK ALBUM

Hi everyone,

The music during the Diagon Alley scene in the Philosopher's Stone movie IS NOT the same as the track named "Diagon Alley and the Gringotts Vault" in the soundtrack album of the movie. Does anybody know if the music of the movie scene is available somehow? Thank you for any info about it.

5 hours ago, ALEXANDRE P said:

Hi everyone,

The music during the Diagon Alley scene in the Philosopher's Stone movie IS NOT the same as the track named "Diagon Alley and the Gringotts Vault" in the soundtrack album of the movie. Does anybody know if the music of the movie scene is available somehow? Thank you for any info about it.

7. Diagon Alley and The Gringotts Vault [Extended Version]  4:50
https://lalalandrecords.com/harry-potter-the-john-williams-soundtrack-collection-limited-edition-7-cd-box-set/

I could swear in the earlier days of collecting I must've downloaded Entry into the Great Hall... more than once out of assumption that a copy was going round with half the track missing. Maybe he intended to include it at one point and forgot to rename the track? Given its omission from there and just how damn well it works in the alley sequence it felt like a double betrayal.

The whole OST is frustrating to me anyway. The Children's suite is written in such a different style to the score that creating a concept album that blended the two doesn't work for me at all.

Philosopher's Stone was the first OST album I owned. At that time, I only had the 1997 SW set and the TPM UE, so I assumed that a soundtrack album always included the complete soundtrack.

I had seen the film and the Diagon Alley/Great Hall music was one of my favourite pieces... and I just couldn't believe it wasn't on the set. That was my first encounter with the frustrating nature of the OST albums. 

I don't know whether I got this or LotR first, but both are textbook examples of albums missing vast amounts of music, and therefore maximum confusion for a new soundtrack fan.

But AFAIK this is the only example of Williams omitting music promised by a track title.

HP1 especially is a score you just need from beginning to end. And if one needs to cut, one should stick to the film order and not waste time on a suite that nobody was missing to begin with because they didn't know it. Mind, I don't understand why JKR had to be difficult about a separate release. Her books made people read, why couldn't they make people listen to the orchestra?

2 hours ago, Holko said:

My mantra while writing it out was "make Daddy Jay proud" :blush:

When I first saw the length and meticulousness of this post, I assumed it was Jay!

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Mind, I don't understand why JKR had to be difficult about a separate release. Her books made people read, why couldn't they make people listen to the orchestra?

I don't know this story.  What happened?

2 hours ago, King Mark said:

what I want is a good recording of the Children's Suite version  with the alternate bombastic ending.

Didn't some orchestra just release this?  Maybe Japan or eastern Europe.  I cannot remember--maybe someone here does. 

21 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

HP1 especially is a score you just need from beginning to end. And if one needs to cut, one should stick to the film order and not waste time on a suite that nobody was missing to begin with because they didn't know it. Mind, I don't understand why JKR had to be difficult about a separate release. Her books made people read, why couldn't they make people listen to the orchestra?

Considering JKR's grip on most story related aspects and on all British cast, I'm a bit surprised she allowed the filmmakers to hire an American composer.

I'm not sure making it a score and concert suite-only album would've made that much difference considering the entire score though - maybe ten minutes of material given to more score? And knowing Williams he'd have done a KotCS and chosen the most incidental and random cues.

For me it's more what those smattering of children's suite pieces does to the flow of the album, and the vast stylistic difference between it and the score.

Wow, quite a few then!

Although some of those strike me as either Williams making a poetic name for a suite of 'bits' or a name that is vaguely correct - I wouldn't call Escape From Venice entirely inaccurate, for example, and other ones like Rescuing Sarah are presenting music from that overall scene - just not all of it.

Whereas Entry into the Great Hall.... is a clear two parter name where it's not like there's a first half that has different music... it's just not there at all, if you see what I mean. I think that makes it a bit different.

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

In 1983, the Return of the Jedi OST track "Rebel Briefing" actually contains the music for the Emperor's death.  The cue for the rebel briefing is not on the album.

Nope, The Emperor is the Emperor death cue. Rebel Briefing is the finale with the film-used Han/Leia/Wicket version and the not used funeral pyre version.

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

In 2005, the War of the Worlds OST track "Confrontation with Ogilvy" combined music from the "bodies in the river" scene (which is before the group has met Ogilvy) and the "Red Planet" scene (which begins after Ogilvy is already dead).  The actual cue for Roy killing Ogilvy isn't on the album.

Also Separation of the Family is actually one of the many versions for the reunion of the family at the end.

40 minutes ago, Holko said:

Nope

Brain fart.  Fixed my post!

40 minutes ago, Holko said:

Separation of the Family is actually one of the many versions for the reunion of the family at the end.

Oooh, good one!

9 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Also on the same album, "Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale". The finale is there, but no confrontation.

Another good one!

Doesn't the opening cover a bit of the tail end of Yoda vs. Dooku?

1 hour ago, Faleel said:

Doesn't the opening cover a bit of the tail end of Yoda vs. Dooku?

Yeah I was gonna say there's a bit that isn't used in the film, the film starts at about the 41 second mark, so I think part of it was dropped from being used at all,

I have always felt that JW track titles are more of a suggestion of what scenes the music might accompany in the film, but just a suggestion.

I've often wondered about what the aborted "I Am The Senate" track might have contained. Was it just going to be sections of the actual cue, or was it going to be combined with another unreleased cue/s?

33 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I've often wondered about what the aborted "I Am The Senate" track might have contained. Was it just going to be sections of the actual cue, or was it going to be combined with another unreleased cue/s?

I Am the Senate + Bail's Escape

or

+ Swimming Droids, Yoda's Farewell

Possibly

Death of Dooku + I am the Senate

52 minutes ago, Faleel said:

I Am the Senate + Bail's Escape

or

+ Swimming Droids, Yoda's Farewell

Possibly

Death of Dooku + I am the Senate

In an alternate universe where Grievous and the Droids is still unreleased. :lol:

16 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

The track title ‘Inner City’ on the 1977 SW OST has always bemused me.

Every time I see that I think of the Key and Peele skit