The Worst Scores You've Ever Heard

John Crichton

Yes, a thread dedicated to those scores that make you want to vomit like Mr. Creoste after a wafer-thin mint.

For me one pops immediately to mind (and this will come as a shock to no one): Pirates of the Carribean, for reasons extensively discussed elsewhere. But I'm sure that those mentioned by others will shake a few repressed memories loose. :mrgreen:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, a thread dedicated to those scores that make you want to vomit like Mr. Creoste after a wafer-thin mint.

He doesn't vomit after eating the mint. :folder:

However, these scores bugged the hell out of me:

Fellowship of the Ring

The 6th Day

The Two Towers

Ladyhawk

Alien3

The Two Towers  

annoying and cloying are adjectives that come to mind to describe this score.

Escape from LA (a dissapointing impulse buy because of Shirley Walker's name)

Mrs. Doubtfire (my first reaction was that it was the worst score ever)

Dogma (boo, very clunky and dull)

Anything by Harry Gregson Williams

Ladyhawk

Aaaarrccggh!! Yes, Ladyhawke. So much spoilt potential!

I know what you mean, but at least Ladyhawk got its own flavor and identity, something I value more and more in these days of uniformness.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Sigh...The Two Towers and The Fellowship Of The Ring mentioned in this thread.... I wonder how many times you guys really ever listened to it.

It's the same with a movie like Terms Of Endearment. My brother is very fond of that one and always reminding me of how much better it is than some of the crap I'm usually watching.

I never really wanted to see it no matter how many times my bro would insist. I was calling it a girlie, dated, sucky film even before I saw it!

So one day I made peace with my brother and agreed to watch it with him. I didn't WANT to like the film though; I wasn't open for it.

BUT when I DID see it all the way through I found myself crying and smiling at the same time as the end credits rolled. Man that film was good!! I loved it from that moment on.

Take that as you will ok?

Anyone; a REALLY bad score was Horner's Troy, although you can't really blame him considering the limited time he had to score it. I blame the people who rejected Yared's score.

Some weird Morricone stuff comes to mind: The Humanoid.

The American version of the original Dawn Of The Dead, which sadly didn't use the Goblin score, but opted for mediocre library stuff. Aweful.

I'll post more when I remember some more bad scores.

I'm not really surprised by the mention of LOTR scores however Alien 3. What the heck? That score is Goldenthal at his finest. Have you heard the final cue?? :folder:

Justin - Who thinks most people who don't like Alien 3 base their opinion on that filmtracks guy.

He doesn't vomit after eating the mint. :folder:

Yes you're right, you got me there. :oops: Meaning of Life is easily my least favorite Python outing and I haven't seen it very much.

The Two Towers  

annoying and cloying are adjectives that come to mind to describe this score.

I go with bland, plodding, and uninspiring myself. But Fellowship is a very good score.

Blade Runner

:folder: Just get the boots, and admire it

Anything by Harry Gregson Williams  

;) (Chicken Run + Sinbad)

Alien3

;) Nobody can match Goldenthal in terms of modern/contemporary classical music input in movies, except perhaps Philip Glass and John Corigliano

Worst score : Nick Glennie-Smith' "We Were Soldiers". 100% Trite.

:baaa:

STAR WARS - What a load of amateur rubbish, that was.

How dare you can said it! Star Wars was most influencing score of all time! It resurrected big symphonic scores at movies!

Get out of here, you poor Media Ventures fan ;) .

Go hear your Pirates of the Caribbian "professional muzak" :folder:

Mystic River. I mean...sure...it's Eastwood composing it...but come on...give me a break. Another that comes to mind is Troy...which actually made me laugh in the theater...especially that hokey cue that's played when we first get to Troy.

I actually have to agree with Fellowship of the Rings and The Two Towers. To me, they just weren't very good at all. I guess I can't say they were the worst...but I felt compelled to back the others up. I've listened to them plenty...and I just can't get anything out of them. I guess my main comparison is that I felt that I could have written an equal, or better score than that. That's how I always compare scores I suppose...if I can do better, and I'm only a student, then it must be pretty bad!

The score for The Two Towers makes me want to shoot myself.

Pirates - Once again, I think the bashing is silly, as we all know it's just Media Ventures being Media Ventures. If you can get past that, I think it's really enjoyable, and you can find my opinions more extensively elsewhere.

King Arthur - Same. "Inspiring." Chords....Two. censored. Hours.

~Sturgis

Pirates - Once again, I think the bashing is silly, as we all know it's just Media Ventures being Media Ventures. If you can get past that, I think it's really enjoyable, and you can find my opinions more extensively elsewhere.

Not here! When I heard the score to PotC in the film (all right, the second or third time - I admit I didn't notice it in the first viewing), I wasn't thinking about Media Ventures, I was just thinking about how much the score sucked.

The score for The Two Towers makes me want to shoot myself.

I enjoy this one a lot, though (not that it can stand up to a Williams score). Funny how things work out, huh?

Robocop 2 by Leonard Rosenman - just hearing a female choir sing 'Robocop' is downright frightning! Closely followed by Con-Air, Mark Mancina & Trevor Rabin both destroyed an already flawed film.

- Tim, amused at Benefactor not picking up on Melange's sarcasm! ROTFLMAO

I can understand some folks not liking Fellowship of the Ring, since it tends to drag a bit. But The Two Towers? I liked it more than Return of the King. TTT is a spectacular score and film.

As for the worst scores I've ever heard, that honour goes to Eric Serra's The Big Blue and Harald Kloser's Alien vs. Predator (I can't image how Alan Silvestri might have improved this flick with a better score).

To easy to say Pirates of the Caribbean, but it's true.  I also hate Logan's Run.

Neil

Mmm the only cues I know of are the 2 tracks on Goldsmith's Frontiers CD, I quite enjoy them - is the full score hard to listen to then?

- Tim.

I rate those 2 cues on the Frontiers c.d. among Goldsmith's all time great IMO.The love theme is majestic(End of the City).On the OST there is a few other cues (like The Sun)in that vein which represents the outside scenes in the film.But the other half of the score is weird synth atonal stuff.

K.M.

Sigh...The Two Towers and The Fellowship Of The Ring mentioned in this thread.... I wonder how many times you guys really ever listened to it.

Every time I watch those movies, unfortunately.

Some people have mentioned King Arthur. Yes! I completely forgot how much I hated the music while watching that film. Bland, intrusive, and completely inappropriate for the scenes it accompanied. It didn't help that there were problems with the surround sound in the theater I saw the film, so the music ended up louder than the dialogue!

Ack, mine have already been said: Goldeneye and Pirates.

Another on the list is Dr No (just how many times did Monty Norman have to use "The James Bond theme" and "Underneath the Mango Tree"?) Barry was the best thing to happen to the films. That's all I can think of for now.

JoeinAr wrote:

Blade Runner  

Just get the boots, and admire it  

it aint going to happen, its electronic noise.

Ladyhawk certainly, it's complete idiocy to score a medival fantasy movie with rock and pop. "own flavor and identity" indeed.

Ladyhawk certainly, it's complete idiocy to score a medival fantasy movie with rock and pop. "own flavor and identity" indeed.

I know what you mean, but I hope you somehow grasped what I meant. And if you didn't, well, then Lucas accurately predicted the future when he made THX 1138.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Howard Shore's Videodrome is completely unlistenable. Unlike Neil, I rather enjoy Goldsmith's Logan's Run, but I can't stand S*P*Y*S.

James Horner's The Forgotten has no redeeming features whatsoever.

Copland if absolutelyand totally awful score ROTFLMAO also there is Terminator 2 soundtrack, Die Hard 3, X-men and Pirates of the Carribean (nauseating).

I know what you mean, but I hope you somehow grasped what I meant. And if you didn't, well, then Lucas accurately predicted the future when he made THX 1138.

I know what you meant, but I think ladyhawk is a terrible example of it.

Gladiator! I completely forgot about that one. Terrible!

I think that's ZImmer's best, it's rather good, maybe it belongs in the guilty pleasures thread for me. ROTFLMAO

Aside from everyone else's top picks, GoldenEye and Pirates of the Caribbean, I thought "A Very Long Engagement" last year had an atrocious score. The movie was decent, a bit too cutesy and quirky when a straight romance would have been more powerful, but everything was undercut by the droning, monotonous, synthesizer-sounding score. I was afraid when I saw Badalamenti's name months before the film came out. He does a certain sound well, and it suits certain films, like Mulholland Drive, which need a spooky, odd, lonely atmosphere, but Engagement needed big, sweeping thematic music, orchestral music, a John Barry sound to represent the tremendous passion and longing of the seperated lovers. Instead, it had a tedious main theme that sounded like it was being played on a home synthesizer. I never felt a thing for the characters because of the score. I can't remember the last time a score was so glaringly inappropriate. (No, wait, I can, Alexander a week later)

The worst score I have heard for a long time is for Shore's Se7en. It is meant to be quiet and threatening, and it becomes so instantly forgettable it is depressing. The only moment of note is when they are going to the thin guy; and then the music is a loud, misguided hodge-podge of orchestral rubbish. Oh dear. To make it even worse, there is a commentry by Howard Shore on the DVD in which he tries to say how deep and meaningful it all is. No, it is just crap.

The worst score I have heard for a long time is for Shore's Se7en. It is meant to be quiet and threatening, and it becomes so instantly forgettable it is depressing. The only moment of note is when they are going to the thin guy; and then the music is a loud, misguided hodge-podge of orchestral rubbish. Oh dear. To make it even worse, there is a commentry by Howard Shore on the DVD in which he tries to say how deep and meaningful it all is. No, it is just crap.

I've seen Se7en several times and I don't remember any music. I always see that as a good sign.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Ladyhawk

Aaaarrccggh!! Yes, Ladyhawke. So much spoilt potential!

I know what you mean, but at least Ladyhawk got its own flavor and identity, something I value more and more in these days of uniformness.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Ladyhawke is the only score I've heard that actively ruined what would have been a terrific movie. The worst score I've ever heard. No matter how crappy, PoTC worked in the movie.

Gladiator and Goldeneye come to mind.

Gladiator! I completely forgot about that one. Terrible!

its a very intrusive score, definitely not subtle.