Michael Giacchino's LOST (2004-2010) - live concert tour in 2024

Jay

It definitely helps to have watched the show. I listened to the scores first and I liked them, but after watching the show (which I love), it all clicks, you start to recognize the themes and motifs for each character and you can appreciate a lot more what Giacchino does with them, and it's truly breathtaking writing. I would say the best album is The Last Episodes one, especially the 2CD which covers the final episode of the show, but the emotional impact that it has doesn't feel as effective as watching the whole thing, hearing the themes develop and then climax in that final episode.

There are so many great themes, but two of my favorite ones are definitely the "Home" theme, and also Juliet's theme. God, now I want to revisit the show again!

I've seen the entire show and sort of liked the music at the time. Enough to buy the season 1 release, some tracks from middle seasons and Varese's two final season CDs.

I've found that Gia's sparse style doesn't quite work for me as much now as a standalone listen, so I condensed everyting down to 40 minutes from across the show, with a particular focus on Ab Aeterno which felt like it provided Gia an unusual canvas for something a bit different.

Most of the rest falls a little too far into melodrama for me - similar to when Horner really gets into his 15 minute orchestral epics. However, special mention goes to Our Lady Of Perpetual Labor with some beautiful cello writing.

13 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I've seen the entire show and sort of liked the music at the time. Enough to buy the season 1 release, some tracks from middle seasons and Varese's two final season CDs.

I've found that Gia's sparse style doesn't quite work for me as much now as a standalone listen, so I condensed everyting down to 40 minutes from across the show, with a particular focus on Ab Aeterno which felt like it provided Gia an unusual canvas for something a bit different.

Most of the rest falls a little too far into melodrama for me - similar to when Horner really gets into his 15 minute orchestral epics. However, special mention goes to Our Lady Of Perpetual Labor with some beautiful cello writing.

Would you have a whittled down playlist? I'd like to dip in to this but it's quite daunting for a non-show viewer. 

Is the live album a good representation of the scores across the series?

The live album is good in terms of music chosen for it, but bad because of leaving in tons of applause and talking to the audience, that's at the beginning of tracks instead of the end (or siloed into their own tracks) 

How did Lost end now again? Were the big questions answered? Were they stuck in purgatory or something? Spoil me like there's no tomorrow, I won't watch it anyway. I lost interest after the first season, I think, and was really annoyed at how they dragged out the second half of the season.

No, there was no purgatory or anything like that.

The main story ended with Jack sacrificing himself to save his friends, and Hurley becoming the new keeper of the island.

The final season also had these "flash sideways", which was sort of like an afterlife where we got to see the characters reunited.  It had no impact on the main story, it was catharsis for the viewer.

I watched it when it aired so I’m not gonna remember all the details, but FYI the show got a lot more “goal oriented” in season 4 when they had an exit plan in S6.

There wasn’t purgatory, and everything that happened happened.  

The island is some sort of hub of electromagnetic energy that travels through space and, at some point, time.  An organization in the 1970s built bunkers and laboratories to experiment with that power and try to harness it.  Simultaneously, it was the site of a centuries-long battle between two ancient (supernatural/spiritual?) entities, Jacob and The Man in Black who May Have Been Given a Name at Some Point).

As for the plane crash survivors, they had interactions both with the remnants of that scientific project and the cults that worship the entities.  A handful of them escaped the island and back to the mainland, only to feel compelled by fate to return.  The island became untethered in time at one point, which served as a mystery but also a device to explain the history of the island.  In the end, the castaways chose their sides in the ancient battle and put a stop, at least for now, to the bad entity’s plans.  Spiritually, the characters found themselves forever bound by this experience, and went on to live lives and, eventually and in their own time, die - at which point they were reunited in the afterlife (this was the “solution” to a mysterious framing device in the last season).

Some of this is probably wrong or incomplete, as it’s been like 10 years.

The island wasn’t ordinary, as it was the site of some sort of electromagnetic power (which, I guess, throughout history had caused many groups to be marooned on it and become native).

The polar bears were remnants of the scientific group that performed experiments there.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

No, they were plane wrecked on a special island as Mike laid out.

Just now, mstrox said:

The island wasn’t ordinary, as it was the site of some sort of electromagnetic power (which, I guess, throughout history had caused many groups to be marooned on it and become native).

Ops, didn't see your posted before I posted my follow-up. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The polar bears were remnants of the scientific group that performed experiments there.

Of course... I can imagine them publishing a scientific paper on The Effects of Tropical Climate on Polar Bears.

The polar bears were part of the Dharma Initiative's experiments that included teleportation when certain events happened on the island like when the polar bear skeleton was found in Tunisia desert, it showed the island was moving and sometimes local events on the island resulted in teleportation outside the island.  Parts of the island were in ice (that wheel that Ben turned) indicating the island had also once been in polar regions.  

The music score for the show was fantastic for it's time because it was probably the only primetime show using full orchestras each episode.  Another noteworthy example was Bear McCreary's BSG but that was barely using orchestras (just the big budget episodes would get more than an ensemble) but virtually all other tv scores were synth at that time.  Lost was also very thematic so not just acoustic instruments but a thematic score each week with some very big moments on the season finale and premiere episodes.  Something like this was very, very rare:

I watched the show before listening to the score which does help but I feel that if you start by listening to season 1’s album and you go from there by the time you get to the last episodes album it’s a very rewarding experience. You won’t know what the themes mean but you’ll still get the development of them.

And yeah Lost became much more about the incredible characters for me than the mysteries. I got so emotionally attached to every one of them that I sorta didn’t care about the plot holes. Season 6 has a lot of them but the characters are so great that I didn’t mind. The finale of season 3 is probably the best finale in the show and one of the best in television and in my opinion it’s solely due to the characters.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

The live album is good in terms of music chosen for it, but bad because of leaving in tons of applause and talking to the audience, that's at the beginning of tracks instead of the end (or siloed into their own tracks) 

So I suppose I could try to recreate the playlist using the OST tracks?

Not really. Some the opening track in the concert version is the full film-version of "The Eyeland" & "Worlds Worst Beach Party". And other tracks are Suites created for the concert featuring new instrumentation. And Trombones that enter too late... really.. listen to this

https://youtu.be/dM-ua3hc3_o?list=OLAK5uy_k7rLFFgmyXgqAmHbQmLS3pTrni-sV09hs&t=33

here the ost version

https://youtu.be/2nFlfSB8f9U?list=PLasmDVU5A-b5dIYRLcjjgtdFnb6VS7vtg&t=16

Here's a (not complete because I'm not sure on some cues) breakdown of the Live Concert

HAPPY LANDINGS

-The Eyeland (S1)

-Worlds Worst Beach Party (S1)

LOST MAIN THEME

-Credit Where Credit Is Due (S1)

LIVE TOGETHER, DIE ALONE

-Kates Motel (S1)

-A Touching Moment (S3)

SMOKE MONSTERS

-Me And My Big Mouth (S1)

-Run Like, Um... Hell? (S1)

-Run Away! Run Away! (S1)

LOCKE'D OUT AGAIN

-Locke'd Out Again (1)

-Crocodile Locke (S1)

TAKE A HIKE

-Hollywood And Vines (S1)

-Juliette Is Lost (S3)

-Nadia On Your Life (S4) (from 0:53)

HURLEY'S HANDOUTS

-Hurley's Handouts (S2)

THE CONSTANT

-The Constant (S4)

GETTING ETHAN

-Getting Ethan (S1)

LIFE AND DEATH

-Ocianic 815 (S1) (0:00-4:50)

-Life And Death (S1)

PARTING WORDS

-Parting Words

THE OTHERS

-(unreleasded or) Bon Voyage, Traitor (S2) or In With A Kaboom (S3)

-Dharmacide (S3)

-Bodies And Bungalows

AB AETERNO

-None The Richard (S6)

-Love In A Time Of Pneumonia (S6)

OCEANIC SIX

-Landing Party (S4)

TEMPLE OF BOOM

-The Rockets' Red Glare (S6)

-Sundown (S6)

-A Sunken Feeling (S6)

LAX

-LAX (S6)

THE TANGLED WEB

-The Tangled Web (S5)

-lots of cool stuff i would like to know where it comes from, most likely S4,5or6

-Catch A Falling Star (S6) (only the last 12 secs)

MOVING ON

-Jumping Jack's Flash (S6)

-Moving On (S6)

On 31/8/2023 at 9:41 AM, karelm said:

The polar bears were part of the Dharma Initiative's experiments that included teleportation when certain events happened on the island like when the polar bear skeleton was found in Tunisia desert, it showed the island was moving and sometimes local events on the island resulted in teleportation outside the island.  Parts of the island were in ice (that wheel that Ben turned) indicating the island had also once been in polar regions. 

The Dharma Initiative used the polar bears to turn the Dharma wheel, which was encased in ice underground. Moving the island caused the person/animal moving it to be transported to an exit hole in the Tunisian desert. The island was constantly moving through space and time, but I don’t think it ever wasn’t just a tropical island. 

• 1 month later...

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Lost - in Concert

Hawaii Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Michael Giacchino

Saturday, April 27th, 2024

https://www.myhso.org/concerts/2024-lost-in-concert

Tickets go on sale to the public on October 4th, 2023

"We have to go back"

Hawai'i Symphony Orchestra presents an evening with Michael Giacchino conducting his music from the made-in-Hawai'i television show LOST.

Celebrating the 20th anniversary of the iconic TV series LOST – consistently ranked as one of the top television series of all time and described by Alex Ross of The New Yorker as “a phenomenon” with Giacchino’s contribution being “crucial to the show’s cult success” – Giacchino conducts an evening of music and storytelling, featuring the Emmy® Award-winning score, video clips on big screen and special guests. Presented in association with Little Jacket Industries and ABC Studios.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe the complete recordings? It would be cool but maybe it's too much music for a single release?

Doing some math, let's assume an average of 20 minutes of music per episode of 42 minutes. Multiply that by 25 (the number of episodes in season 1) and you get 500 minutes (or 8 hours 20 minutes) of music. If we assume each disc in a possible box set can only have up to 75 minutes of music, then the complete box would need at least 7 discs. And that's not even counting alternates.

Seasons 1, 2 and 3, which had over 20 episodes, would need 6 or 7 discs per season. 4, 5 and 6, which had less episodes, maybe would need a little less.

14 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

(I reckon 20 minutes per episode is very low btw)

According to this session for Lost on ScoringSessions.com, they recorded "21 minutes of score for the episode, split up over 16 cues" for the episode that aired on May 4, 2005 (which turned out to be S01E21 titled "The Greater Good"), so I imagine this is a decent average for episode... Still, some longer/more important episodes, like season finales and such, certainly had more music than that but the average "regular" episode probably didn't had more than 25 minutes of score.

Is the current LOST tour a different program than the previously released concert album?  Only other thing I can think of is a “More Music from…” release, or a box (like their Scream box) that includes all the albums in expanded form.

Ive always been pretty satisfied with what was released from LOST, but maybe a “best of the rest” release would pique my interest.

Would Varese make a video teaser if they are just releasing a CD edition of something already on streaming and vinyl?

https://music.apple.com/us/album/we-have-to-go-back-the-lost-concert-live-from/1486670640

https://mondoshop.com/products/lost-we-have-to-go-back-live-3xlp

Lord knows there is plenty of music that they did release that was edited post sessions anyway.

4 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I wonder who'd have the time and patience to listen to 40-50 hours of Giacchino Lost music :lol:

Not me.

Certainly not me.

Nope. 

Not

at

all.

Do you think they bought it?

If it is indeed the complete scores (a first for modern TV shows, I guess?), then they should release one box per season every year.

Seasons 1, 2 and 3: 7 CDs

Seasons 4 and 5: 5 or 6 CDs

Season 6: 6 to 7 CDs

Or just release everything in the streaming services, which don't have a limit of how much music per album :P

If it really is an expansion, then bring it on ASAP! Giacchino's work on LOST is some of my favorite music ever, so an expansion would be a dream come true!

I guess some other TV shows have done it before, like Bear McCreary releasing his Rings of Power scores in full for each episode, and I think the scores for Batman The Animated Series are mostly complete, at least for the episodes they decided to include, and we also have the Twin Peak Archive. But I think it should be done more often with successful and high-profile shows like this one!

I guess we'll have to wait till tomorrow to see what it really is, but I'm looking forward to it!

Yeah, if it's really just the vinyl version of what's already released, they didn't have to do an announcement like that, but what do I know. I guess it's our fault for setting our expectations so high!

It's also the only way to get any of the original LOST scores on physical media right now since all the CD albums are OOP

Man, that feels like a letdown and I wasn't even hyped to start with!

Doing a box set of complete scores would be too out of the blue IMO - zero hype for the show, Gia's moved on. If they did a Rogue One and put them on streaming, perhaps, but a physical item? Nah.

I've got the Final Season and Last Episodes CDs and probably have one track from each in my playlist. Got a bit hyped at (for its time) lavish releases back then.