Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

These all sound good. An old protagonist wanting a peaceful life, and then dying, is a proven formula.

8 minutes ago, Presto said:

Of a heart attack. From running. to the bathroom.

While yelling "I didn't do it!"

On 09/12/2023 at 1:46 AM, HunterTech said:

That implies either lead character actually learned anything in DoD

Helena learns from Indy to care again about history and the artifacts. 

Saw some comments on the final punch, it got a lot of laughs in the theater I was in, I think I was the youngest one there.

5 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Helena learns from Indy to care again about history and the artifacts.

Yes, and she also learned to care a little about human suffering, when she made a sad face after Indy told her of his son's death, and also after he reminded her that his friend, Renaldo, had just been killed.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Yes, and she also learned to care a little about human suffering

If she thinks being in that movie is human suffering, she should try watching it.

4 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

If she thinks being in that movie is human suffering, she should try watching it.

It was like having your heart ripped out, and being left alive to talk about it.

image.gif

3 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

It was like having your heart ripped out, and being left alive to talk about it.

image.gif

You'd like that, wouldn't you? Get your face on the cover of National Geographic.

5 hours ago, Brónach said:

now disney also owns you

I wonder when they're going to rein me in for all the disparaging comments I've made about them lately...

I read a tweet from a French critic describing Mangold as a predominantly mainstream 'heterosexual' director who crafts somewhat 'basic' films targeting a rather homogeneous audience. Undoubtedly, there exists an audience appreciative of this type of movie. Occasionally, one simply craves a grand, uncomplicated action film replete with action sequences, violence, and recurring instances of killing. Mangold has consistently stated his intention to deconstruct the character of Indiana Jones, and in my view, he has indeed achieved this goal.

Personally, I've always been somewhat drawn to directors with a strong artistic sensibility, those who can infuse their films with elements of dream, magic, and mystery. Mangold does not fall into that category. I'm concerned that if he directs a Star Wars movie, it will also be a 'deconstruction'.

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Personally, I've always been somewhat drawn to directors with a strong artistic sensibility, those who can infuse their films with elements of dream, magic, and mystery.

Just like Mangold did.

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Indeed, but that's not really that much of an accomplishment. It's like saying "Well, at the very least the movie is better than The Last Airbender".

Exactly. Plus Ford was already too old to play Indy in KotCS at 66. 
An 80-year-old Indiana Jones is simply not what the character is about. Heck, he was almost too old in TLC. 
This type of an action-adventure films need to have a young guy in the lead. Ford was 38-39 when he made Raiders and 41-42 when he made Temple. That was the ideal age for Indy’s character, and Ford was at the peak of his physical shape and his acting abilities. He still was at 46-47 when making Last Crusade, but his face already started to look more mature, a little bit older. 
But Indiana Jones as a bitter 80-year-old man getting knocked out by his own goddaughter less than half his age is something I never want to see. And I guess most of the audience didn’t, either, since it became one of the biggest flops in Disney and film history. 

Maybe it is also Ford's fault. His word seems to have a lot of weight in the making of these movies. And he probably takes everything and his character so seriously recently. And he didn't want to play some kind of comic relief. 

And to be honest, wandering through that plot, where all people around him, who he knows, get murdered, except his god daughter, which betrayes him permanently, I would be miserable, too.

After all one can state, this is the darkest Indy movie ever. I like this one least.

But still the score is great.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

There's a reason this shot was featured so prominently in the previews. It's one of the only convincing ones. And it helps a lot that he doesn't talk.

I agree that his aged voice was a giveaway, but I was talking about the CGI deaging, which I found convincing. 

don't appreciate the current trend of turning them into sad, pathetic versions of their former selves.

I think the old, disillusioned angle can give lots of fun moments, like in this film. Besides, I've always seen Indy as a bit of a grumpster, so it makes sense that this trait has become stronger with age.

Heroes can age too

Indeed. I'm still around. 😎

2 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

People turned out once for curiosity, but how many, aside from the diehards, went back multiple times?

I have ended up seeing this film four times (not necessarily by choice), and I am satisfied that it’s absolutely fine. Harrison Ford is great and has plenty to do, PWB is no more annoying than Kate Capshaw in ToD and the de-aging is great in some cases (the inside of the train mainly) but is pretty jarring in others. Mads Mikkelsen, of course, is super as Classic Mads Mikkelsen Villain.

The only real problem I had was the end of the Syracuse battle was clearly either shot on the two different days, in front of a green screen or completely reshot, because Harrison Ford and PWB are either not outside or not together for a lot of that scene (when they’re talking to __________) and it’s obvious.

20 minutes ago, Alex said:

I have ended up seeing this film four times (not necessarily by choice), and I am satisfied that it’s absolutely fine. Harrison Ford is great and has plenty to do, PWB is no more annoying than Kate Capshaw in ToD and the de-aging is great in some cases (the inside of the train mainly) but is pretty jarring in others. Mads Mikkelsen, of course, is super as Classic Mads Mikkelsen Villain.

The only real problem I had was the end of the Syracuse battle was clearly either shot on the two different days, in front of a green screen or completely reshot, because Harrison Ford and PWB are either not outside or not together for a lot of that scene (when they’re talking to __________) and it’s obvious.

Of course they had to use a green screen as Arkimedes lived 2000 years ago.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What I meant is that there were actual set photos of PWB and Harrison Ford on that hill, but there were shots in that scene where they didn’t even look like they were outside, or even next to each other.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

The difference is that one movie treats her as annoying and the other doesn't seem to realize that she is annoying.  

Is she really that annoying though? I mean, really? She’s certainly not the most complex or interesting character, sure, but I didn’t find myself irritated by her. Maybe it’s because I was a fan of PWB before, I don’t know. Fleabag is great.

On 19/12/2023 at 9:55 PM, Mr. Hooper said:

People turned out once for curiosity

Apparently not many of them did once, either. 

4 hours ago, Tom said:

The difference is that one movie treats her as annoying and the other doesn't seem to realize that she is annoying.  

Perhaps annoying is not the best word.  Whatever the word is for someone who laughs when an innocent person, who is also friends with the person standing next to her, is killed--she is that.  

52 minutes ago, Tom said:

Perhaps annoying is not the best word.  Whatever the word is for someone who laughs when an innocent person, who is also friends with the person standing next to her, is killed--she is that.  

Tone-deaf, flippant?

Superficial?

Shallow?

Flighty?

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Don't be an idiot. They didn't have green screens 2000 years ago. Everyone knows that.

14 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Punching Indy and dragging him back to the future, thus robbing him of his own agency, didn't help. No one will ever convince me that ending didn't undergo significant revisions.

Now this I do agree with to some extent. I definitely think he stays in early cuts of the film.

You guys think Indy was going to stay in the past, but they were able to bring Marion's actress back last minute. So Indy had to come back to the present for them to share a scene together? Remember JW said he had to score "a new ending"

1 hour ago, greenturnedblue said:

You guys think Indy was going to stay in the past, but they were able to bring Marion's actress back last minute. So Indy had to come back to the present for them to share a scene together? Remember JW said he had to score "a new ending"

They had to bring her back to shoot a slightly less terrible ending.

They didn't do massive reshoots because they weren't able to get Karen Allen 🤣

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It was never the plan to let Indy stay in the past. That would mean he ran away from his problems, unacceptably tainting his character. 

Well, he was going to do that anyways..

It's like a damned if you do damned if you don't. Stay in the past, and he is running away from his problems. Helena knocks him out and brings him back, and he is robbed of his agency and free will