Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

because people with decision power AND often the audience don't care about visual art

(and in the case of movie posters because they want the audience to relate the style of a poster to other similar posters for similar movies, even if they're crap in both cases. this makes selling something like Indy 5 in a poster really hard because Indy is shall we say vintage)

People are expecting it to open with around $65 million domestic (close to Fast X's opening) and $140 millions global.

Facing the worst reviews ever for an Indiana Jones movie, the Lucasfilm franchise finale Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny is hoping to gain traction with audiences and best its $60 million-$65 million domestic start and $140M global opening.

https://deadline.com/2023/06/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-box-office-projection-2-1235425453/

It'd be a decent number... had the movie not been so expensive.

52 minutes ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Whatever did this film need to be so expensive for in the first place?

Raiders was famously made on quite a tight budget.

And that worked wonders.

They needed to pay the CGI artists!

15 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

They needed to pay the CGI artists!

I assumed the de-aging is a large part of it.

Other than that, why would an Indy movie need so much CGI?

11 minutes ago, Pieter Boelen said:

I assumed the de-aging is a large part of it.

Other than that, why would an Indy movie need so much CGI?

Because it's a movie of its era, and all such movies now have CGI. (which I hate by the way! I prefer old school practical effects)

9 hours ago, Bellosh said:

A lot of reviews have said this is the best de-aging of all time, given the amount of it.  So yeah I guess that would be a reason why

i doubt it's this.

9 hours ago, Pieter Boelen said:

why would an Indy movie need so much CGI?

KotCS called...

10 hours ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Whatever did this film need to be so expensive for in the first place?

They needed to pay Ford. 

It pains me to say it. I love the first 3 and like some parts of KOTCS, but this was a terrible movie. It will win all the razzies next year, nothing really works about it. The 3rd act is awful

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

I expect the film to be much better than the early haters and bad reviews have been saying

I just came back from seeing it and I'm very happy we got another good adventure.

I like it!

The friend I watched it with not though.

I guess it depends on what you want out of it...

9 hours ago, Antonb said:

It pains me to say it. I love the first 3 and like some parts of KOTCS, but this was a terrible movie. It will win all the razzies next year, nothing really works about it. The 3rd act is awful

Here in Greece, the review by a critic who I trust and loves the first film, gave it 1,5 out of 5 stars.

Again he says how terrible it is...

I was expecting it, no surprises here.

9 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

So what did he want out of it? And what did you want out of it?

He went in completely unspoiled.

I had been keeping up with all the developments, except reading the Cannes synopsis spoilers and reviews.

I am a BIG BIG Indiana Jones fan and he not so much.

He's more loyal to Star Wars.

And he tends to be more critical in general.

Me, I'm just a sucker for fun adventure stuff.

I even like the 1985 King Solomon's Mines.

8 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Here in Greece, the review by a critic who I trust and loves the first film, gave it 1,5 out of 5 stars.

Again he says how terrible it is...

I was expecting it, no surprises here.

THAT low? What movie did he watch??

Make up your own mind is my recommendation.

I honestly did not notice anything offensively horrible.

Unlike Crystal Skull, which really has low lows.

As long as there's decent action/stunts, whip-crackin', creepy tombs/caverns with booby traps/puzzles, humour, Nazis getting punched (and the odd horrible death), that ol' Indy roguish charm, copious use of the theme, Phoebe Waller-Bridge not ending up dominating proceedings and it doesn't feel half-an-hour too long ... I'll be happy.      

15 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

whip-crackin',

well

copious use of the theme

weeeelll

Phoebe Waller-Bridge not ending up dominating proceedings

weeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllll

16 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

and it doesn't feel half-an-hour too long

weeeeeeeelllllllll

I only remember one scene with the whip and we had seen it before.

I could've done with one more...

The March appears more in the film than on the album.

Still a bit low on it, but it's not too bad.

The attention between PWB and Ford seemed to be pretty evenly balanced.

People were worried about it before, but I didn't spot a problem.

The movie is the longest in the series and still I didn't want it to end.

I'm happy it's not shorter.

Hoping for some cool deleted scenes on the Blu-Ray release.

I sat at home trying to find things i like about it!  It was hard work to come up with anything. Even though Im a big fan of the originals.  I just wanted a good movie. not a great one, but Im afraid its really poor.

39 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The audience rating is very positive on Rotten Tomatoes (89%), but the early Thursday box office numbers are very poor ($6-7.5m).

Honestly I wouldn't expect a whole lot of people to go before the weekend. It'll probably go up significantly starting tomorrow.

I'm shocked I showed up at the theater on opening night expecting it to be sold out for days  and got an Imax seat at the best spot in the theater. And there was only about 20 people in the cinema.

It's almost like the hype is inexistent for this movie.

I liked the film, it's better than Crystal Skull for sure and Harrison Ford is still Indiana Jones. Helena's a good sidekick and the story was alright. Too much CGI though .I have to see it again because as with all JW scored movies I get distracted in my first viewing trying to spot the unreleased music .The mix is pretty bad and lots of the music is buried under sound effects

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

I was until the Cannes reactions

IJ4 was a huge hit 

IJ4 was 15 years ago when Spielberg was still a big name. James Bond is far more popular than Indiana Jones now and NOTD only opened to $55 million with a similar type of audience. 

NOTD's box office came to just over 774 million, a hundred million or so less than SPECTRE (which itself took around 200 million less than Skyfall). It's reckoned MGM lost money on NOTD. 

Its BO take can partially be blamed on Covid, but I reckon it's also down to it straying too far from what audiences expect from Bond.   

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

NOTD's box office came to just over 774 million, a hundred million or so less than SPECTRE (which itself took around 200 million less than Skyfall). It's reckoned MGM lost money on NOTD. 

Its BO take can partially be blamed on Covid, but I reckon it's also down to it straying too far from what audiences expect from Bond.   

You mean, like, victorious and not dying?

Well what a shock.

I enjoyed it, but it's complicated.

My review is in the Spoliler Thread.  Link below.

Spoiler

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

The audience rating is very positive on Rotten Tomatoes (89%), but the early Thursday box office numbers are very poor ($6-7.5m).

According to Deadline, that's pretty much on par with previous action movies starring "older heroes from the past", like No Time to Die and Fallout.

Performing on the same level of these movies would actually be decent for Indy... Had it not been so expensive.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/indiana-jones-dial-destiny-cameo-marian-b2367582.html

I just read this article where it states that Marion had a bigger part in the movie before Spielberg left and Mangold took over directing duties. I haven't followed the production of this movie but do we know other details of changes after Spielberg left?

I really wish that Salla and Marion had been in the movie more. Marion was great in KOTKS so it felt natural that she'd be in this one properly. I wonder what Spielberg's movie would have been like.