Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

3 hours ago, Andy said:

oh, and Indiana Jones!

Speaking of which, Andy, how blank are you going into DoD? And have you not gone to the movie theaters in the past few months to avoid the trailer being shown there?

4 hours ago, Andy said:

By that logic why can’t Palpatine’s survival simply be assumed as well?

To be fair, the second Death Star blew up. Naboo did not.

Star Wars has once again infiltrated the Indy thread I see

Pulling the “facts not feelings card” is pretty hypocritical when you don’t present any facts as to why KK is overall good at her job or how she contributed to the success of those projects

If anything you’re just doing what you’re dismissing but in the other direction, making assumptions based on what feels or sounds right and treating them like fact

Personally I’m not too concerned with what she’s done so much as I am the responsibilities of her role and the buck stopping with her. From the recent Tony Gilroy interview, he was talking about how KK pretty much empowered him to have free reign and it paid off handsomely.

That’s more the kind of approach I want to see, because projects seem to fall apart when there isn’t that agency given and the creator either leaves or is forced out due to the tight constraints.

For those who then say ‘but how do we stop them from fucking it all up’, the answer is to choose the right people in the first place which is also the responsibility of the Lucasfilm President

7 hours ago, Brando said:

Speaking of which, Andy, how blank are you going into DoD? And have you not gone to the movie theaters in the past few months to avoid the trailer being shown there?

I have not seen more than a second of footage in motion.  I heard the trailer in theater but shut my eyes.  What I do know I’ve spoiler tagged. But it’s pretty mild.   Well,  VERY mild. 

Spoiler

I know we see about 20 minutes of de aged Jones in a flashback. 

I know Helena Shaw is his goddaughter. 

I know there’s a chase on little buggies for which I don’t know their proper name. 

I know there’s a parade with Indy on Horseback. 

I’ve seen toys. 

I’ve seen a pic of Jones in German uniform. 

I’ve seen Jones is still wearing his wedding ring. 

But that’s about it. I’m pretty blank. 

13 hours ago, Bellosh said:

That is true!

But now people adore those movies.

They do?  The only one I ever hear anything somewhat positive about is ROTS. 

11 hours ago, King Mark said:

Again with TROS, the movie's script is the problem not Papatine's return

The part in the script where Palpatine returns is the problem. 

yeah and the prequel memes of the past few years has helped as well.

it's almost as if the campiness, and poor dialogue/rough around the edges acting & overall execution of the prequels helps them in that way. 

the disney trilogy's arc might be conceptually bad, but everything on screen is acted very well with little to no campiness.  it takes itself too seriously.  I don't think those bodes well to have a repeat of the prequel meme phenomena.

I haven't been on this thread in weeks. I see we're arguing about Star Wars again.

I'm not sure how I'm going to play this as far as Dial of Destiny is concerned. I've convinced myself to not see it opening weekend. If that means I'm spoiled about the stunning return of Willie Scott, so be it. I'm just not sure how I'll be convinced to trust going to see it though. (I can't imagine I won't at least watch it on streaming eventually.) Even if it IS good (it's not going to be Raiders good, deal with it) there's still going to be a tremendous amount of whining from various corners.

Honestly if it's as good as The Force Awakens I think I'd be in a good spot.

It probably will only take a few people saying they loved it. I don't remember ANYONE saying anything good about Crystal Skull.

21 hours ago, Bellosh said:

yeah and the prequel memes of the past few years has helped as well.

it's almost as if the campiness, and poor dialogue/rough around the edges acting & overall execution of the prequels helps them in that way. 

the disney trilogy's arc might be conceptually bad, but everything on screen is acted very well with little to no campiness.  it takes itself too seriously.  I don't think those bodes well to have a repeat of the prequel meme phenomena.

and when they didn't in Last Jedi, people somehow found a way to complain

22 hours ago, mstrox said:

A big part of the generation of people who were kids when the prequels came out really like them

not me, i'm normal

Just came from the film.

I have mixed feelings. Stylistically, it's similar to how Mangold approached LOGAN, and then the question remains if that is suitable for Indy. There's very little Spielberg here, very little of his playfulness in tone and style. I'm going to write a review of the film soon, and I think that's one of the issues I have to confront. That is, how does it fit in with the existing Indys, and how 'open' should we be to a very different approach. Several of the new STAR WARS shows have shown that it's possible to twist the formula a little bit, but is Indy a different beast? Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of adventure in the film, all of it solved well, but I have some qualms regarding the colour scheme, lighting and general look of it all. And some issues regarding the absence of visual gags and other trademark Indy elements.

Ponder, ponder....

49 minutes ago, Thor said:

Just came from the film.

I have mixed feelings. Stylistically, it's similar to how Mangold approached LOGAN, and then the question remains if that is suitable for Indy. There's very little Spielberg here, very little of his playfulness in tone and style. I'm going to write a review of the film soon, and I think that's one of the issues I have to confront. That is, how does it fit in with the existing Indys, and how 'open' should we be to a very different approach. Several of the new STAR WARS shows have shown that it's possible to twist the formula a little bit, but is Indy a different beast? Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of adventure in the film, all of it solved well, but I have some qualms regarding the colour scheme, lighting and general look of it all. And some issues regarding the absence of visual gags and other trademark Indy elements.

Ponder, ponder....

How would you rank it among the other Indiana Jones films?

4th, above Crystal skull?

Oooh, tricky. As I said, I actually liked CRYSTAL SKULL (except for that jungle car chase). So I might actually rank DIAL after, hence 5th like the film itself. But that doesn't mean it's a bad film. It's good for what it is. It's just so different. I would say they're very even, but for very different reasons. Some good things in one that the other doesn't have, and vice versa.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

good for what it is. It's just so different. I would say they're very even, but for very different reasons. Some good things in one that the other doesn't have, and vice versa.

11 hours ago, Dr. Rick said:

Of all the reviewers I watch on YT this guy IMO is one of the better ones.  It's spoiler-free and he dishes out high praise for JW!  :)

Used to watch his reviews more than 10 years ago and sometimes recently. He’s good! Really brings back memories from his rants about twilight and other crap movies back in the day haha

7 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Used to watch his reviews more than 10 years ago and sometimes recently. He’s good! Really brings back memories from his rants about twilight and other crap movies back in the day haha

His opening look on his face says a lot 😂 

On 21/06/2023 at 7:47 PM, Signals said:

Music kinda reminded me of Minority Report for a bit there.

"Indiana, do you know what I hear? Nothing. No sirens outside the window, no clickitty-click of little spyders on the stairs, and do you why? Because, right now, the audience is walking out".

(gunshot)

FADE TO BLACK 

THE END

Is it official or fan-made? If it’s official, it seems a little odd to release a new official poster so close to the release date, doesn’t it?

3 hours ago, Bayesian said:

Is it official or fan-made? If it’s official, it seems a little odd to release a new official poster so close to the release date, doesn’t it?

This was in an Indiana Jones FB group and it popped up in my feed today. At first I thought it was just a fan but I guess he was asked to do a teaser-esque poster.

IMG-8850.jpg

IMG-8849.PNG

I like the use of the font from the Raiders posters

IMG_9200.jpeg

But doggone it, doesn’t DoD deserve its own unique tagline?