The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

It’s really not resolved though as

Spoiler

there are still skrulls everywhere and there is now chaos on a global stage with vigilantes killing both humans amd skrulls out of sheer paranoia. That montage of violence at the end of the last episode is what the whole series should have been, just with superheroes.

7 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

It’s really not resolved though as

Hide contents

there are still skrulls everywhere and there is now chaos on a global stage with vigilantes killing both humans amd skrulls out of sheer paranoia. That montage of violence at the end of the last episode is what the whole series should have been, just with superheroes.

would that really be a *secret* invasion? or just a normal invasion...

9 minutes ago, Signals said:

would that really be a *secret* invasion? or just a normal invasion...

Well that's a good point, but it has to stop being a secret at some point during the story if they're going to try to adapt the comics at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The MCU has long overstayed its welcome, IMO. I don’t know what Disney will do to replace it, but if their new Marvels movie flops (and I read somewhere that it’s expected to), that’ll be like the Mouse House’s 14th consecutive money-losing film. Coupled with DCU’s half-dozen movie money-losers, maybe we’ve finally gotten to the point where the studios will be willing to try something different, at long last. They’re definitely gonna have to do something different before they go insolvent.

On a related note, it’s hard to shake the feeling that a seismic shift in the world of movie production is underway. The studios no longer make the money they used to from theatrical exhibition and have to generate copious amounts of “content” for streaming platforms with their smaller bankrolls. I worry for the SAG and WGA, because the studios really seem determined not to allow writing and acting to remain major cost centers. These strikes really feel like the last possible chance to allow writing and acting to continue to be viable careers.

53 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

Every film looks the same. The acting is just there. Even the scores, no matter how orchestral, feels generic. Nothing is taken seriously. Everything is humor and fake drama. I heard from interviews that The Marvels is a 90 minutes long funny film. Great, put it on Disney+. 

Funny thing is, since its early days people have been saying how most MCU movies look and sound like straight to TV stuff. When the first Avengers were playing in cinemas, back in 2012, people were already complaining that it seemed like something for TV.

I think that after Endgame, there was a nice clean break to the story - and audiences probably would have followed even after that, except the sheer volume increased - which led some to opt out.  Gone are the days of 1-2 movies a year, and even when it’s fun, it can start to feel like work.

If anything, the massive amount of stuff, variable quality, increased weirdness quotient, stupid crossovers, everything leading to the next event - make it feel like the comics the movies are based on to me in a way that the MCU didn’t in the last decade.

I wouldn’t necessarily call it burnout, but my priorities have been elsewhere lately.  Back in the days of WandaVision and Falcon/WS, the shows were night-of appointment viewing for us, a rarity in the streaming era - put the kid to bed, pop some popcorn and enjoy.  Now I’m one MCU movie and one series behind, with no immediate goal of watching either until maybe after the holidays.  My spouse opted out completely midway through Loki.

Same with Star Wars - I’m like 3 TV series behind if you count Visions.  My priorities are way elsewhere.  If they released Andor Season 2 tomorrow though, I’d be in.

Another issue for me, the two great animated Spiderman movies, A New Universe and Across the Spiderverse showed for me everything what could be interesting about this Multiverse topic in a very brillant and smart way.

MCUs contributions to that topic are comparably lame. 

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I look forward to 20 years' time, when audiences, critics, and social commentators look back at the MCU, the DCEU, and what The Mouse has done to Star Wars and Indiana Jones, and think "What the fucking hell was that all about??!!!".

Don't forget, they are also going to mouse up the Alien franchise.

"Mouse up":

(verb) to take something perfectly good, and ruin it.

e.g: "Star Wars was ok until you moused it up".

We've found an expression that rivals "jumped the shark", and "nuked the fridge"

:lol:

Well done, Alex.

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's The Ludovico Technique, in action.

Maybe people have just had enough of endless mass destruction, casual violence, empty and meaningless spectacle, two-dimensional characters, and being force-fed the same dross for 15 years. They desperately want something else. They want Fillet Mignon, but they've had so many Big Macs shoved down their throats, they wouldn't know what a Fillet Mignon is, let alone how it tastes.

I look forward to 20 years' time, when audiences, critics, and social commentators look back at the MCU, the DCEU, and what The Mouse has done to Star Wars and Indiana Jones, and think "What the fucking hell was that all about??!!!".

A feminist take on Barbie and a 3-hour biopic of the 'father' of the atomic bomb being the year's 2 biggest box-office hits so far would certainly suggest that audiences have had enough of 'superhero saturation'. 

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Prey was the best Predator film since the original.

I didn't know that, but okay, if you say so.

Oh, right, Predator, for a moment I thought we were talking about Alien, but yeah, Disney also has the rights to the Predator franchise. 

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

A feminist take on Barbie and a 3-hour biopic of the 'father' of the atomic bomb being the year's 2 biggest box-office hits so far would certainly suggest that audiences have had enough of 'superhero saturation'. 

I feel like 2021 was the last time (and also the first after the pandemic began) where a MCU blockbuster would be the biggest movie of the year, or at least among the biggest who grossed more than a billion. 

Since then, 2022 was dominated by Top Gun: Maverick and Avatar 2, and 2023 is the year of Barbie, Mario and Oppenheimer, who outgrossed every superhero movie from this year globally. Spiderman No Way Home was the last time a MCU movie grossed over a billion dollars, and I don't think this will happen again until the next Avengers movie - and that's only if the next batch of MCU stuff in theaters and streaming doesn't destroy any goodwill left from fans.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Spiderman No Way Home was the last time a MCU movie grossed over a billion dollars, and I don't think this will happen again until the next Avengers movie - and that's only if the next batch of MCU stuff in theaters and streaming doesn't destroy any goodwill left from fans.

I'm kinda expecting Deadpool 3 to gross 1 billion. With Wolverine and everyone coming back

5 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Interesting how Maverick was huge, but Dead Reckoning Part One (the latest in a reliably successful franchise) wasn't. 

I was going to blame the composer and his hot mess of a score for that one, but I guess edmilson’s explanation makes more sense.

20 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

People try to blame the tv shows or a general superhero fatigue for the low numbers of the lates marvel movies, so they don't need to consider that the new movies are just bad.

Somehow it seems, every franchise hase some period of invention where more or less by accident they seem to discover more and more a formula out of their stories. Then, when they think, they have found the formula the eara of reproduction starts, the application of the found formula. And how do you do that? Just application of the formula no longer needs to be done by the creative mastermind, simple application you can handover to the intern or the newbie or you keep the mastermind, but that has more or less already said everything on the topic that it had to say and now meanders around it and becomes terribily uncreative because they are not good at reproduction as well. Some kind of late Roman decadence.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Stupidest thing they could ever done. Since Scott Derrickson had no idea the IMAX version would go to Disney+, I'm not sure they even talked about it with Giacchino... because it just makes absolutely no sense to convert something that was meant to be a throwback...