Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

2 hours ago, D_A_R_T_H said:

I added the reel codes but I'm missing some, do you have this information ?  (*)

I'm looking for the complete breakdown too....

01. 1M01 - He's Here For Us                
02. 1M02 - A Long Ride Ahead               
03. 1M03 - Wobani Imperial Labor Camp      
04. XM04 - There Are Spies Everywhere   1M04 ? 2M04 ?     
05. XM05 - The Detention of Jyn Erso       1M05 ? 2M05 ?
06. XM06 - Jyn's Interrogation              1M06 ? 2M06 ? 
07. XM07 - Mission to Jedha                1M07 ? 2M07
08. 2M08 - Trust Goes Both Ways            
09. 2M09 - When Has Become Now             
10. 2M10 - Jyn's Memories of Childhood     
11. 2M11 - Jedha Arrival                   
12. 2M13 - Hearts of Kyber                 
13. 2M14 - Ambush in Jedha City            
14. 2M14 - Jedha City Ambush               
15. XM15A - Let Them Pass in Peace (Part 1)      2M15a ? 
16. XM15B - Let Them Pass in Peace (Part 2)     2M15b ?
17. XM16 - No Friends of the Empire                      2M16 ?
18. XM17 - Imperial Departure                              2M17 ?
19. XM18 - Reunion at Saw's Hideout             2M18 ?
20. XM19 - Cassian's Prison                           2M19 ? 
21. 3M20 - Today of All Days               
22. 3M21 - Star-Dust                       
23. 3M22 - An Imperial Test of Power                3M22 ?
24. XM23 - Apologies Are in Order                  3M23 ? 
25. XM24 - News from the Ashes                     3M24 ?
26. 4M25 - Approach to Eadu                            
27. 4M26 - No Trust Among Rebels           
28. 4M27 - Jyn's Path Is Clear             
29. 4M28 - Confrontation on Eadu           
30. 4M29 - Krennic's Aspirations           
31. 5M30 - Rebellions Are Built on Hope    
32. 5M31 - A Rebel Change of Heart         
33. 5M32 - Rogue One                        
34. 5M33 - Cargo Shuttle SW-0608           
35. 5M34 - Good Luck Little Sister         
36. 5M35 - What Brings You to Scarif       
37. 5M36 - Are We Blind                    
38. 5M37 - Scrambling the Rebel Fleet      
39. 5M38A -  AT-ACT Assault                
40. XM39 - Finding a Way Through           5M39 ? 6M39 ? 
41. 6M40 - Project Star-Dust               
42. 6M41 - Entering the Imperial Archives  
43. 6M42 - Get That Beach Under Control    
44. 6M43 - The Master Switch               
45. 7M44 - We Have to Press the Attack     
46. 7M45- Scarif Antenna Alignment         
47. 7M46 - Your Father Would Be Proud      
48. 7M49 - Hope                            
49. Jyn Erso & Hope Suite                  
50. The Imperial Suite                     
51. Guardians of the Whills Suite          

Most of those reel codes aren't confirmed I believe. AFAIK the only reel codes that we have come from the FYC, they're in Jay's spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P1YtETbm10jj2PUJ_4l9bBdVuVVtm8u3QP4ea3Y8CG8/edit

You're also missing The Bazaars of Jedha cue that wasn't on the album

Yes I am unaware of any actual reel and part numbers being available outside the FYC filenames.

Everything else online is just fan speculation

My question at this point is whether we'll ever get a physical CD of this deluxe edition release.

Given that Solo's expantion is being released, what are the probabilities that this score will get the same?

• 3 months later...
On 07/12/2016 at 1:06 AM, King Mark said:

Here's my prediction:

This score will get a deluxe 2 c.d expanded release long before JW's prequel scores and TFA.

I revisited this score and thread for the first time in years and this comment stood out to me. Sadly a true prediction (although it isn't a CD release).

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

These days it seems like every blockbuster score gets a "deluxe edition", even when no one cares about the composer or the score... but not Williams. 

True. Furthermore every Disney Star Wars project gets a release, even if on digital, but gets it, but THE greatest Star Wars scores, the 6+3 original John Williams Star Wars scores that the most people love, want and would buy aren't rereleased in any form, not even on their anniversaries.

This says volumes about how much Iger, Kennedy or whoever runs Walt Disney Records or whoever owns the rights to the scores, care about the music of Star Wars, one of which not only won the Academy Award for Best Original Score but is widely regarded as the greatest score of all time. 

This happens when a company is run by dilettanti.

23 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

We know that Disney/Lucasfilm listen to John

How do we know that? Mike spoke about it?

23 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

And it's just not true that 'every' modern blockbusters get complete releases and Williams doesn't - that was debunked when an equally hyperbolic KM accused the industry of wholesale refusing to expand JW's scores.

Let's see. Below are the 10 biggest movies of 2023 at the box office and how their official albums (only the score, not counting the soundtrack albums with the songs) were released:

1. The Super Mario Bros. Movie - OST is 88 minutes long, movie is 92 minutes long.
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - OST is 63 minutes long, movie is 150 minutes long.
  3. Fast X - OST is 104 minutes long, movie is 141 minutes long.
  4. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania - OST is 60 minutes long, movie is 124 minutes long.
  5. John Wick: Chapter 4 - OST is 85 minutes long, movie is 169 minutes long.
  6. The Little Mermaid - Two OST albums of 40 minutes and 78 minutes, movie is 135 minutes long.
  7. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - OST is 107 minutes long, movie is 140 minutes long.
  8. Creed III - OST is 68 minutes long, movie is 116 minutes long.
  9. Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves - OST is 90 minutes long, movie is 134 minutes long.
  10. Scream VI - OST is 95 minutes long, movie is 122 minutes long.

So if we consider the normal OST to have 78 minutes or less give or take, then only 4 of the year's biggest movies got traditional albums. The other six received long and complete OST albums.

We'll see how Indy 5 will fare, considering it's a 150 minutes movie. If the album is indeed just 75 minutes, then yeah, we live in a world where the fucking Fast and Furious sequel get a complete score release and a John Wiliams Indiana Jones score doesn't (though you may be right that this is Williams' fault and not the industry's). 

44 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

If the album is indeed just 75 minutes, then yeah, we live in a world where the fucking Fast and Furious sequel get a complete score release and a John Wiliams Indiana Jones score doesn't (though you may be right that this is Williams' fault and not the industry's). 

The only score in that list above that could sensibly contain the complete score is Super Mario Bros. Everything else has at least 30-40 minutes less than the movie's length. Those are extremely generous releases based on what their respective composers wanted to put out, but they're highly unlikely to be complete.

John Williams is obsessed with creating carefully curated albums, and against presenting complete scores of recent work. That's why he doesn't have longer releases.

8 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

only score in that list above that could sensibly contain the complete score is Super Mario Bros. Everything else has at least 30-40 minutes less than the movie's length. Those are extremely generous releases based on what their respective composers wanted to put out, but they're highly unlikely to be complete

Believe me, I'd be much happier If a JW score received a release similar to FX or Spiderverse, with over a 100 minutes of music.

Still, those were written by younger composers who are probably familiar with streaming and have no problem releasing 100 minute albums. Williams unfortunately is still stuck with the sacred listening experience, even though with Spotify he could just release every single cue.

It's why crap Netflix shows that barely use real musicians have long albums while JW's mind is still in the 1990s.

We'd all be happier if a longer release were available but that's just not what he wants.

I'm no happier about the Indy/SW situation than anyone else here, but complaining about the latest action blockbuster getting most of its score released is not the way to express it. We should be celebrating that it happens to a lot of movies now, and remembering that Williams' old ways are the cause, not evil record producers.

He's the worst enemy of some here - simultaneously idolised for his music, but cursed for his reluctance to release it.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

If we already got expansions for the two spinoff films, it's clear that the composer has at the very least a major say in what is released and when.

To be fair I've seen some Rebels composers retweet fan petitions to get a season 3/4 soundtrack release, which at least implies they don't have the power to ask for one on their own

1 hour ago, enderdrag64 said:

To be fair I've seen some Rebels composers retweet fan petitions to get a season 3/4 soundtrack release, which at least implies they don't have the power to ask for one on their own

I would assume it's different for composers on the cartoon shows vs major blockbusters, especially considering someone like John Powell has a lot more pull in the industry than, say, Kevin Kiner. And then you have someone like JW way at the top of the chain.

Powell and Gia I know had to do some convincing too, but it was just a matter of waiting for the right time. I would imagine Gia probably had more roadblocks too given the AFM fee's whereas that was not an issue for Solo.

18 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The weird thing about those though is that Disney never promoted either. Almost as if the composers took it onto themselves to release them. Plus one is called "expanded edition" whereas the other one is a "deluxe". Did they pay for those releases out of their own pocket, do you think? I don't think you would have Williams' end title material missing in Rogue One and Han suite not appearing on Solo had it been done by Walt Disney Records. 

Karol

Well they were published by Disney Records, so I'm not sure what the situation was in terms of the marketing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

What reason would they have for denying John's request had he made one?

Why should John Williams ASK? 

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

while JW's mind is still in the 1990s.

I don’t want him to ever change.

9 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

his reluctance to release it.

Rereleasing the already released SW OT scores as Remastered Editions isn’t something John Williams doesn’t want. I don’t think it’s up to him to decide. 

16 hours ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Looking forward to something that happens all the time?

I deserved that, and worded what I was saying badly. I feel those fans more Williams-oriented have been served better and more consistently than fans of other composers recently.

13 minutes ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

I dunno

Yavar seems pretty satisfied as a Goldsmithy.

Horner fans don't seem to be starving

Are... Are you saying that they're better composers? Because they're all dead?

Williams, Goldsmith, and Horner fans are all being well-served... simply because those are the composers who sell best! Probably Barry belongs in there too (plus Herrmann and Rozsa if we go back a little further... but unfortunately I'm starting to suspect all that can be released for those two probably HAS been released, barring new recordings).

Yavar

21 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Let's see. Below are the 10 biggest movies of 2023 at the box office and how their official albums (only the score, not counting the soundtrack albums with the songs) were released:

1. The Super Mario Bros. Movie - OST is 88 minutes long, movie is 92 minutes long.
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - OST is 63 minutes long, movie is 150 minutes long.
  3. Fast X - OST is 104 minutes long, movie is 141 minutes long.
  4. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania - OST is 60 minutes long, movie is 124 minutes long.
  5. John Wick: Chapter 4 - OST is 85 minutes long, movie is 169 minutes long.
  6. The Little Mermaid - Two OST albums of 40 minutes and 78 minutes, movie is 135 minutes long.
  7. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - OST is 107 minutes long, movie is 140 minutes long.
  8. Creed III - OST is 68 minutes long, movie is 116 minutes long.
  9. Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves - OST is 90 minutes long, movie is 134 minutes long.
  10. Scream VI - OST is 95 minutes long, movie is 122 minutes long.

So if we consider the normal OST to have 78 minutes or less give or take, then only 4 of the year's biggest movies got traditional albums. The other six received long and complete OST albums.

We'll see how Indy 5 will fare, considering it's a 150 minutes movie. If the album is indeed just 75 minutes, then yeah, we live in a world where the fucking Fast and Furious sequel get a complete score release and a John Wiliams Indiana Jones score doesn't (though you may be right that this is Williams' fault and not the industry's). 

I always assumed the shorter soundtrack lengths were Williams doing. If I remember correctly I read once that Williams is heavily involved in album editing. Which sadly I can see considering he's a massive perfectionist who probably thinks nobody wants to hear unused music. 

Though I find it odd that I can listen to a 2 hour expanded Superman soundtrack but I can't hear the 1997 expanded Original Trilogy soundtracks on streaming. 

24 minutes ago, Courtney said:

he's a massive perfectionist who probably thinks nobody wants to hear unused music

Not all music that ends up on the soundtrack album gets used though. He curates a listening experience that he is satisfied with.

25 minutes ago, Courtney said:

Though I find it odd that I can listen to a 2 hour expanded Superman soundtrack but I can't hear the 1997 expanded Original Trilogy soundtracks on streaming. 

The '97 sets are vastly incomplete and have lots of issues depending on which film you're talking about.

9 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I want new Star Wars sets as well, but "vastly incomplete" is certainly an exaggeration.

Well, I was referring to the several bits of Jedi that are missing missing, but I suppose you're right. Really hoping they can be found, it would be really unfortunate if they can't be. 

1 hour ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

unused Source cue

I'm thinking this one was in reference to either just one of the two Max Rebo source cues (which people often thought was one long piece), or one of the two demos (Fancy Man / Freedom).

20 minutes ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

SW: missing the original credits segue

ESB: original short credits (heard in the Radio Drama), Yoda Appears film version insert, Finale slow clean end, possibly short insert for Ice Planet Hoth, if it was recorded. (Han comes into the control room and sees Leia)

ROTJ: Jabba Theme Concert Arrangement, unused Source cue, Max Rebo/Sail Barge source cue/cues, Lapti Nek film version, Forest Battle insert, Yub Nub film version? ROTJ credits intro-ish

The ghost of Jerry Goldsmith is shouting "Bottlecaps!" at you. And me.

23 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'm thinking this one was in reference to either just one of the two Max Rebo source cues (which people often thought was one long piece), or one of the two demos (Fancy Man / Freedom).

Lukas Kendall said the unused source cue "sounds like elevator synth music".

Here: http://www.jw-collection.de/print/pdf/1994_fsm_V1_N4_JanFebMarch.pdf

38 minutes ago, Jay said:

Lukas Kendall said the unused source cue "sounds like elevator synth music".

Here: http://www.jw-collection.de/print/pdf/1994_fsm_V1_N4_JanFebMarch.pdf

Oh nice! I didn't realize we had any information on it.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

That's from Volume 1, Issue 41-42-43 (January/February/March 1994) of Film Score Monthly magazine.

Available here if you're a subscriber.

You can download it if you're not a subscriber too, I believe all the pre -2005 FSM print back issues are available for free 

Now can anyone remember if and where it was said that the tapes for the source music had been lost? I could've sworn Mike said something to that effect, but could be misremembering. (Scratch that, I found it). Because I always assumed the tapes were lost during production of one of the documentaries (perhaps that was rumored at some point) whereas this article makes it clear that at the very least the overdub tapes were in Lukas/Ford's possession as late as '93. So *if* they were lost, it would've had to have been sometime between 1993 and 1997 (unless the "lost" comment only applied to the masters, and not the overdubs).

36 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Now can anyone remember if and where it was said that the tapes for the source music had been lost? I could've sworn Mike said something to that effect, but could be misremembering. Because I always assumed the tapes were lost during production of one of the documentaries (perhaps that was rumored at some point) whereas this article makes it clear that at the very least the overdub tapes were in Lukas/Ford's possession as late as '93. So *if* they were lost, it would've had to have been sometime between 1993 and 1997 (unless the "lost" comment only applied to the masters, and not the overdubs).

The rumour was they were lost after the From Star Wars to Jedi Making of documentary, but I could of sworn there was a tracklist for a proposed 5th disc for the Anthology set out there somewhere that had them on it but I'm struggling to find it 

18 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

but I could of sworn there was a tracklist for a proposed 5th disc for the Anthology set out there somewhere that had them on it but I'm struggling to find it 

Yes that is correct, and as I said Lukas Kendall confirmed that they had the tapes for the Anthology boxset but chose not to transfer them because they didn't have time. I have the tracklist somewhere, but for some reason can't locate it at the moment...

EDIT: It's not a "tracklist" per say, but a list of what could have been on the 5th disc...

I’m absolutely certain that one day we’ll get a COMPLETE Star Wars Original Trilogy Box Set with every second of music ever recorded for the films. That day will possibly come After John Williams passes away (many years from now hopefully), but it will happen. 

7 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Yes that is correct, and as I said Lukas Kendall confirmed that they had the tapes for the Anthology boxset but chose not to transfer them because they didn't have time. I have the tracklist somewhere ,but for some reason can't locate it at the moment...

EDIT: It's not a "tracklist" per say, but a list of what could have been on the 5th disc...

That's just a guy typing up what he read in the FSM article I linked to.