Best Expansion of the last 10 years (2013-2023)

Tallguy

Someone mentioned Tomorrow Never Dies as the best expansion in years. It's great, but I don't think that's it. (For me. This is obviously a personal choice, no matter how much we might think otherwise.)

It's been kind of a blurry 10 years. All the Star Treks were before 2013. (Very high points for me.) We haven't had any Star Wars expansions. (OTOH we had five new Star Wars scores, three of them from JW.)

I'm sure I'm missing something landmark and obvious, but for me I keep coming back to The Eiger Sanction, Always, and Close Encounters. (I suppose I should include E.T.?) Of those, Eiger keeps edging in for the win. They could have just released the LP so getting the LP and the score is a dream. I never had it before and there isn't much (anything?) in my collection that sounds like it, Williams or otherwise.

Wow. I'm realizing that there is also Apollo 13 and Titanic in here. Which have gone from "essential" to "gee, I'm glad I have that". Oh! The Rocketeer! That probably breaks into the list.

So if I have to pick one I'll say Eiger.

You guys can now refresh an old man's memory.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Someone mentioned Tomorrow Never Dies as the best expansion in years. It's great, but I don't think that's it.

That was me, haha. I wasn't being totally literal, although it's fair to say that I don't indulge in physical purchases as much as I once did, so that one did excite me tremendously.

I think, since you mentioned it, the La-La Land expansion of Titanic was, for me, the most important and enjoyable within that time frame.

15 minutes ago, Indianagirl said:

When you guys say Dracula do you mean Bram Stoker's or John Williams deluxe dracula from verese (I think)?

Both are great, to be honest. But I personally mean JW.

Karol

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I think the "best" expansion title should define an expansion who offered a totally new perspective on a score in comparison to what it was previously featured on the OST. Then it should offer a program and a sound that are enjoyable, so it implies that some editorial choices were made, and that they make concensus.

Yes.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

That's why I'm not considering (for me) Superman but I am considering Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Even though the LLL Superman is the edition I listen to as is the latest release of Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Wrath of Khan.

Oh, man. I forgot Back to the Future! That seems like another LIFETIME.

When was Days of Thunder? Ohhhh right on the line, November 2013.

1 hour ago, Indianagirl said:

When you guys say Dracula do you mean Bram Stoker's or John Williams deluxe dracula from verese (I think)?

Probably "yes"! :D

46 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Both are great, to be honest. But I personally mean JW.

Karol

The expansion of John William's Dracula came out in another context in 2018. The 1990 CD really sounded dead (surely because it was a LP transfer with a catastrophic denoising à la 90's) and we were told the original tapes had been lost for eternity. The 2018 release, resulting of the discovery of the tapes, straight out of a grave, was like a resurrection for us. Okay I stop my vampire puns.

But did the complete score experience shed a new moonbeam on the overall score? By comparison of the excellent OST that we enjoyed on the original LP for so many years? 

Not as much as "Chuck" Kilar's Dracula. 

I know, I know, I have no business in a thread like this. But just one question -- if there is a score-only release, and the only previous OST was a "songtrack" with one or two score clips, does that count as an expansion? Or a 'premiere release'? If it counts, I have a few favs within this timegap.

On 06/01/2023 at 9:17 AM, Thor said:

I know, I know, I have no business in a thread like this. But just one question -- if there is a score-only release, and the only previous OST was a "songtrack" with one or two score clips, does that count as an expansion? Or a 'premiere release'? If it counts, I have a few favs within this timegap.

I would consider these kind of "Score" releases (in comparison to the "Soundtrack" releases) as "Premieres"... As long as the "Soundtrack album" featured "score" cues with a "single-like" (SP/45 RPM) total lenght, not more.

But that's my two cents.

11 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The expansion of John William's Dracula came out in another context in 2018. The 1990 CD really sounded dead (surely because it was a LP transfer with a catastrophic denoising à la 90's) and we were told the original tapes had been lost for eternity. The 2018 release, resulting of the discovery of the tapes, straight out of a grave, was like a resurrection for us. Okay I stop my vampire puns.

But did the complete score experience shed a new moonbeam on the overall score? By comparison of the excellent OST that we enjoyed on the original LP for so many years? 

Not as much as "Chuck" Kilar's Dracula. 

Oh yes, absolutely. A lot of the secondary thematic material was not present on the old album. It's less repetitive.

Karol

53 minutes ago, Thor said:

Funny, I didn't even distinguish between "expansion" and "new old stuff". Days of Thunder fits the above.

"Cool stuff The Labels put out that wasn't brand new." Much more precise. :D

I wish I loved the Potter scores more. That set would surely have been a grail for me.

1 minute ago, Tallguy said:

Funny, I didn't even distinguish between "expansion" and "new old stuff". Days of Thunder fits the above.

Typically we just refer to those as "catalog releases"

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I wish I loved the Potter scores more. That set would surely have been a grail for me.

Well, not sure if that clarified it, but SCARFACE certainly fits the bill for me. A couple of score tracks on the OST, but great to have a score-only release (even if I have to weed it down a bit). DAYS OF THUNDER is certainly another good example, although I had an old boot of that that worked very well.

Other examples include THE BODYGUARD, BEVERLY HILLS COP, RAIN MAN and GRAND CANYON. Probably more I'm forgetting.

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

Other examples include THE BODYGUARD, BEVERLY HILLS COP, RAIN MAN and GRAND CANYON. Probably more I'm forgetting.

BTTF 1 fits this bill for me (prior song comp with minimal score). EDIT: oh shucks, I just reread the thread title.

I would struggle to formulate a top ten of expansions, let alone narrow it down to one, due to the absolute cloudburst of stuff we've received since circa the Blue Box.

On a contrary note, which releases would be potential candidates for the most unnecessary expansion I wonder? 🤔

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

Well, not sure if that clarified it, but SCARFACE certainly fits the bill for me. A couple of score tracks on the OST, but great to have a score-only release (even if I have to weed it down a bit). DAYS OF THUNDER is certainly another good example, although I had an old boot of that that worked very well.

I don't think I knew there was an expanded Rain Man.

20 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

What do we mean by "Best" expansion?

In terms of music quality, or in terms of length of unreleased music now released?

Whatever you want it to be! :)

That's right. The OST had a couple of score tracks, so would technically qualify as an expansion. My pick here was the NoteforNote one -- which was both within the timeframe given, and of considerably better sound quality than the disastrous Perseverance one, which I thankfully got to sell off in time.

4 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:
  • Dante's Peak by John Frizzell

Kinda surprised anyone else listed this. It was my #1 grail but for reasons even I can't explain. However, someone put the eruption scene on YT with isolated music, so I know I wasn't the only one who needed that cue.

My top picks are the Jurassic box and Sleepy Hollow, both of which were out of the blue when we thought we'd seen the last word on both scores.

Also War of the Worlds - a great, comprehensive presentation which also begs the question of what the hell happened to the sound when making the OST!

Dracula. It was an absolute grail, thought lost.  It was so special, they even gave it a slipcover like for Blu rays.  The new material made a repetitive soundtrack an absolute delight, with nice bits of familiar sounding material recalling Close Encounters and predating ESB. 

The other Dracula by Kilar is also noteworthy for its incredible comprehensive presentation, with treasures I had never dreamed of hearing before. 

Yeah, Drac has been done right. 

The Godfather, Dracula, PSYCHO II and PSYCHO III these in particular took so long to get expansions. The Godfather had a OST on CD and kept reissuing the same master since 1972 until last year we finally got an expanded edition. Both Dracula and PSYCHO II were released by MCA records in 1979 and 1983 both would then be release by Varese on CD in the early 90's and after that not even a reissue of either and were out of print until both finally got the complete scores people had been waiting for. PSYCHO III was only partially released on a LP in 1986 by MCA Records and not even a CD of the album. 

13 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Not only is CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND the best expansion of the last ten years, it's the best fucking expansion, ever!

Hmmmm. CE is in a muddy place for me. The LP is perfect. I mean SO PERFECT. Then the first expansion wasn't. The music is still great, to be sure. How can some of the best music John Williams has ever written depend so much on presentation? Then the LLL comes out and I fall in love with the score all over again.

But I think my heart belongs to either the Arista Star Wars box or the LLL Star Trek: The Motion Picture. (Which, in the case of Star Trek if we had gone from the LP to the LLL without Sony in the middle would have probably won, hands down.) (Except... Star Wars...)

But Close Encounters was in the last 10 years and the others weren't. (Except... Eiger...)

30 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Hmmmm. CE is in a muddy place for me. The LP is perfect. I mean SO PERFECT.

Well, the sound of the OST has been sooo much improved in the latest 2017 expansion that, even if the Masters of the album were remasterized and reissued on CD in 2015, the best actual experience of the OST is to reproduce it with the 2017 expansion.  Mike Matessino reproduced all the edits that allow that on the 2nd CD (well, except a track that merge the Main Title and TV Reveals/Across the Country).

image.png

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Mike Matessino reproduced all the edits that allow that on the 2nd CD (well, except the merging of the Main title and TV Reveals).

"Nocturnal Pursuit" isn't re-created either.

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

"Nocturnal Pursuit" isn't re-created either.

You are right, I forgot it. 

At least the B-side is here, intact!

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

And the disco track.  Where’s my disco track?

I don't know how full the disc is, but that was a surprising omission. I don't know that I'd trade anything for it. But that's because I have it on the original CD.

2 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I don't know how full the disc is, but that was a surprising omission. I don't know that I'd trade anything for it. But that's because I have it on the original CD.

The Disco version is on the 2015 remastered CD too.

But like I said earlier, once we listened to the 2017 expansion, it's hard to go back!!!

Primary

I think a good expansion should always offer the possibility to recreate the OST... when it's possible. I guess for CE3K they did their very best to fill 2-CD without making too much repetitions. And well, without edits, we can manage to make something that is very close to the OST.

But I think many of us would buy a newly remixed CE3K OST done by Mike Matessino, and of course, including this time, the Disco version!

It is shocking how many times Mike or Neil has re-created an OST program from original session elements, and the music label that has the OST album up on digital sites just leaves the old master up instead of replacing it with the new rebuild

A bunch of releases come to mind, each for slightly different reasons:

• CE3K: thoughtful program that still allows for C&C rearranging if you prefer
  • Superman: vastly improved sound quality, even if I don't listen that often
  • The Cowboys: never had the OST, love the score
  • Jaws: better sound quality, and I listen often
  • Potter set: huge amounts of great new music, despite some disappointing omissions
  • JP set: I'll never need another release of either score—definitive presentations that I listen to often
  • E.T.: another definitive presentation; less new music, but I listen often

I'll say JP, with Potter an extremely close second.

That being said, I'm listening to CE3K this morning.

5 minutes ago, Datameister said:

The Cowboys: never had the OST, love the score

The Cowboys did not have an OST album.

The LP in stores in the 70s was a bootleg some random dude put together, while the 1994 Varese CD was something Robert Townson assembled without input from Williams.

The Deluxe Edition release is the first and only time John Williams had any input on a Cowboys album.

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Cowboys did not have an OST album.

The LP in stores in the 70s was a bootleg some random dude put together, while the 1994 Varese CD was something Robert Townson assembled without input from Williams.

The Deluxe Edition release is the first and only time John Williams had any input on a Cowboys album.

Fair enough—I was referring to the Varese CD but I'd forgotten about that whole situation.