John Williams video featurette for Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

JNHFan2000

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

The quote? There's two Instagram posts in thread of her at the recording sessions, nothing to do with the concert performance of it (which is also in the thread)

I only re-read your post specifically, which only has one (unrelated) Instagram link about a parking spot reserved for Ramiro Belgardt. The quote mentions a solo violin performance, but doesn't mention Anne-Sophie.

2 hours ago, Damien F said:

Maybe KK does programming and she was actually using a zero based index when referring to the number of notes.

If you mix up zero-based ordinal numbers with cardinal numbers in your code, you're still fucked. ;) 

2 hours ago, Damien F said:

Maybe KK does programming and she was actually using a zero based index when referring to the number of notes.

Well in that case she would say "3 notes" but if asked about the last note she would say "number 2".

(This is the dumbest thing I have ever written.)

When I heard her talk about instantly recognizing the IJ theme after 3 notes, I got confused because I think of the IJ theme as 7 notes:

raiders.png

And out of those 7, I think of the first 4 of those as being enough to make it exactly clear which theme you're hearing.  To me, the first 3 are not quite enough for the average layperson to always know which theme it id, but the first 4 notes would be enough for many people to get it.

In my opinion.

If she was talking about the opening ostinato instead of the main theme, then I"m not musically educated enough to line up the ostinato as I hear it in my head to what I see in the sheet music:

image.png

In my head the ostinato is 11 notes long -- 5 notes then 6 notes: BUM, ba-da-dum-bum.....BUM, ba-da-BA-dum-bum. 

But on the page it looks like 9 notes -- 4 notes then 5?

I need lessons!

I always think of it as starting with 4 notes "bump ba da bump"

I don't consider measures when counting actual note content, to me it's the equivalent of a pa-

ge layout where you break a sentence with a dash.

32 minutes ago, Doug Adams said:

Sorry. Clumsy fingers. The next note falls in bar two.

I should also mention I’m talking about the timpani part, which is what I usually play. 

I’m gonna stop posting now! Lol

16 hours ago, JTW said:

Why did KK say she would make great Star Wars movies?

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35450-john-williams-video-featurette-for-indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny/&do=findComment&comment=1964911

1 - The following types of posts are not allowed:

Non-productive posts -- Any post that does not contribute to the topic, and has the potential to hinder the ongoing discussion at hand, is considered non-productive.

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33734-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting/

A warning was given for the post quoted above. Please try to keep the thread on topic. 

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Doug Adams said:

I should also mention I’m talking about the timpani part, which is what I usually play. 

I’m gonna stop posting now! Lol

Isn't that 2 notes?

image.png

8 minutes ago, Loert said:

Do they not teach maths in North America?

Music theory is just unknown magic to me until I finally learn it lol.  My ignorance with these matters does not translate to ignorance in others!

3 minutes ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Apparently nobody knows how to spell Anne-Sophie Nutter's name ;)

I don't get it

Just now, Doug Adams said:

Lol thus ends my adventure in sleep-deprived posting! Sorry!

No need to be sorry, I enjoyed all of this immensely!

4 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Speak for yourself!

I meant other matters, not other people

4 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I wish I could say the same!

You edited your post!

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't get it

At least two or three people have misspelled it in this thread.

Anna instead of Anne.

Sophia instead of Sophie.

23 minutes ago, Courtney said:

I cannot fathom how anyone can get mad at anybody for an interview blurb. Kathleen Kennedy can call Spielberg Steve instead of Steven and y'all will act like she kicked your grandma, your puppy, and your groin in that order.

There are many times when the attentiveness of this place is wonderful, and other times when the fires of the music Gods rise because someone possibly makes a minor mistake while saying an off-the-cuff soundbite in a video that four 'lay' people will watch. Sigh.

I just watched the featurette again.

Immediately after Kathleen Kennedy says "that theme, that in 3 notes you're gonna recognize...", the video cuts to trumpets playing the first 4 notes of the main theme :)

So at least the video editor did not think that she was talking about the ostinato, but to the same figure that I thought she was.

Anyways, the reason I watched again to was to try to hear the new music in the video better.  Boy, I like the music I'm hearing in this :)

So she definitely got it wrong, but it was certainly worth no more than a 'oh, she means four doesn't she... yep (Y)' and not accusations of laziness and ignorance and demands for a retake.

Sorry, my post was not a response to yours, yours came in while I was typing mine up and I didn't see it until after

But yes, JTW's posts about her in this thread were completely out of line thread derailments.

JWFan's getting a little crazy now that there's a week to a new Johhny OST. 

Reminds me of 2008, 2011, and 2015 a bit! 

10 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

And 2022 (Fabelmans)

I don't recall 2022 (or 2017 or 2019) being quite as wild as the years I mentioned was.  Plus, IJ4, Tintin/War Horse, and TFA all had multiple, multiple threads for each score, while Fabelmans barely has enough content to justify the discussion of the complete score not just being included in the OST album thread

Just now, Bellosh said:

If 3 notes is getting us wild right now imagine when we hear all the notes 

Every note recorded.

At least as Sony understood it in 1999 ;)

25 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Indiana Jones theme is recognizable by three notes, JW does three note quotes often.  

Name one three note quote.

I'll wait.

16 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

There's one in Desert Chase 

Nope.

9 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

does this count? the 4th note comes in kinda late

It barely even counts as the Indy theme lol ;)

26 minutes ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Nope.

It barely even counts as the Indy theme lol ;)

You know it's true...

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 8.15.33 PM.png

edit: actually the only reason I knew that that was Indy's theme was doug adam's Indy podcast episode back in 2008.

BLEW MY MIND!