James Horner's SNEAKERS (1992) - 2023 2-CD Expanded Edition from La La Land Records, Produced by Neil S. Bulk and Mike Matessino

Jay

What a nice surprise! I have been hoping for an expansion of this score for some time. :) 

The samples are the first I'm hearing of this, and I like what I'm hearing... but don't exactly love it just from this. Will require further investigation!

A novel score for JH at the time - I think this was the first time he used his Bicentennial/Beautiful/Bobby Fischer theme, ie. the genius theme I think.

As with a lot of the other recent JH expansions, not entirely sure this needs it. I watched the film recently and most of the stuff is on the 1992 release - convince me otherwise.

I mean, maybe LLL’s Disc 1 program includes some cues that were recorded for the film but not used in it? But it’s pretty evident that there is a 25 minute time difference between the original album length and the length of the full score as recorded for the film:

IMG_6605.jpeg

From what I remember of the film most of the music on CD 1 is used pretty much complete.

There are some fantastic cues not on the OST disk, such as “Carl Enters Playtronics “, and the film version of “Cosmo… Old Friend”.

Perfect music for writing code.

Shipped!

On 04/12/2023 at 10:32 PM, OneBuckFilms said:

Perfect music for writing code.

I've been listening to Tron, Heartbeeps, Person of Interest, Days of Thunder(!), and a fair amount of Bach.

But I'm looking forward to coding / complaining while listening to Sneakers!

I don't know when my copy will be arriving, but I sooo cannot wait to dig into it and read the liner notes!!!

Does anybody else on JWFan have any comments on this yet?

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Speaking of Jeremy Subharmonics, has anybody on JWFan figured out what that means yet?

I have not. And I just looked through the liner notes and nothing jumped out at me. I'll give it a solid read this evening and if I missed something I'll report.

image.jpeg

It's been 30 years since I've seen the film and I just remembered something. So while I was feeling vaguely clever, isn't this literally how the credits are presented? :blush:

A very nice thing about this release is a reminder of how great Too Many Secrets is and always has been!

I acquired this for an evaluation listen to see if I'd like it, having only ever heard the samples from it. During What Did It Sound Like, I shut it off and deleted it.

Because I liked it so much that half the score was easily enough to make me decide to buy it! And then of course I wanted to save it for when I already have it.

Sometimes I have a complaint with Horner that his long unbroken tracks (when his spotting is based on "how much can I physically conduct in one before I get a cramp in my hand") cover so much ground, so many scenes and have to change mood and direction so much that overall they have zero identity, all those tracks are just a mush of everything, or at least it can take longer to grasp them and understand the structure. Well that is certainly not the case here! It's all very pleasingly coherent, very cohesive. Great instrument use and writing, it's lowkey fun leaning more towards just pleasant and satisfying, truly inspired. Love it.

13 hours ago, Tallguy said:

It's been 30 years since I've seen the film and I just remembered something. So while I was feeling vaguely clever, isn't this literally how the credits are presented? :blush:

"Fort Red Border"

I think Sneakers was where I learned what an anagram is.

20 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

"Fort Red Border"

I think Sneakers was where I learned what an anagram is.

Ah yes, the famous actor Ford Red Robert!

4 hours ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

not a fan of the decision to combine three cues and build the single track Bishop Goes To NSA / Surveillance / Black Box. Especially the first cue deserves a proper ending.

I agree, though I can see why it was done.

I'd rather they had kept all the cues as either separate tracks or left a clear audio gap between each cue in the track.

8 hours ago, Tallguy said:

This is a case where I don't know what they sound like in the film. So I don't know what they are "supposed" to sound like.

well the complete score has already beenfloating around for a while, that‘s why I noticed it in the first place

it's my absolute favorite next to Titanic and it really defined so much of his work after Sneakers. 

I bought the written score and it was so interesting to read along and to discover so many things, e.g. the use of several pianos and them playing the bass riffs unisono – if you know about that, you can hear it, too. 

That reminds me: Is the 2 minutes of music added to the end of "Too Many Secrets (Extended Version)" that wasn't in "Too Many Secrets" (OST track) included as part of "5M1 Scrabble & Black Box Secrets" in the Omni book? Or is that music not in the book at all?

Same question for the 2 1/2 minutes of music added to the end of "Cosmo... Old Friend (Film Version)" that wasn't in "Cosmo... Old Friend" (OST track)... is that a part of "7M1 Cosmo's Office" in the Omni book, or just not in the book?

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

That reminds me: Is the 2 minutes of music added to the end of "Too Many Secrets (Extended Version)" that wasn't in "Too Many Secrets" (OST track) included as part of "5M1 Scrabble & Black Box Secrets" in the Omni book? Or is that music not in the book at all?

it's not in the book at all and can't be find in the leaked handwritten score either. I've been wondering about that extra part anyway, since it's not in the film, IIRC. And to me it sounds different and more electronic (piano and claves) than the part before. 

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Same question for the 2 1/2 minutes of music added to the end of "Cosmo... Old Friend (Film Version)" that wasn't in "Cosmo... Old Friend" (OST track)... is that a part of "7M1 Cosmo's Office" in the Omni book, or just not in the book?

yeah it's in the book, pp. 94-95.

Interesting that Horner wrote the scene for Martin in Liz's apartment as part of the long cue for him in Cosmo's Office, since they are separated in the film by the unscored scene of him being dumped out of the car in the street.

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

Interesting that Horner wrote the scene for Martin in Liz's apartment as part of the long cue for him in Cosmo's Office, since they are separated in the film by the unscored scene of him being dumped out of the car in the street.

I don't think Horner wrote it as one cue, it's just the way it's represented in the Omni print. In the handwritten score the apartment scene is not part of the long Cosmo cue, in fact it's not there at all, probably because it's just piano and synths.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh that makes sense

So the Omni guys might have transcribed that cue from the audio themselves rather than having access to a handwritten version to start from

Kind of like how they made a version of the tracked music used instead of most of "Goodbye" for the book

1 hour ago, Jay said:

So the Omni guys might have transcribed that cue from the audio themselves rather than having access to a handwritten version to start from

Kind of like how they made a version of the tracked music used instead of most of "Goodbye" for the book

I guess so, yeah!

I loved the main program too, the only change I made for my "edit" is that I put the alternate "sneakers theme" in the main program named "Peace on Earth and Good Will Toward Men", and moved the film/OST version to the end with an unchanged name as if it's a concert piece or something. Watched the movie since then and the score was definitely the best part of it, very inspired, better than it deserved!