Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga

Jay

19 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Fury Road is the Rick and Morty of movies

You mean the intensity of it all? I tried RICK AND MORTY on Netflix, and didn't care for it much. Too frenetic. But I love FURY ROAD. So go figure. 

• 8 months later...

Speaking of Mad Max, Miller shared that he’s “not done with the Mad Max story” and that there is “another Mad Max coming down the pike” revealing that they are in preparation on the next project even as Three Thousand Years of Longing enters pre-production.

“It’s an interesting question, the idea of multi-tasking. I discuss this with other filmmakers and I think what happens to me is that when you’re working on one thing, and you get so distracted and focused on that one thing, it’s like a creative holiday to focus on the other one for a bit. It helps you achieve that objectivity, to look at the thing afresh each time and say, I thought I was doing this, but it doesn’t seem to be the case now.”

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1157604-george-miller-gives-update-on-three-thousand-years-of-longing-fury-road-sequel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Looks as visually spectacular as Fury Road (maybe a bit more digital) but it's great that they came back to Australia to shoot this one!

The grainy, grittiness of earlier Mad Max films is certainly gone, but Miller's visual flare always delivers in spades.

George Miller filed a lawsuit against Warner Bros for $7 million he felt his production company was owed on Fury Road, not sure if that's still ongoing but I know that delayed things big time.

I assume Miller being uncompromising in general, but especially with Mad Max, would also make things more difficult than the usual Hollywood sequel train. He apparently has two Fury Road follow-ups in mind but the Furiosa prequel won out for whatever reason. Maybe it had to do with getting Hardy and Theron back. 

40 minutes ago, Andy said:

Do they understand the meaning of the word “Saga”?

a long, involved story, account, or series of incidents.

a long story of heroic achievement

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Maybe it had to do with getting Hardy and Theron back. 

Somehow I don't think the two of them would ever work together again, but I guess money talks.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

(maybe a bit more digital)

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

The grainy, grittiness of earlier Mad Max films is certainly gone,

I guess it could just be the trailer house cleaning and regrading it to fit their own ideas.

So far all the Mad Max films were distinct, they did something new every time with the world, visuals and setpieces. This just looks like Fury Road again.

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

So far all the Mad Max films were distinct, they did something new every time with the world, visuals and setpieces. This just looks like Fury Road again.

Yeah, I kind of have to put my faith in George Miller that he has something interesting to say, and a good reason for making such a direct prequel to another film. The trailer looks like more Fury Road, but I don't put much stock in trailers. As with every film that comes out, I hope it's amazing.

I honestly forgot this movie was being made, but given the way WB has gone, I also wouldn't be surprised if its release is cancelled as a tax write-off.

That really looks fantastic!

Fury Road is one of my favorite films ever, so at first I was sad that a sequel was made without Theron because she was the best thing in that film.

And I kinda still feel that way, but this just looks really good!!

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Noticed that too. Definitely looks like Fury Road 2.0, right down to the character designs.

I loved the way all 3 original Mad Max films looked totally distinct from one another.

20 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

That really looks fantastic!

Fury Road is one of my favorite films ever, so at first I was sad that a sequel was made without Theron because she was the best thing in that film.

And I kinda still feel that way, but this just looks really good!!

I'm with ya! Adore the first film (and score), and looking tremendously forward to this.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm with ya! Adore the first film (and score), and looking tremendously forward to this.

Since these days you mostly like "smaller" scores. It's a surprise to see you adore the score by Holkenborg so much.

What are your favorite aspects of the score?

30 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Since these days you mostly like "smaller" scores. It's a surprise to see you adore the score by Holkenborg so much.

What are your favorite aspects of the score?

Just the sheer, unadulterated energy. The film is not only one long car chase, it's also one long heavy metal music video, really, and the music responds to that (and as a Rammstein super fan, that warms my heart). But then also takes things down now and then, with these glorious, sweeping, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA-like cues (like "Many Mothers"). Such a visionary attitude, all in all. But the album was too long, so I've whittled it down to a 39-minute program that works like gangbusters!

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Anyone else think it's weird that it took nine years to get a followup to the megahit that was Fury Road, and it's a Furiosa spinoff? I feel like we should have already had two sequels with Hardy and Theron by now, and then it'd be prequel time

I doubt Theron is going to work with Hardy again.

New trailer looks promising. Very much looking forward to this.

OK I don't know anything about off-screen drama, but I still think its weird it took Miller 9 years to make any followup, Hardy or Taylor Joy or otherwise

I'm not sure, I'm not that interested in prequels (with a few exceptions) and I hated Junkie XL's score for the previous movie so I can only imagine he'll double down on drums and horns of doom (all 450 of them). 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

OK I don't know anything about off-screen drama, but I still think its weird it took Miller 9 years to make any followup, Hardy or Taylor Joy or otherwise

Well we live in a world where it took James Cameron 13 years to release Avatar 2 which was even more of a sure thing. 

I definitely would have expected in 2015 to have had another Mad Max before now but also it never surprises me when things do or don't happen in show business. 

8 hours ago, Thor said:

Just the sheer, unadulterated energy. The film is not only one long car chase, it's also one long heavy metal music video, really, and the music responds to that (and as a Rammstein super fan, that warms my heart). But then also takes things down now and then, with these glorious, sweeping, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA-like cues (like "Many Mothers"). Such a visionary attitude, all in all. But the album was too long, so I've whittled it down to a 39-minute program that works like gangbusters!

Would you share your program with us, Thor? This is a score where I definitely agree with whittling it down for album. :) But I do remember liking some elements of it in the film.

Yavar