TOP GUN: Limited Edition (2-CD SET) by La La Land Records

Wow, so it finally happened!

Great news, of course. It's been a holy grail of mine for years, despite excellent bootlegs. Of course, I can't currently afford it, with current shipping rates and whatnot, but I'm just glad it's finally released.

Awesome! I’ve been hoping this would eventually get the deluxe treatment. 

Ordered!

HOLY S---! I'm still laughing at the James Bond CDs that can't get a low level Madonna song but this has the whole freaking songtrack! AND Otis Redding AND The Righteous Brothers! (<-- That's a dig at Madonna, not any of the labels.)

53 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

So I guess the reason it took this long for it to be released is because they were getting the rights to the various pop songs? :lol:

Speaking of Top Gun, a Maverick expansion would be nice. The OST is terrible, and this might be Lorne Balfe's best action score.

Not to mention apparently a whole bunch of early work on the score was rejected...

1 hour ago, Faleel said:

Not to mention apparently a whole bunch of early work on the score was rejected...

I'd like to know which cues Lady Gaga wrote for the movie :lol:

From MMUK:

Gaga worked closely with Zimmer and composer Dave Fleming to turn her melody into score, so this isn’t just some vanity credit – the three of them actually sat down and wrote proper score pieces together, and so her credit is earned.

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

So I guess the reason it took this long for it to be released is because they were getting the rights to the various pop songs? :lol:

Speaking of Top Gun, a Maverick expansion would be nice. The OST is terrible, and this might be Lorne Balfe's best action score.

Lorne has promised an expanded/complete release coming out at some point ;)

Really happy with this - my holy grail track is Radar Radio, which hasn’t ever had a CD release (AFAIK), despite being the B-side of the biggest selling single from the soundtrack. The sheet music folio even had it transcribed!

It’ll be fascinating to hear the Anthem demo tracks too.

Mark

39 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

No short cues!😍😍😍😍😍😊😊😊😊😊😊

So it's a bloated mess?

Sigh.....

Will they go for the Kelly McGillis/Paramount triple and expand Witness?  It's too bad there's not enough John Morris scoring in Dirty Dancing to make a release  viable.

Here's comment from one of my Twitter mutuals: "It won’t feel authentic unless every third track is Highway to the Danger Zone".

Can't understand why, given the huge demand, this hasn't simply been released digitally long ago... I would have bought it immediately. I'm simply no longer willing to pay at least 50 € including shipping to Germany for one or two polycarbonate frisbees and then the package might end up at customs and I have to pay more and wait even longer. Anyway, after all these years, the best cues have already been unearthed in one form or another, albeit a little less... officially ;) That's quite enough for me. 

20 hours ago, Dunge_Onmaster said:

Can't understand why, given the huge demand, this hasn't simply been released digitally long ago... 

How do you know it won't be anyway?

21 hours ago, Dunge_Onmaster said:

I'm simply no longer willing to pay at least 50 € including shipping to Germany for one or two polycarbonate frisbees and then the package might end up at customs and I have to pay more and wait even longer.

On Music Box Records it’s €47.95 and no customs.

https://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-soundtracks/14267-top-gun-2-cd.html

11 minutes ago, Holko said:

+€10 shipping. 

On 02/03/2024 at 1:57 PM, Dunge_Onmaster said:

Can't understand why, given the huge demand, this hasn't simply been released digitally long ago... I would have bought it immediately. I'm simply no longer willing to pay at least 50 € including shipping to Germany for one or two polycarbonate frisbees and then the package might end up at customs and I have to pay more and wait even longer. Anyway, after all these years, the best cues have already been unearthed in one form or another, albeit a little less... officially ;) That's quite enough for me. 

I always order via the (German) Soundtrack Corner. Top Gun is €39.95 + €2.50 shipping.

Ahhh, good old LaLa Land Employee2.

image.png

It's supposed to be here Tuesday. Along with the tractor beam.

image.png

More time to listen to How to Train Your Dragon 3!

I was supposed to get mine this coming Monday but the ole USPS was speedier than their website.

Just rewatched the film now that this album is here.

In my opinion this is Faltermeyer's best score. The main theme has become of course iconic, I forget that he uses it in quite a lot of different ways.

I also forget how beautiful his theme is after Goose has died. That guitar goes straight through the heart.

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

In my opinion this is Faltermeyer's best score.

THIEF OF HEARTS is his best, IMO, but TOP GUN is probably second.

47 minutes ago, Thor said:

THIEF OF HEARTS is his best, IMO, but TOP GUN is probably second.

I was just eyeing that one from Quartet before I realized I couldn’t afford a purchase, haha

22 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

In my opinion this is Faltermeyer's best score.

Absolutely, with BEVERLY HILLS COP and THE RUNNING MAN. 

TOP GUN sounds fantastic btw.

Oh, I forgot to mention this: The liner notes give you an idea of how long this set has been ready to go. "The score's legacy also lives on: in 2020, Faltermeyer will co-score the long awaited sequel, Top Gun: Maverick, with a fellow German composer who followed in his synthesized footsteps, Hans Zimmer."

On 11/03/2024 at 1:12 AM, Tallguy said:

The only place where the album bogs down (and this is just due to the nature of ordering by film order I would suppose) is when we get three instrumentals of Take My Breath Away for almost eight minutes.

That's because the film versions of these cues have a different mix (Terri Nunn's vocal stem (aka the humming) is missing from the LLL set) and if placed in chronological order there are a few songs that breaks the continuity. I noticed that mostly the crossovers between instrumental and their vocal counterparts (ie Danger Zone/Take my breath away) are missing from the main program. And except for a specific cue in track 3 "Cougar Chased By Mig" everything of the score (film mix accuracy aside) is presented on the set. Strange call by LLL to leave out 1 particular (short) cue from otherwise a complete set (probably damaged or missing from the masters, btw nothing in the liner notes about this).

1 hour ago, StRuPiE said:

That's because the film versions of these cues have a different mix (Terri Nunn's vocal (aka the humming) is missing from the LLL set) and if placed in chronological order there are a few songs that breaks the continuity. I noticed that mostly the crossovers between instrumental and their vocal counterparts (ie Danger Zone/Take my breath away) are missing from the main program. And except for a specific cue in track 3 "Cougar Chased By Mig" everything of the score (film mix accuracy aside) is presented on the set. Strange call by LLL to leave out 1 particular (short) cue from otherwise a complete set (probably damaged or missing from the masters, btw nothing in the liner notes about this).

The biggest "failing" of the set is the liner notes. What's there is actually pretty great. But as a for instance it does mention the humming vocals for the instrumental of Take My Breath Away. But it doesn't mention that those vocals are not on the disc! So what are we listening to? And who is the market for this set if not nerds like us who want to know these things?

And except for a specific cue in track 3 "Cougar Chased By Mig"

Is that the bit that is tracked with another Faltermeyer score?

I GATHER that Dog Fight #3 is an alternate of Goose's Death. But I'm not sure if that's factual or someone's reasonable guess.

29 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Is that the bit that is tracked with another Faltermeyer score?

Oh, I haven't heard about this. It may be so but the cue used in the movie (at least) sounds very TG drone-ish so definitely interesting if it's tracked from another movie. Anyone with more details on this?

29 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I GATHER that Dog Fight #3 is an alternate of Goose's Death. But I'm not sure if that's factual or someone's reasonable guess.

Exactly. It's a trimmed down version (with different mix) of the cue.

3 minutes ago, StRuPiE said:

Oh, I haven't heard about this. It may be so but the cue used in the movie (at least) sounds very TG drone-ish so definitely interesting if it's tracked from another movie. Anyone with more details on this?

I think someone said it was from Thief of Hearts (that I am not familiar with).

My copy arrived today having spent the best part of a week at UK Customs.  Really wish they'd put a note in the liner notes to give us the chronological sequence - trying to remember/guess where songs appeared in relation to track names is a bit hit and miss - even with the helpful Charlie Brigden cue breakdown from 2010.

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I think someone said it was from Thief of Hearts (that I am not familiar with).

I checked the Quartet 2023 release and you're absolutely right. It uses an edit of "Final Confrontation". Thanks so much!