Jerry Goldsmith 1929 - 2004

Morlock

By Associated Press

July 22, 2004, 4:51 AM EDT

LOS ANGELES -- Academy Award-winning composer Jerry Goldsmith, who scored hundreds of movies and TV shows ranging from "Patton" and "Planet of the Apes" to "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.," has died.

He was 75.

Goldsmith died in his sleep last night at his Beverly Hills home after a long battle with cancer, according to his personal assistant.

Goldsmith was a classically trained composer and conductor who began musical studies at the age of 6 but his Hollywood career spanned nearly half a century.

He won a 1976 Academy Award for best original score for "The Omen" and also held five Emmys.

His music can be heard in everything from the action film "Totall Recall" to comedies, epics and dramas.

He wrote the themes for television shows, including "Doctor Kildare" and "Barnaby Jones."

Goldsmith also wrote a fanfare that is used in Academy Awards telecasts.

Jerry Goldsmith, dead at 75.

Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press

I feel emptied all of a sudden.

Anything else I'd say could not possibly express my saddness :cry:

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A sad day indeed. :cry:

Thank you for the music Jerry. I think I'll go and listen to some of your music now as a tribute to you.

Wholly unexpected. I didn't realise he had cancer. I'm not usually schmaltzy on these threads, but this indeed very sad.

The sorrow I'm feeling right now, quite frankly, has got me worried about future sadness, if you know what I mean... :cry:

RIPJG75//

goldsmithpic00s.jpg

My sincere condolences to Mr Goldsmith's family.

It may appear despairingly fanboyish to mourn the death of someone you didn't know personally, but in the case of artists, and especially musicians, you do get to develop a certain special relation of some sort with the composer through his work, and are thus affected by their death.

I have been listening to film music for 22 years now. Goldsmith's Gremlins was my second score ever (after Williams' E.T.. I was 10.

I have always listened to film music, almost every day, if not playing a CD on a player, then humming it or hearing it in my mind; reading, working, daydreaming, on special events, to lift my spirits or build up courage before and during competitive exams, ...-- all the time.

Jerry Goldsmith grew to be my favorite composer and his music has thus always been a major component of my life, and will always be. Pardon my waxing melodramatic.

I am glad I was able to attend one of his concerts (Royal Albert Hall, June 28, 2001). He seemed every bit the gentleman everyone has always said him to be, indeed. I hope I can attend more concerts, by other composers whose work I love, such as John Williams, or Bruce Broughton.

Jerry Goldsmith's last score will thus have been Looney Tunes, the product of one the most fruitful director-composer relationships. I often noted in my messages on this score how incredibly energetic it was; the music is highly kinetic and inventive, and richly orchestrated-- a lot more than many a new score these days can boast; it proved Goldsmith hadn't "lost it", that he was still at the top; all he needed was an inspiring film. And yet, many many times throughout his career, he proved his value as a great composer writing the best music regardless of the quality or his poor opinion of the movie.

I hope film music labels can get access to more of his and other composers' works, to preserve their legacy.

Farewell, Mr. Goldsmith, and thank you for your wonderful music.

:music: livier

np: Jerry Goldsmith's music, as always

Not really a surprise after the rumours concerning his health for the last months, but still a tragedy.

Goldsmith was one of my favourite composers (on the same level as John Williams - I even named my cat after him) ever since I watched The Great Train Robbery. There are many scores by him I call favourites (and many others I still like a lot), but if I had to single out one, it would probably The Final Conflict.

And last but not least, thanks to Goldsmith and his LSO concerts, I actually met some of the members of the various message boards in London, at the concerts in 2001 and 2003 (and, most recently, 2004, but unfortunately Goldsmith was already too ill to conduct).

Marian - :cry:

I didn't know he was battling with cancer either. It's a sad day in filmmusic. I also find it sad that the actual news title is "Oscar-Winning composer dies", reminding us how unfair the Academy was with this talented man. Rise, Maestro, to the theme of The Edge.

Charles

It's ironic to think that last night I watched THE OMEN on Sky Cinema 2 and this morning to read on the net that one of Hollywoods greatest assets is dead.

I was most disheartened by this sad news. I will fondly remember the concert Jerry gave with the LSO at the Royal Albert Hall back in June 2001 which was accompanied by Stefan and where we both had front seats just below the podium. That I will cherish together with the other concerts I attended (3 in total that I attended).

Thanks for your wonderful music, Jerry.

May you conduct the Orchestra of Angels in Heaven surrounded by rest of your fellow composers.

Hitch, :cry: heartbroken at the news of Jerry's passing and will raise a glass tonight in his honour.

:music: End Credits of POWDER followed by the theme from THE LAST CASTLE

Dear Mr. Goldsmith,

I can't say how sad I feel that you are not with us anymore.

Your music was always a great inspiration for me personally and for my own tryings in writing music. Since I listen to Filmmusic, there were these two giants: John Williams and You!

I dreamed about a day where I could see the both of you together on the stage.

You will be remembered.

Thank you for all !

:cry:

:music: "The Wind and the Lion"

Goldsmith's passing nearly closes the book on the gateway between the Golden Age of filmmusic to today's. He will be missed, and leaves behind a gap that may never be filled again. As Jonathan Frakes once said, "There's John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, and then there's everyone else."

We will always have his music, so in a way, that is bittersweet. Some of us would prefer if he were still among us.

Like I posted on FSM, I have this wonderful image of a montage of Jerry pictures to his magical 'Kick the Can'.

The first time I became aware of Goldsmith's music was Air Force One. And although I shamefully admit that I dismissed him for a while, I finally wisened up and I've been loving him more with each piece of music I've been hearing.

The image I'm left with is Jerry with his warm smile looking down at us all. I suggest you all check out the main page at jerrygoldsmithonline.com. Such a wonderful way to remember a human being.

I send my condolances to his family, and to his fans.

And Neil, I can't say I can fully fathom how much he meant to you. But I know how much he meant to me- I've only been a huge fan for a few months, and I feel like my grandfather who's also a great friend died.

Such a vivacious, warm, amazing man. He'll always be immortal in my eyes.

I have no words...

I've been collecting Jerry Goldsmith's albums since I was a kid. This week has been a real Goldsmith kick for me, listening to his Star Trek scores, and I just bought "Sleeping With the Enemy," which is surprisingly fantasy-like as a listening experience. He was one of the very few composers who has been a model for my own composing. I can't believe he's gone, but I will always try to harness his wisdom, wit and emotion in the craft of film composing.

We loved you Jerry Goldsmith!

-Jesse

I'm in deep shock. I was fan of several Goldsmith scores and his legacy of film music nowadays is probably second only to John Williams. Even yesterday I was browsing e-bay trying to find a few bargains on Goldsmith scores, and today I wake up, I read the main page... it is a very sad indeed. Too sad...

Through his music, he will never leave us.

Thank you for your music.

"If our music survives, which I have no doubt it will,

then it will because it is good."

- Jerry Goldsmith

NP: The Enterprise - Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Justin

Too sad this had to happen. Although I admire Jerry for as long as I can remember, I somehow never listen much Goldsmith, but yesterday I listened to his "Fireworks" (could it have been the exact moment he passed away?) and was again very impressed. Not only has the film music community lost one of its greatest members, the whole film world also lost one of its most talented contributers.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Coming to the main page this morning and seeing the headline put a big lump in my throat, an empty feeling in my stomach and tears started to well up.

Jerry's music was always up there w/ JW, just his own style. I have loved JG ever since I 'found' him on Star Trek V. This is a great loss to all of his fans as well as those who watch movies.

R.I.P. Jerry Goldsmith

Thank you Mr. Goldsmith for all of the wonderful music you gave us, may you rest in peace.

My condolences go out to his family and friends.

A very sad day for film music fans.

I always held Goldsmith right with Williams and hearing this (first from Morn) tears me apart

I can only imagine what the Goldsmith fan site is going through right now

RIP Jerry Goldsmith

:music: Patton German March

I'm in the same mood as everyone else on this board. Saddened and shocked mostly. And I don't think it's fanboyish to feel the loss of Goldsmith. A lot of us here grew up listening to his music and knew him through that medium. A composer's music is a personal extension of themselves and those who listen to their music get a bit of an understanding of that person. We'll all miss Goldsmith and his amazing musical imagination. He was a master at his craft.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family on this sad day.

This news was a shock to wake up to. Goodbye, Mr. Goldsmith, you will be missed but your music will live, forever bringing us joy and inspiration.

Jeff - listening to Poltergeist

Last edited by Hitch on Jul 22, 2004 - 10:20 PM; edited 3 times in total

Nice you added that photo, Hitch...one of the best Goldsmith photos I know.

Marian - remembering that concert.

:music: Supergirl, from that very concert

Unbelievable. :music:

I had heard about the health concerns, but still just didn't expect this. Thankyou for Star Trek, Alien, Legend, Patton, The Omen, Planet of the Apes, Poltergeist and far too many other greats to possibly list. My sympathies for those closest to him.

To Jerry, a part of you will always be with us.

I heard the news on the radio today.

From that moment a wonderfull sunny day turned sour.

Like Marian said, it was not much of a surprise.

A pity he was not granted to have the same lenth of life that his father enjoyed.

We can be glad that he left us such a large and diverse body of film music.

We can be glad that he left us The Enterprise.

Rest in peace Jerry, i'll never forget seeing you, and i'll hear you though your music for many years to come.

Stefan Cosman.

Wasn't Timeline the last score that he completed? If so, it's such an unfortunate end to an incredible career... To finish on a rejected score. :cry:

Not much I can say that hasn't already been said. I knew he was sick, but this is a true shock. I'm stunned and very sad.

Star Trek: TMP has always and probably always will be my favorite non-Williams score ever. His brilliance will live on forever.

Marian, nice new avatar my friend. Let us celebrate his life as we mourn his passing.

John

I was a bit startled when I read the news here.

Didn't know his music too well, but I've always enjoyed the few bits I've heard of Gremlins and Poltergeist.

Sigh.

Wasn't Timeline the last score that he completed? If so, it's such an unfortunate end to an incredible career... To finish on a rejected score.  :cry:

He did Looney Tunes - Back in Action after Timeline.

Neil

So sad :cry:

Although he?s gone, it?s still comforting to know that his work can forever be enjoyed by his fans and I?m sure gain new admirers as time goes on.

He will be greatly missed.

When I was a kid I used to tape Main Titles and end credit suites off tv and movies all the time long before I even knew they released this stuff to the public. I never even knew who wrote the music at the time (I never saw the credit because I was focused on getting the best recording with my little tape player I could)

Now Years later I now know that 90 percent of these recordings were from 2 people... John Williams (of course) and Jerry Goldsmith.

We have lost someone who has, I'm sure, had an impact on just about all of us here. before I even knew who he was Mr. Goldsmith was putting a huge smile on my face and as I'm sure with many film music fans yet to come he will do the same thing.

Even though we may not have known the man we know his music and for that we will remember the man always.

Brian99_1

For those who don't collect soundtracks or DVDs, he'll still at least live on through the Universal Pictures logo music. For the next year, hearing it will take on an unusual poignancy. Good-bye, Mr Goldsmith, and God bless you.

My condolences to his friends, family, and steadfast fans. I've barely scraped the surface of his music, but the little I have is truly masterful. I look forward to delving into his vast repertoire. R.I.P

Ray Barnsbury

It's quite eerie that this morning I woke up with a powerful desire to listen to "The Omen" on the way to work.

About an hour later, I figured out why.

A sad day. He left behind a great legacy in film music.

Jeff

And yesterday at work I spent all the time when no calls were coming in searching the web for Goldsmith stuff. AND I watched the documentry of him again. I gotta watch that again in tribute to him.

I listened to Masada on my break today in memorium, and I get a shudder every time I use my phone name, which is Jerry (as it has been for the past few weeks).

And it makes me really happy that the only memories I have from the man are positive (not talking about the music). As a matter of fact, aside from him yelling at Jeff Bond, which I crack up at everytime I read about, I can't think of a single image of him not smiling or in a positive mood.

There isn't much more to say to all the deeply felt and sincere words you already wrote here.

I am as much touched and mourned as all of you. I always admired and loved Jerry's music. And I also had the pleasure to see him twice conducting his music, both times in London with the LSO.

He was a true master, who brought film music to the level of art.

Thank you, Jerry, for all of your precious gifts. Thank you.

Farewell, Maestro.

A great man has passed away... :cry: perhaps the most intriguing and energetic film music composer I've ever listened to.

May we never forget his music, and remember him as one of the most prolific and intense film music composer.

PhilippeBL :music:

(who would have wanted to listen to Capricorn One or Massada today but can't)