Thor

The Force Awakens SCORE Discussion (Film Spoilers Allowed)

it doesnt sound beter than TPMs.

but Yes, preferable than having a reused recording

But it sounds like Shadows of the empire, Star wars trilogy, prague, boston pops and many other performances not by the LSO. The brass is not the same.

20 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

No I don't. Please enlighten me.

Oh come on man ...the 'enlighten me' challenge, really? I'll give that a miss thanks.

Well if you prefer Ron Jeremy to Lex Steele, that's your prerogative.

10 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

After seeing the film again today, I have decided that the tracking in of "Burning Homestead" was a very bad decision artistically.  A lot of fans seem to like it, but to me, it almost seemed like self parody.  It reminded me of when Tarantino used old Morricone scores in Kill Bill, in which part of the humor is how out of place the music is, played for irony.  I don't think that is the experience the film makers wanted to create, but that bit of tracked music is sorely out of place with the rest of Williams' writing.  Even the recording quality, under all the sound effects, sounds starkly different from the rest of the score.  It hugely took me out of that moment of the film.

I agree, that's exactly what it felt like! Totally inappropriate ...it felt like a quick poke in the eye and completely pulled me out of the moment.

Maybe I overestimate how popular that version is among SW fans but in my opinion at that point in the movie her character felt undeserving of that particular variation.

I'm sure we all have different interpretations of that cue but whatever JJ was going for by tracking it in didn't work at all for me.

7 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Sorry if this has been already posted somewhere else, but I think it's pretty interesting stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlWC2KWtjJc

Yeah, it's great ...it's from here in case you're interested -

http://vi-control.net/community/threads/nerd-alert-is-john-williams-spoiling-things-in-tfa-soundtrack.50679/

Ivan is a good friend and also a great composer in his own right.

I didn't have a problem with the "Burning Homestead" cue at all. It was a great nostalgic moment for me.  I was happy that the score finally gave us something familiar other than the Rebel fanfares. 

I paid specific attention to the music in that scene when I saw the movie for the second time (Saturday), and I was happy enough with that scoring/tracking.

I also think it's pretty clear that Rey is Skywalker offspring of some sort (cousin or younger sister to Kylo).  Han definitely knows more about Rey than we've seen, and Kylo Ren seems to as well.  There was a time after Episode I and even Episode II when Internet People(TM) swore that Senator Palpatine would not become the Emperor, and that there must be some sort of twist.  I think after this trilogy is completed, just like the grasping-at-straws Palpatine thing, we'll look back and see Rey's lineage as a natural plot development and not some sort of grand revelation.

11 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

To me, it doesn't necessarily means she's Vader's granddaughter, rather a hint that she could turn to the Dark Side in Episode VIII/IX.

Sure. What I find interesting and once again revealing is how Williams really thinks as a true composer and how he is always able to translate narrative/dramatic concepts into pure musical ideas that make total sense and fit perfectly into the overall thematic vocabulary of the series. In this sense, this score is really a continuation of what he did in the previous six films. He picked up the pencil where he left it in 2005 and added another beautiful paragraph.

It's this kind of musical thought he always uses that puts him way above any other contemporary film composer.

13 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

I mean, I understand why, but it was a cheap move and betrayed the tone of the film.  I think it will satisfy hyped fanboys on first viewing, but I think it will date badly, which is a concern, given the timeless quality of the original trilogy.  At least when the prequels used tracked music, they pulled from their own trilogy, so it didn't sound completely out of place.

Are we forgetting that the OT had tracking between films as well? I'll grant you that there wasn't a 40 year gap between when the music was recorded and when it ended up getting re-used, but it was still there and I don't feel it makes the films any less "timeless."

5 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Anybody also thinking that when JJ listened to the new recording of the main title he should have siad , sorry John, William ross has to go to london and record this with the LSO.

The main score is OK, but the main title is so 'pedestrian'...

The raiders march in KOTCS sounded really good with the same orchestra...i dont know what happened here.

That's funny, I'm the opposite. Don't like the KOTCS Raiders March much. LOVE the new recording of the Star Wars Main Title!

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Stumbled across this

It really demonstrates the complexity of JW's writing

The Falcon is in TFA.  Damn, I really need to avoid these spoiler threads.

And, yes, the Williams piece is very good.  

4 hours ago, Alex said:

Stumbled across this

It really demonstrates the complexity of JW's writing

Good lord. I hope this was made from a score reduction, because if that guy or gal has ears good enough to transcribe that AND the chops to play it... I need to be buying their records.