Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

If Zimmer produces another two note pulsating "theme" for my childhood hero I will be getting a flight to wherever he is, hunt him down then rip his eyes our and piss on his brain.

If Zimmer produces another two note pulsating "theme" for my childhood hero I will be getting a flight to wherever he is, hunt him down then rip his eyes our and piss on his brain.

Please buy two tickets, so I can watch and laugh while you do it.

Zimmer doesn't deserve his own Superman thread!

why do I not care about this like Harry Potter?

Because you've been waiting for Superman movie with JW's music in it for years and when you got to actually see it it didn't do much for you. I guess, you just moved on.

Karol

If they want to reboot the Superman franchise and lose the Richard Donner feel, one of the best things they can do is drop the John Williams music. It's the same decision both live-action Superman TV series made since then.

Hans Zimmer isn't necessarily the best option to write new themes (or blatantly primitive pre/pseuo-themes), but what will be will be.

If they want to reboot the Superman franchise and lose the Richard Donner feel, one of the best things they can do is drop the John Williams music. It's the same decision both live-action Superman TV series made since then.

Hans Zimmer isn't necessarily the best option to write new themes (or blatantly primitive pre/pseuo-themes), but what will be will be.

The lois and clark theme was very williamsy.

And smallville had one or two cameos of williams music, didnt it?

The new direction does not seem to go 'in that direction'

I think I know better than everyone else what the music should sound like, despite the fact there's no script or scenes or movie to speak of yet....

;)

I think The Simpsons Movie demonstrates that Zimmer can write in a brighter style that would be needed for a Superman film.

But I will remain with my highly pessimistic view of this place: Doesn't matter what he writes. He doesn't stand a chance in hell around here.

2) Snyder actually had a Williams-like music in his latesta animated Owl film. It was pretty old fashined. The Lisa Gerrard stuff is not a part of the score. Here is some bit:

Yes, but this time, he has Hans Zimmer.

So this is what's going to end the world in 2012.

Superman, completely irritated by the music surrounding him, won't be able to stop turning the world, so we'll all be turned to cavemen.

:P

Isn't there a Spider-Man reboot planned too?

Maybe he can do two for Batman, two for Superman, and two for Spidey.

That should earn him "legend" status.

Is there already news on the actor who is going to play Superman? I think Ashton Kutcher would be great. He could do this kind of Kent-ish sillyness and be a convincing Superman as well.

Is there already news on the actor who is going to play Superman? I think Ashton Kutcher would be great. He could do this kind of Kent-ish sillyness and be a convincing Superman as well.

Not good? :s

I think The Simpsons Movie demonstrates that Zimmer can write in a brighter style that would be needed for a Superman film.

But I will remain with my highly pessimistic view of this place: Doesn't matter what he writes. He doesn't stand a chance in hell around here.

That's because he sucks ass.

:)

Not good? :s

:thumbup:

Oh wait, you're serious...

I think Armie Hammer was considered for the role the last time I checked.

Hi, I did not find any topic about this new. Hanz Zimmer will score new Superman movie and there will not be our beloved iconic theme. Do you prefer completly new score or you like new score with well known themes :lol:?

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/movie-news/williams-superman-score-dropped-hans-zimmer-composes-snyders-reboot.php

There is nothing wrong about a completely new score. It must be very hard for a composer to come even close to what Williams achieved for the original superman score. But please not

Hans Zimmer! I dont understand how he became so big out there in Hollywood. His music is nothing special to me. It even bores me somehow. I am just honest about my point of view.

Fifty years from now and Zimmer wound'nt even be half as good as Williams is! Wish that someone else could do the job... :lol:

Why Zimmer is popular in the industry, that is certainly no mystery. He can do adequate music quick, and he's a cash cow. Case closed.

Like so many before, relationships with certain people help.

He also has a signature sound and revolutionised parts of film scoring.

So the popularity is no secret.

However, what remains a secret is why people perceive this tosh as sophisticated, and, on top of that, why Zimmer gets a star on the walk of fame before Williams (or any other composer of your choice).

Oooh! Zimmer scoring Superman! Another great opportunity for you all to get your panties in a bunch!

Yay! ;)

Fifty years from now and Zimmer wound'nt even be half as good as Williams is! Wish that someone else could do the job...

You can't predict fifty years from now any more than you can format a post.

Why Zimmer is popular in the industry, that is certainly no mystery. He can do adequate music quick, and he's a cash cow. Case closed.

gkgyver speaks sense.

Anyways, what makes me laugh, time and time again, composer after composer, is the predictable passing verdict on ____________ before even hearing a single note of it. Whatever happened to "Try it, you just might like it!" This applies just as much to news of Desplat scoring Potter to Zimmer possibly scoring Superman.

Rather closed minded if I do say so. But then that's probably why most of you have so much time to post here and get so shocked and offended over a potentially different approach to a dead franchise. ;)

So the popularity is no secret.

However, what remains a secret is why people perceive this tosh as sophisticated, and, on top of that, why Zimmer gets a star on the walk of fame before Williams (or any other composer of your choice).

Considering money is the last thing he cares about, that statement is very false. I also don't think any of us here think his music is sophisticated. That's definitely not the right word. He's simple and through that simplicity very effective emotionally and viscerally. That's why he's so popular, because he can evoke great emotion through very simple themes.

Does he actually have a star on the walk of fame?

why Zimmer gets a star on the walk of fame before Williams (or any other composer of your choice).

Ah yes, the ever important 3'x3' slab of composite rock that separates the men from the boys. ;)

Clearly, Williams doesn't have big enough cajones.

New movie, new score. Zimmer didn't quote Elfman or Goldenthal for BATMAN, so there's no reason to quote Williams for SUPERMAN.

Say what you want, but he comes across as a really nice guy. I specially love this quote:

Zimmer: Right! John Williams, the greatest living composer -- full stop.

I believe she also worked for Williams too. That's why probably she could ask for such thing. However, I think Johnny didn't make it to the deadline, as the service has been already done. Maybe he scrapped it or he's going to perform it on the near future, who knows...

And just watch how the thread turns into a praising of Zimmer for respecting Williams. Some fans will even want him to score it after all! :)

Those of you who are barking at Ottman's score hold Williams' original music way to close to you. I thought Ottman did a fine job with the score for Superman Returns. He also does music a hell of a lot better than Zimmer ever could.

Those of you who are barking at Ottman's score hold Williams' original music way to close to you. I thought Ottman did a fine job with the score for Superman Returns.

Trent, while I can only speak for myself, well ...and perhaps a handful of others with whom I've spoken to about this is that the 'problem' in SR musically is that you can't just slap in the thematic material we're familiar with and expect it to work, even if they're wonderful themes.

With Williams' Superman there is almost always a wonderful sense of preparation and resolution that ties the thematic material together and I personally never got that from SR but I'd probably put the blame on the director for that more than anything.

An obvious example would be when you have something like The Planet Krypton and then later The Fortress Of Solitude, the wonderful sense of musical rebirth, to me, is shatteringly beautiful because of how we were prepared for it at the start of the movie.

The Helicopter Rescue is another that works so well emotionally because of how we're thematically prepared for it. Had Williams just plonked in the fanfare and theme, it probably would of been cool but certainly wouldn't of hit people deep iside the way it does today even 30 years after.

So I guess my point is that, for those of us who love Williams' Superman are just used to hearing the thematic material tied together in a more organic way than we felt it was treated in SR and not necessarily the music itself.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons that SR didn't work as well for some compared to the Williams version but for those less familiar with Williams' version, it obviously isn't as much as a problem or isn't a problem at all.

As you can see, this is only a reaction to the usage of Williams' material and not Ottman's original score for the movie.

The Love Theme issues are another thing all together, which is for another time.

We get along and I know you really like SR, so I've only written the above to try and explain from my point of view at least, why SR didn't work for me.