John Powell kicks ass

Morlock

to me, the first film's story/tone doesn't make sense without the cartoon design.

Toothless may be... a bit too obviously catlike, but i feel like i'm splitting hairs by that point. it's not like it doesn't work. His head shape reminds me of some groups of snakes... elapids, viperids, i like that.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've only seen parts of the first film. I hate the dragon designs. Almost as bad as the dino designs in The Good Dinosaur.

Actually, that's one of the few parts of the HTTYD movies that I do somewhat dislike, particularly the chunky ones with stumpy wings that don't look like they could fly. I appreciate some suspension of disbelief is required for movies of this type, but I rather think the film makers have to take you far enough to be able to suspend your disbelief and that's one area which doesn't work for me. To that end, whatever one's feelings on the actual look, Toothless does at least have something approaching a plausible body to wing ratio. It'll be in interesting to see how much (if at all) the dragons are redesigned for live action. As we've discovered with the many Disney remakes featuring "realistic" animals, what looks cute in animated doesn't always work in live action/realistic.

But yeah, the scores are a fucking marvel and JP needs to write maybe just a smidgeon more music... some new concert works would be great, his Prussian Requiem is terrific.

8 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

"Let's kick Hans Zimmer's Ass"

That'd be much easier to do than for Powell :whistle:

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I prefer Toothless. 

25 minutes ago, LSH said:

image.jpeg

I googled “Dragon Lady”. You don’t want to do that. 

These two have got to be Powell's most underrated action cues ever. 10 minutes of him kicking ass and reaching unbelieavable levels of intensity!

But why this score only seems to exist in bootlegs (and this one on YT has particularly shitty sound quality)? Music this good that hasn't been officially released yet? Geez...

Huh.

Still, this score should be released on streaming services, or at least re-issued by Intrada. It's a fun score that deserves to be more known among Powell fans, and the two tracks I posted above are incredible.

• 3 weeks later...

So just now I stumbled across this meme reel from Instagram

(here is the short YT version)

https://youtube.com/shorts/-oWTh--ohBQ?feature=share

^^ As we know, The Lorax's songs has become a meme sensation in IG/TikTok.

The random-ness of it, really, that what made it funny 😂

It's both a good thing (as people got to hear Powell's songs, which is honestly not his strongest suit) and quite a shame

Anyway, like heard in the YT shorts above,

I was then realized how good Powell's orchestration in that song is, you can hear the instrumental version of that particular moment here:

In fact, I always adore John Powell's arrangement of existing songs.

Here are the best example:

From Mrs & Mrs Smith:

From Happy Feet:

From this moment onwards (particularly the moment at 3:26)

From Rio 2,

well this particular track can be categorized as score, but still, it's included in the song soundtrack album.

From this moment until the end:

^^

In fact, this particular track, for me is one of the highlight of the score

There is really something about Powell violin writing that is so addictive.

That "rising" 😍

Do you have other examples that perhaps I missed here?

On 08/06/2023 at 9:42 PM, mstrox said:

i’ve never heard HGW’s Sinbad, and I’ll say that from what I have heard, and it’s been a decent amount, I’ve never been particularly interested in a single thing from HGW solo. I

I feel much the same about his solo output, but Sinbad is the exception. If you don’t listen to it I'll buy it for you!

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If you don’t listen to it I'll buy it for you!

That’s very kind of you, JS! (not joking)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

John Powell has revealed via an instagram story that he has multiple animation film scores forthcoming:

Back to animation after a quick 5-year break.  More animated films coming up!

https://www.instagram.com/stories/johnj_powell/3240294137553844056/

image.png

There are rumours that they will make a live action of The Prince of Egypt. I hope Hans Zimmer will do the music again, but I was thinking; wouldn't it be great if he brought John Powell as a second composer (he was an additional composer on songs from the original movie). But I guess I'm just dreaming now haha. It'd be fun to see a Zimmer x Powell reunion (after Kung Fu Panda) ! 🙂

If he is in fact attached to KFP 4, I wonder if it'll be "just him" or him and Zimmer. One of the reasons that I never warmed up to the other Panda scores is because they're a case of too many cooks in a kitchen and so it sounds rather disjointed.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

If he is in fact attached to KFP 4, I wonder if it'll be "just him" or him and Zimmer. One of the reasons that I never warmed up to the other Panda scores is because they're a case of too many cooks in a kitchen and so it sounds rather disjointed.

I love KFP 1 & 2. It’s just KFP 3 that felt uninspired to me, possibly because that’s the one that Powell didn’t work on.