The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Clues are up

We're doing things a little differently this time around. A single clue that applies to both of the CD Club titles we're announcing on Friday! Let's see if you folks can crack these ones.

image.jpeg

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/posts/pfbid0TxPQo21KfFFVtc3jXKqYsktg29J4hwuB2RqQhG9BxMqu4pNT3cdTCpKpe9Tfueqfl

Skyfall?

Once again: if Varese didn't do the OST, they're probably not deluxifying it.

Annoyingly I won't be at home when these are announced, as it's the first batch in a little while that I'm excited for following the clues. If one is Ice Age, that's a Christmas present sorted.

And no, Presto music haven't got any 'clues'.

Ice Age would be really great, it's a really fun score and if it's the first step to the Powell's score (even though they're post 2005) I will buy it in a heart beep

I maintain Brainstorm is coming (one clue like this one leads to a great brainstorming)

Varese has done Deluxe Editions of other post-2005 Powell scores… were those non-AFM while his Ice Age scores are all AFM? A Newman Ice Age expansion followed by three Powell Ice Age expansions would be really cool. I have leaked versions of some of the complete Powell Ice Age scores and they play fantastic in complete form. It would be nice to be able to buy an official edition.

Yavar

25 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Varese has done Deluxe Editions of other post-2005 Powell scores…

The How To Train Your Dragon scores were all recorded in London.

The other Powell Varese Deluxes were just Bourne Identity from 2002 and Paycheck from 2003

I wondered if there were any clues regarding which studios they were working with lately, but every single title this year has been a different studio:

Time Machine: WB

City Hall: Sony/Columbia

Mouse Hunt: Dreamworks

April Fool's Day: Paramount

Blood Simple: (independent)

Ice Age is Fox, Pleasantville is New Line Cinema. I'm not personally convinced the latter is missing tons of music - I've seen the film and heard bits of its iso score. Hence I really hope it's the former to nicely bookend the year for me :) 

If it's not two Newmans, we're evidently in for a total surprise for the other one. But given it's 'Newman Street' it could be a clever way of indicating a street of Newmans, i.e. two Newman scores.

I don’t think any other film music specialty label arranged to regularly get perpetuity rights from *any* studio. Silva Screen has Legend in perpetuity and I think Intrada has a few scores in perp like Tombstone and maybe Inchon… but it’s rare. With Varese it was rare for them to NOT get perpetuity rights on something in the 90s. They had a lot more clout. So I think they are in a fairly unique position with WB now which is why they’ve been able to keep expanding WB scores when the last WB expansion from LLL or Intrada was over three years ago, back in 2020.

Yavar

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

jen-it-crowd.gif

(if anyone's never seen the IT Crowd, please watch this clip and all will make sense)

I keep meaning to watch this show. 

On 29/11/2023 at 12:26 PM, Edmilson said:

I'd love expansions for Lemony Snicket

On 29/11/2023 at 12:28 PM, Jay said:

Lemony Snicket is a Paramount film with Sony Music music rights, so any label could expand it

Oh my god. PLEASE. This would make my year. 

My predictions: one of Alfred's older scores, and Ice Age. One old, one newer.

We find out in just over 3 hours! I think AF1 and Pleasantville are equally plausible alternatives, but that's what I'm going with.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

What if its one Newman score, and JNH's Signs?  The image clue would be appropriate.

Someone guessed Signs for a past Varese batch clue too, because a sign was involved. I think that's maybe just too generic... and Varese also didn't release the original album (yeah yeah I know about HTTYD2 &3, but Varese released the album for the original HTTYD so there is at least a franchise connection there). Hollywood Records released the original album because the film was produced by Disney, so I think any expansion of Signs would be Intrada territory. The only two JNH/Shyamalan collaborations released by Varese (and likely controlled by them in perpetuity) are The Sixth Sense and The Happening. I would of course buy expansions of either, but especially the latter which I think it brilliant and rather underrated/overlooked.

Yavar

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I found the missing music tapes to a 1970's movie"?

Not any 1970s movie, a 1970s movie forgotten by pretty much anyone who isn't a John Williams completist or a Gothic horror diehard - i.e. as far from being something "cool" that you could use as a pick up line.

Harry Potter is still "cool" with the ladies, especially those born after 1990, lots of them grew up with the series. 

But trying to use their HP fandom to impress them by connecting it with a forgotten 70s Dracula seems so desperate :lol:

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Not any 1970s movie, a 1970s movie forgotten by pretty much anyone who isn't a John Williams completist or a Gothic horror diehard - i.e. as far from being something "cool" that you could use as a pick up line.

Harry Potter is still "cool" with the ladies, especially those born after 1990, lots of them grew up with the series. 

But trying to use their HP fandom to impress them by connecting it with a forgotten 70s Dracula seems so desperate :lol:

I know a few women / girls who are huge Harry Potter fans. And none of them know why I keep going about about this 90 year old film composer.

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently Varese uploaded a bunch of Powell scores OST's to YouTube yesterday.

Vinyl?

7 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Which ones are new?

Horton and Itialian Job apparently

And Knight and Day I guess...

Surprising amount they've uploaded considering they'd probably prefer people bought them. But they know best which albums are their primary revenue sources now, so they can put up what they want in the name of PR.

I know but I thought it was largely the bigger labels that did it. For some reason I wouldn't have expected a relatively small label like Varese to do it. At least they haven't put anything recent and still in print up (i.e. key current revenue generators).

It’s not about how many releases they currently put out, compared with Intrada or LLL.

Varese has been Universal Music-distributed for decades, and a sub-label of Concord Music for over a decade now.

Yavar

3 hours ago, Presto said:

It says 13 hours ago with no views here:

Who’s Morton?

IMG_9987.jpeg

Seth Rogen, got it.