What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

29 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Hollow Man (2000)

Silly but somewhat entertaining thriller about an arrogant scientist who becomes invisible. Goldsmith's score is pretty good. 

Indeed. ISABELLE COMES BACK is fantastic, and is my favourite cue in the film.

Willow (1988)

I finally watched this 80s classic.

The cinematography, set design and costumes are all top notch. The pratical effects are great, considering this movie is from the late 80s. It's a very beautiful movie to look at. James Horner's score (the main reason I watched this film) is wonderful, and now I want the expansion sooner than ever!

That said, the movie's pacing is all over the place. The first half is too slow and the second is too frenetic, which is what keeps the movie from being great.

Anyway, since I was born in the 90s, I haven't watched these classic fantasy movies from the 80s, and that's something I intend to correct. 

On 14/01/2022 at 7:33 AM, Edmilson said:

Hollow Man (2000)

Silly but somewhat entertaining thriller about an arrogant scientist who becomes invisible. Goldsmith's score is pretty good. 

I dimly remember this one. I do remember that it had one of the worst false endings ever. And Goldsmith didn't help. Compared to Aliens (say) where the music gets soft and gentle and feels like it has some resolution and the characters are actually wrapping things up and BAM! Hollow Man felt like the end of a Billy Joel concert where he's left the stage and everyone is still cheering but the lights are still off and he hasn't sung Piano Man yet. Just get on with it!

This is a pet peeve of mine and for some reason Hollow Man is one of the worst offenders to me.

I just rewatched Psycho II and well, it was better than in my souvenirs.

And now that I know Goldsmith and I appreciate his music, it adds another perspective to the movie.

Nice old classic movie to rewatch from time to time!

The Sisters Brothers - Western with Joaquin Phoenix and John C Reilly as the titular gunslingin' siblings on the trail of a prospector (Riz Ahmed) in order to extract the method he has devised for making panning for gold much easier from him on behalf of their boss 'The Commodore' (Rutger Hauer).

Pretty good ... mostly everything you'd expect from the genre (shootouts, boozing, saloons/whorehouses, spectacular landscapes etc) is in there, plus little touches like Reilly being tickled by the first indoor flushing toilet he's ever encountered.

On 15/01/2022 at 4:56 PM, Tallguy said:

I dimly remember this one. I do remember that it had one of the worst false endings ever. And Goldsmith didn't help. Compared to Aliens (say) where the music gets soft and gentle and feels like it has some resolution and the characters are actually wrapping things up and BAM! Hollow Man felt like the end of a Billy Joel concert where he's left the stage and everyone is still cheering but the lights are still off and he hasn't sung Piano Man yet. Just get on with it!

What are you talking about? 

Honestly, i never tire of watching Michael Gough playing demented scientists. He's delivering dead-pan instructions to a man in a bad gorilla suit looking back at him, constantly hisses evil threats towards future victims, shoots a cat, and no Oscar nomination was forthcoming. Buggers!

Love the frame cut, as Konga smashes the house.

Gough did a good turn as "the mad scientist". He did something similar, albeit on a smaller scale, in TROG.

In all honesty, one can't help liking the man who is The Celestial Toymaker :).

If only The Nightmare Fair had happened...

The adjustment bureau.

Okay, um, wow. That was rather strange. First things first, though: Emily Blunt is amazing. John Slattery sounds like Bill Paxton and I thought I knew Terence Stamp from something, but didn’t. The supernatural stuff bothered me a lot of the time, but I simultaneously found myself sitting on the edge of my chair. Part of me even wanted the film to be longer. I’m not following the chairman’s logic, though: creating an adjustment bureau that can’t function when it’s raining. But then again, the subject that the JWfan adjusters have banned is full of exactly that kind of crap. And anyway, it doesn’t matter. I’m feeling inspired!

And speaking of inspiring things, the score. Newman at his best. The romantic cues are just outstanding. That opening cue… That’s exactly what I would write in my most desperate and sad moments. Literally. I have literally wanted to write those same piano notes at times. Deeply, deeply moved.

Terence Stamp is probably best known for his performances in Superman 1 & 2, The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert, The Limey, and Star Wars Episode I

18 hours ago, Jay said:

Terence Stamp is probably best known for his performances in Superman 1 & 2, The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert, The Limey, and Star Wars Episode I

If you lived in the'60s, Jay, you might think otherwise.

He was all over the cinema screen: BILLY BUDD; THE COLLECTOR; POOR COW; FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD. These were, all, prestigious releases. Along with Michael Caine (with whom he once shared a flat, in London), and David Hemmings, he completed the trio of "it" men.

Btw, Waterloo Sunset, is, despite, appearances, not about Stamp and Christie.

Glory.

Well, war isn’t really my thing, so I spent most of the time being bored and feeling detached until that prick decided to burn the village in the name of freedom. Freeman and Washington are great, of course, but I could have done without the praying scene and, well, you know… I just didn’t like the movie that much. What’s the lesson here anyway? My dark side can certainly come up with an answer that the movie surely couldn’t have meant.

On to the score. After re-discovering The Perfect Storm, I was prepared to be blown away again, but sadly it turned out to be an Apollo 13 situation. What on earth is the fuss about? Okay, some moments are nice and I like all the source music. The main theme itself is great too, but I found the accompaniments it received almost obnoxiously simple. Also, a James Horner score without the ominous minor-major (trombone) theme? I object! And those sopranos definitely sang off-key a number of times. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go send some weapons eastwards and set some stuff on fire. Mankind is so doomed.

The First Great Train Robbery - Michael Crichton scripted (from his novel) and directed 19th-century crime caper with Sean Connery, Donald Sutherland and Lesley-Anne Down plotting to nab a haul of gold bullion from an in-motion steam train. A fun romp, with Connery indulging in some train-top stuntwork that looks more perilous than anything from his Bond flicks, Sutherland enjoying himself as a expert safe-cracker and Down providing the glamour (the sight of her in stockings and a corset is worth the price of admission alone).

End Of Watch - action-thriller that follows South Central LA cops Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena in both their day-to-day work (as they deal with gangs, drug-dealing and human trafficking) and their off-duty personal relationships. The leads' performances help to overcome the genre's perhaps over-familiar aspects.

Jordan Peele's “Us” is a story about family and what it means to be  American | America Magazine

Us

I liked Get Out a lot, but this film was real bad.  It was decently staged for the first half or so.  But the explanation for what's going on that makes up the second half is so ludicrous and illogical and silly, it makes the whole film just dumb overall.  Not worth it.

Oh, Lupita Nyong'o was genuinely great though :up: 

Collateral beauty.

It could have been really poignant and it’s just okay. How you manage to make it just okay with such an all-star cast, though, is another matter. Why does Kate Winslet need to speak with an American accent? Naomie Harris is great, but again, why the accent? Keira Knightley is as fantastic as ever, but she seems to have totally forgotten the deal she made with Edward Norton, who I was going to say is annoying, but I’ll happily retract that statement. Helen Mirren is the only truly annoying person here. And can someone please explain the ending to me? Did Smith, who was really moving, just erase his wife from his memory, or did Sally Price just give Madeline that video and is she not his wife at all? And why can’t she see Love, Death and Time in the end? Because they just walked away, because they have now become love, death and time or because I’m totally overthinking this crap?

The score is functional, but a hugely missed opportunity. The songs are stupid.

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Why does Kate Winslet need to speak with an American accent?

Perhaps she plays an American character like she did in Revolutionary Road

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Jordan Peele's “Us” is a story about family and what it means to be  American | America Magazine

Us

I liked Get Out a lot, but this film was real bad.  It was decently staged for the first half or so.  But the explanation for what's going on that makes up the second half is so ludicrous and illogical and silly, it makes the whole film just dumb overall.  Not worth it.

It really suffered from having to follow the fabulous GET OUT.

Judged on its ownmerits,  it is certainly decent entertainment

19 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Perhaps she plays an American character like she did in Revolutionary Road

I meet folks with English, Australian, Irish accents practically every day.

It's America dammitt!

Land of immigrants.

On 22/01/2022 at 8:36 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

If you lived in the'60s, Jay, you might think otherwise.

He was all over the cinema screen: BILLY BUDD; THE COLLECTOR; POOR COW; FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD. These were, all, prestigious releases. Along with Michael Caine (with whom he once shared a flat, in London), and David Hemmings, he completed the trio of "it" men.

Btw, Waterloo Sunset, is, despite, appearances, not about Stamp and Christie.

Ironically, he turned down BLOW UP.

Bad move. Hemmings became a big star and Terence faded.

9 minutes ago, AC1 said:

If you are a new immigrant fresh off the boat, yes, but people born and raised in America speak with an American accent. 

Well, if the character is born and raised, it might make sense.

But, oftentimes it's not specified. I would prefer to.hear the natural voice of the actors.

It used to.be like that.

Then the " accent police" gained power!😠😡😅
" How come (_____) has an (_________l) accent?"

23 minutes ago, AC1 said:

If you are a new immigrant fresh off the boat, yes, but people born and raised in America speak with an American accent. 

I am not an expert about immigrants in the US. But here some people with immigrant background in third generation still speak with an accent because they grow up within their community, learn the language from their parents etc.

They are maintaining such habits as part of their identity. So, accents can be inherited.

Others try to get rid of it to be more accepted by the natives. That's quite diverse.

29 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

learn the language from their parents etc.

Maybe when you are a little kid, but you take over the accent from the dominant accent in school because it's human nature to fit in, especially at that age. It would be a rare example for someone to be born and raised in America not to speak with an American accent. Maybe if you are Amish and cut off from the outside world? 

Someone born and raised in the UK but moves to the US usually keeps his original accent.

5 hours ago, AC1 said:

Someone born and raised in the UK but moves to the US usually keeps his original accent.

Lots of people change their accents when they move elsewhere, even as an adult - some completely, some partially. Listen to Liam Neeson, for example; I doubt that he could do a convincing Northern Irish accent now if he tried...

I recently listened to an interview with an older man who was born and raised in North Carolina (only a couple hours from where I grew up actually) but had lived nearly his entire adult/professional life in Oxford, England.  His accent was this strange mixture of Southern American and English was fascinating to listen to.

And then there's old rockers like Ozzy Osbourne and Brian Johnson, who despite having both lived in the US for several years now still sound like they arrived there from Birmingham/Newcastle yesterday.   

20 hours ago, Jay said:

But the explanation for what's going on that makes up the second half is so ludicrous and illogical and silly, it makes the whole film just dumb overall.  Not worth it.

I don't like how the film is executed, however, this silly construct makes for a very interesting social metaphor and shouldn't be taken literal.

20 hours ago, Jay said:

Us

His next film will determine if Jordan Peele is a one-hit wonder or not. 

As a writer, producer, and actor he's already well established and put out tons of good product

As far as feature film directing goes yea, I hope NOPE is more GET OUT than US....

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

And then there's old rockers like Ozzy Osbourne and Brian Johnson, who despite having both lived in the US for several years now still sound like they arrived there from Birmingham/Newcastle yesterday.   

Haha, true. But it does depend on how impressionable you are.

Like most of my family, I’m from and spent my younger years growing up in Birmingham but have moved around a hell of a lot since and my accent had all but disappeared and is very neutral now. And yet my aunt who has lived in Australia since 1988 still sounds like a full blown Brummie.

Blah Blah Blah, Woof Woof Roof: Obsessions and Compulsions of Roy Waller in  the film Matchstick Men… | by Serge Braverman | Medium

Matchstick Men

I saw this film when it came out in 2003, in the cinema, and immediately liked it.  Luckily many details had since left my brain, so this rewatch was pretty great.  I still like it!

Nicolas Cage gives a better performance that usual, full of quirks and ticks and interesting bits of acting.  Sam Rockwell kills it too, as he always does.  Bruce Altman does a good turn as Cage's therapist, and Alison Lohman (whatever happened to her, anyway?!) is great as the daughter scam-artist Cage never knew he had.  The plot unfolds from there.

It's on HBO Max

Ive been watching a bunch of Italian crime and horror films lately(I just LOVE Italian actresses of the 70''s)

Anyway, the product placement in these films is worse than even modern day Hollywood blockbusters.

I mean every film prominently features J&B whiskey. In multiple scenes.😰😠😠

But....oh those Italian goddesses!

😄😁😍

Terminal

I've watched because of Margot Robbie and Simon Pegg and was expecting for a pretty bad movie as it was released directly in VOD. Well it was surprisingly good, some really juicy dialogues, with strong characters. Robbie and Pegg are both perfect. The photography is great.

The only problem was that there was too much mystery in the beginning and you have to wait a lot to get some answer otherwise the plot was pretty nice.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Such as?

Btw, have you ever seen BERBARIAN SOUND STUDIO?

Arrow Films have put out a bunch I bluray.

Don't ask me the titles 😅

I've just discovered Edwige Fenech and Paola Sonatore.

Fantastica!

Thor 2. 

Yeah, well… I’m not feeling exited, but quite detached and also annoyed more than anything else because that goddamn eardrum doesn’t feel like it’s healing at all after the surgery, so maybe I might have enjoyed it more with two earphones instead of one and without any worries at the back of my mind. Anyway… Loki is good, but I didn’t remember him dying and totally don’t understand how he then survives. I thought Asgardians could only reproduce themselves or others as holograms? Hemsworth was kind of irritating sometimes and Hopkins sounded like he was just waiting to get his pay check more often than I would have liked. I still love Jane, though, and still don’t like the fact that she and Thor broke up and/or that they never showed it on-screen. The movie is also a bit disjointed, or rather, how does everybody keep finding each other that quickly all the time? And who, WHO is the collector? Is he good or bad? Is he Thanos? They cranked so many of these things out that I really can’t recall anymore. Wow, I’m pissed off after watching a Marvel movie. Who’d have thunk it?

The first score cue sounded oddly distorted, as though its bitrate was extremely low. The first flying cue for Thor and Jane is extremely bad, but there are plenty of nice cues that make up for that. Loki’s theme is great, but the main theme sounds too much like Iron Man 3 and although it is memorable, it just wasn’t necessary. Use Doyle’s stuff.

DHS-_The_Long_Kiss_Goodnight.jpeg

I'd forgotten how great this film is. I went to visit my dad for a few beers and he suggested putting it on.

So over the top, in a superb 90s way. Shane Black's screenplay is as sharp and witty as anything he's ever done. Need to revisit Kiss Kiss Bang Bang again, his directorial debut.