What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

32 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I hate posters that feature the stars holding guns!

Especially these days.

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

24 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I'm serious.

I've always been bothered by the glorification of firearms in Hollywood advertising.

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

Sphere (1998)

It has a nice premise that could've been a cool, thought-provoking sci-fi in the hands of a more competent screenwriter. Unfortunately, the movie we got is boring and a little silly.

Goldenthal's music is great though. I miss the days when even crap movies like this one had awesome scores.

25 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Terminator 2: Judgment day

Still a masterpiece!

I don't watch recent films. Do they make blockbusters like this still?

You don't watch Marvel flicks?!

6 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I don't watch recent films. Do they make blockbusters like this still?

Nope, they absolutely don't. I like some of Marvel movies, but they're not on the same league as the classics from the past.

I would say that there are still great blockbusters today but because they are recent none of them receive the aura of a Terminator, a Back to the Future or a Predator just to quote some great hits of the 80's/90's. They are mostly trash as bad pop-corn flicks made only to earn money to the big majors.

It's sad.

• 2 weeks later...

Drop Dead Gorgeous (Blu-ray Review) at Why So Blu?

Drop Dead Gorgeous

LOLOL!  I had never seen this film before, and boy have I been missing out - it's great!  It's a mockumentary sort of like the Christopher Guest ones, but with more plot and zippier pacing. 

The cast is utterly stacked - Kirsten Dunst, Denise Richards, Amy Adams, and Brittany Murphy are high school seniors competing in a local beauty pageant in small Minnesota hometown with dreams of going to the state, and then national pageant; Then you also got Kirstie Alley, Allison Janney, Ellen Barkin (Hilarious!), Sam McMurray, Mike McShane, Will Sasso as their parents or judges, not to mention appearances by Adam West, Nora Dunn, Mo Gaffney... just top to bottom full of hilarious people, or people not normally known for being funny, being funny here.  We both liked it a lot - check it out!

It's on HBO Max

The last of the mohicans, 1992.

War is still boring, although I will admit the finale was really moving, especially given the fact that Alice never said one word in the entire movie. Which leads me to the first problem: nobody is likeable. Cora is overly dramatic, Waddington is annoying… Okay, I guess Hawkeye was kind of good. The first half was over before I realised it too.

Now, the score. I already knew the main theme and it’s great and all, but for a score written by two composers, it’s a huge failure. The themes are repeated ad nauseum and hardly change keys. Also, why does most of it sound like some kind of mournful Irish jig? It’s all too Zimmeresque too and I am immensely grateful to the person who decided to record the sound of this movie at 32KBPS. Really? As if having to use one earbud wasn’t enough. Off to worry about my seed now.

No, Donald Trump's Lawyer Isn't Like My Cousin Vinny. Stop. | The Mary Sue

My Cousin Vinny

I've always loved this movie and am happy to report IT. HOLDS. UP!! 

I hadn't seen it since I was a kid, but goddamn, it's great - extremely well-paced, all the actors are great, the story is sound, and it's funny as hell.  This film has so many classic, memorable lines and bits.  And this time I got stuff that either flew over my head as a kid, or were cut out of the TV versions I saw, like when Pesci visits them in jail and Karate Kid's buddy thinks he's talking about something different than he actually is - ha!

It's on HBO Max

On 30/01/2022 at 3:30 PM, Edmilson said:

Sphere (1998)

It has a nice premise that could've been a cool, thought-provoking sci-fi in the hands of a more competent screenwriter. Unfortunately, the movie we got is boring and a little silly.

Goldenthal's music is great though. I miss the days when even crap movies like this one had awesome scores.

It's based on a Michael Crichton book that could be great or awful, depending on when it was actually written, but the score is probably the last really brilliant sci-fi score in existence.

22 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I recently watched Jaws with my wife. Was a first time experience for her. And that was actually quite interesting.

Basically, she was shocked, what cruel things these people are doing to this poor animal, that just follows its nature. So, they decide to brutally kill this rare special animal just because they want to have fun on the beach.

What I found interesting, that the film actually allowed that compassionate view for the animal.

That sounds like the point of view that Peter Benchley took later in life.

31 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Basically, she was shocked, what cruel things these people are doing to this poor animal, that just follows its nature.

Yeah right, because the shark in 'Jaws' portrays very typical shark behaviour, right down to dragging a 10 meter boat under water and exploding when a quarter-full oxygen tank goes off in its mouth (sarcasm alert!).

53 minutes ago, publicist said:

Yeah right, because the shark in 'Jaws' portrays very typical shark behaviour, right down to dragging a 10 meter boat under water and exploding when a quarter-full oxygen tank goes off in its mouth (sarcasm alert!).

Yeah, your view would have been the alternative: What a stupid unbelievable unrealistic story and crap of a movie.

But I think, not eveyone has such high standards about movie stories as you that they even call Jaws crap (sarcasm alert!)

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Yeah, your view would have been the alternative: What a stupid unbelievable unrealistic story and crap of a movie.

But I think, not eveyone has such high standards about movie stories as you that they even call Jaws crap (sarcasm alert!)

Jaws is a masterpiece, but that hasn't got anything to do with it depicting realistic shark behaviour, which you were referring to. It's a demon shark and for the sake of the movie, we are willing to suspend our disbelief up to a point. But certainly we don't believe for a minute that the things how they happen in this movie are shark-istiky possible, or at least i hope we don't.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Jaws is a masterpiece, but that hasn't got anything to do with it depicting realistic shark behaviour, which you were referring to. It's a demon shark and for the sake of the movie, we are willing to suspend our disbelief up to a point. But certainly we don't believe for a minute that the things how they happen in this movie are shark-istiky possible, or at least i hope we don't.

I tend to disagree. The shark was in the mid seventies realistic enough to empty the beaches.

Maybe from today's point of view you and after seeing the movie several times you came to that demon shark interpretation. But I have luckily not seen to many shark movies, but usually sharks there behave very unnaturally, and Jaws is one of the more realistic ones, even though it is of course very exaggerated.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

I tend to disagree. The shark was in the mid seventies realistic enough to empty the beaches.

Maybe from today's point of view you and after seeing the movie several times you came to that demon shark interpretation. But I have luckily not seen to many shark movies, but usually sharks there behave very unnaturally, and Jaws is one of the more realistic ones, even though it is of course very exaggerated.

The shark, never mind it's a rubber model, as it is portrayed in the movie, does things that are neither physically possible (not even in the 70's, whatever that means) nor in the nature of the shark as a maritime being. No, a shark couldn't drag three barrels below the waterline, wouldn't follow and attack the boat like a stalker and wouldn't explode (i think Mythbusters did an episode on it). I didn't think anyone would actually watch this movie and come away from it even remotely thinking that could be the case. Be that as it may, even its makers considered the shark a supernatural force, but you can read or watch several very entertaining essays clarifying that. 

9 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I recently watched Jaws with my wife. Was a first time experience for her. And that was actually quite interesting.

Basically, she was shocked, what cruel things these people are doing to this poor animal, that just follows its nature. So, they decide to brutally kill this rare special animal just because they want to have fun on the beach.

What I found interesting, that the film actually allowed that compassionate view for the animal.

I've always thought the film actually supports that view, to an extent, at least until they get on the boat. Or rather, Hooper's character does, but he doesn't let that bother him as far as dealing with that specific individual shark goes.

8 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

ORCA was realistic.

Not JAWS

😎

The Bad Batch (2016)

apivpflt8__75304.1625660931.jpg

Female version of Max Max in a world that is not searching for gas but where people eat people. Keanu Reeves' sewer monologue is a highlight. Also starring Jason Mamoa. 5/10

Annihilation (2018)

1115757.jpg

Hard to believe Alex '28 Day Later' Garland wrote the weak dialogue of this movie. Also, and maybe I missed something, but why is it an all-female team that goes into the danger zone? Watchable but not good at all.

On the Jaws discussion - surely the ultimate 'shark wouldn't/can't do that' thing in the franchise is another Great White bearing a grudge against the remainder of the Brody family and following them to act on it in the terrible Jaws : The Revenge.