What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Probably the 'darkest' (man, that crew member's screams during the transporter accident stay with you) and most philosophical of the Trek movies. The effects really hold up too, if memory serves.  

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan

For me, A LOT better than the first. The story was far more interesting and the film had consequences, which I liked.

Khan was a good villain. Ricardo Montalbán was really good. Quite menacing.

Horner's score was really strong. (Only thing I knew about the film)

I didn't like that they gave Kirk a son to be honest. And Saavik (Kristie Alley) was a character I really disliked. Don't know why, but she was really annoying.

Young Guns - enjoyable Brat Pack Western (which is now a somewhat disconcerting 34 years old). Veterans Terence Stamp and Jack Palance make sure that the likes of Charlie Sheen, Emilio Estevez, Kiefer Sutherland and Lou Diamond Phillips don't have it all their own way.

Devil - imagine being trapped in an elevator with strangers, only for one of them to turn out to be Old Nick himself ... that's the sort of thing that could ruin your whole day, and so it proves with this reasonably effective chiller that clocks in at a tight 80 minutes.

Gremlins

Really fun! Very 80's. I watched parts of this when I was a lot younger. But seeing it again fully was fun.

The Gremlins itself are actually quite disturbing.

Goldsmith's score is terrific. The main theme is really catchy and one his best

THE ROCK

dir. Michael Bay

What can I say. It's Bay's best film by a long shot... at least the one with the most re-watch value (hence my 58th viewing or thereabouts).

Connery and Cage are the most unlikely duo. But they're great together. Snappy dialogue (from various sources I'm told), crunchy 90s-style action sequences (which I genuinely think benefit from Bay's music video aesthetic), superb score (the peak of Media Ventures), and most surprisingly of all... an honourable antagonist (one of Ed Harris' best characters IMO).

All in all, a superb 90s action film that absolutely takes itself too seriously in the right measure... but ultimately accepts that it's fluff. I miss this sort of stuff. 

The Perfect Storm (2000)

IMDB

Is this a “modern classic”? Do people remember this with fondness?

I’ll admit, it’s well crafted and the storm is fun to look at, but it’s sentimental and melodramatic.

I know it’s ‘based on a true story’, but all the plot elements are completely unbelievable. Pure fiction in the worst way. People falling overboard, climbing on masts, lying on the rooftop of the boat untethered, standing on the deck without safety lines…. All the while the worst storm ever recorded is raging.

Anyone who has ever stood in a river with some current - or maybe even been sailing during bad weather no less - will tell you that water can be strong and powerful. And it’s gets bad quick, especially in bad weather.

So I find this movie less believable than a sci-fi movie where humans travel to outer space and find extra terrestrial life. If we’ll done, at least that’s plausible.

Thd only thing that I guess actually happened in this movie is that the Andrea Gail got caught in the storm and that

Spoiler

nobody on the boat survived, may they rest in peace.

All I remember is the last scene and George Clooney was miscast as a fisherman

TORSO

I'm only mentioning this because of the commentary by Kat Ellinger.

This tiresome Brit has already done commentary

tracks for several Sergio Martino films. In each one she gives extensive biographical info on Martino .

So, of course, she spends the first FORTY MINUTES recapping his career- again-  before even mentioning the film we are watching- and its only to mention the actress Suzy Kendall. Then she resumes recapping HER  commentaries for all the other blurays. before , finally, discussing the film, briefly.

Fifty minutes in I know nothing of the cast or script. But, I know alot about several OTHER films she keeps referring to.

Unbelievable these folks do all the commentary tracks.

Knives Out - this twistily-plotted celebration/sly send-up (with a slice of socio-political commentary to boot) of 'all-star cast' whodunnits is very enjoyable ... a lot of this is down to Daniel Craig as 'Southern gentleman' private investigator Benoit Blanc, clearly having the sort of fun you wish he'd had a bit more of as Bond.

Pity that the 2 sequels are going to be Netflix jobs. Oh well.

6 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Pity that the 2 sequels are going to be Netflix jobs. Oh well.

Does it matter where the money comes from? It's still Rian Johnson writing and directing.

For me the thing that matter is rather or not I'm going to be able to watch it in theater, if it's netflix that's a no can do. Netflix never it french theaters :crymore:

Otherwise I really don't care about who financed the movie as long as the people who are making them can be true to themselves

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

Knives Out 2 will play in theaters in the USA and other countries.  Plan a trip to see it elsewhere if your country is being stubborn about it?

I've considered that but this might be a bit expensive ;)

Though recently the annoying law that prevent streaming platforms to release movies in theater has changed so I'll cross my fingers that it won't prevent this one to come out in theater

13 hours ago, filmmusic said:

297990_large.jpg?t=1634318175

Masterpiece! As is the score which should have been nominated for an Oscar!

1993 was an amazing year for me concerning movies:

Schindler's List, The Piano, The remains of the day, The Age of Innocence, Jurassic Park

And M Butterfly which is a wonderful addition to dramas like The Piano and The Age of Innocence.

22 hours ago, AC1 said:

Does it matter where the money comes from? It's still Rian Johnson writing and directing.

I meant that I thought this would mean that they would only be available to watch on there (I refuse to subscribe to streaming platforms, between the monthly Virgin Media bill and the licence fee I damn well pay enough to watch TV as it is IMHO) but if they are due to have US cinema releases I guess that may well happen in the UK too.   

22 hours ago, Jay said:

Plan a trip to see it elsewhere if your country is being stubborn about it?

My country is definitely being stubborn, about it.

Could I borrow $2000 to see it at your local multiplex? :lol:

61874_large.jpg?t=1588361889

Not the best of films, and a slow-burner, plus I don't get the Sissy Spacek Oscar nomination.

Despite all this, I've bought the blu-ray, I don't know why.:lol:

It had a certain appeal to me with the rain and the mud and all that.

Frantic. 

The first half was pretty good, the second one pretty stupid. Ford was boring at first, but I really felt for him once his wife had gone. David Huddleston was great too, but Ford’s kids are stupid and Michelle is annoying as hell. Am I supposed to like her or something? Also, I do hope people working at embassies are a bit more alert than these guys.

My third Morricone score, but this one wasn’t that great. I found the non-symphonic instruments particularly distracting ad the score as a whole is too short as well. One emotional cue stood out, but there’s some very bad editing going on with the source music. Finally, I read some things about Polanski while watching. He’s not a great guy at all, is he?

16 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Despite all this, I've bought the blu-ray, I don't know why.:lol:

I want to own every movie JW scored on blu ray

It's nice to revisit the films to gain new insight into the scores at times

9 hours ago, filmmusic said:

61874_large.jpg?t=1588361889

Not the best of films, and a slow-burner, plus I don't get the Sissy Spacek Oscar nomination.

Despite all this, I've bought the blu-ray, I don't know why.

It had a certain appeal to me with the rain and the mud and all that.

It has Oscar™ nominated sound, and some very nice cinematography, courtesy of Vilmos Zsigmond. You could enjoy it for that.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

It's nice to revisit the films to gain new insides into the scores at times

That's "insights", Jay :lol:

16 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It has Oscar™ nominated sound, and some very nice cinematography, courtesy of Vilmos Zsigmond. You could enjoy it for that.

Maybe you could enjoy it for John Williams' score? 

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Why, yes! It's one of his two best scores, from that year.

Well, inside the movie it didn't do much for me. I watched it in stereo, so I thought it was too low in the mix, maybe it was that reason.

The Devil's Advocate

A mix between John Grisham and demonic horror movies that doesn't quite live up to the interesting premise. It tries to be a little like Rosemary's Baby by bringing satanic lore to a urban setting, but unfortunately it's not as creepy as the 60s movie was.

JNH's score was pretty good, a mix between his 90s thriller music (like The Fugitive) and Christopher Young-like horror. 

I See You (2019)

i_see_you_jpg_1100x0_crop_q85.jpg

Fast paced movie with lost of twists so that it doesn't get boring. Doesn't mean it's good though ... 5/10

612eb60cc993d.image.jpg

Helen Hunt, what have you done with your face?! Creepy!

3W1fhd5rffkrAgV2p65y3WST7aE.jpg

I legit thought that's who that was when I first saw the pic, before I read the post!

Jamie Lee Curtis, one of the few who has been open about her experiences with plastic surgery and has come out against it

image.png

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2021/10/jamie-lee-curtis-plastic-surgery-wiping-out-beauty-social-media-fast-company-interview

I like that movie a lot, it's really well made

And the filmmakers let the score take the reigns for key moments, which is always nice to see

John Powell really had the "John Williams's Star Wars" treatment in this movie, sometimes we barely hear his music during the battle scenes!