What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I rewatched Django and Basterds, recently - these are impressive and important works of his!

I'm not a fan of those so it must be subjective. I don't understand why they are important works either. It seems like we have opposite views on the man. Where you see autopilot, I see passion.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

I like DOGS much better than PULP, which I never really cared for.

Same here. While I like Reservoir Dogs, one might say it's mostly a love letter to Scorsese. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is Tarantino's most personal movie and definitely his most mature one. If you can make a movie where it's not so much about story but all 'about the feeling', then you have my attention. 

I really liked Django and found H8 to mostly be a dull plod. Said it before and I'll say it again ... shooting in Panavision 70mm is a waste if you're going to set most of the thing in a fucking cabin. 

30 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I really liked Django and found H8 to mostly be a dull plod. Said it before and I'll say it again ... shooting in Panavision 70mm is a waste if you're going to set most of the thing in a fucking cabin. 

Like most people u completely missed the point of shooting in an extremely wide screen format.

It isn't about panoramic outdoor vistas.

It's precisely because it's indoors and includes several characters that the format is appropriate.

It's really a theatre proscenium. By employing the wide screen Tarantino is able to include several characters within the frame

Under the Silver Lake

This movie is... very weird.

On the surface, this movie begins as a Hitchcock-inspired mystery thriller (complete with a Herrmann-like score), but with a surrealistic undertone similar to Terry Gilliam and a black comedy a la The Big Lebowski. However, by the end of the movie, it becomes clear that its intention is to mock the same audience who'd watch the movie searching for hidden clues and messages. Which is why I think the resolution of the main mystery is a little disappointing.

Drax would not liked this movie if he watched, there's a lot of naked people exposing their intimate parts during the whole 2h15min.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Under the Silver Lake

I love It Follows but I was severely disappointed with Under The Silver Lake

Similar with Richard Kelly, I love Donnie Darko but was severely disappointed with Southland Tales

Under The Silver Lake is David Robert Mitchell's Southland Tales.

11 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I love It Follows but I was severely disappointed with Under The Silver Lake

Similar with Richard Kelly, I love Donnie Darko but was severely disappointed with Southland Tales

Under The Silver Lake is David Robert Mitchell's Southland Tales.

Yeah, It Follows is great and this one is not as good. Which is a shame, because Under the Silver Lake could've been a lot better with a more tight script.

Every single person will have their own different opinion on that question!

You might like Under The Silver Lake, you might not - it depends more on what that movie is, than that it happens to be directed by the same guy who made It Follows, IMO.

I've never seen Southland Tales and nobody ever talks about it.  UTSL is a bit higher profile.  Plus, it's got Sydney Sweeney, so that's a plus

12 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I have only watched It Follows and Donnie Darko - are the two other movies worth to at least check out or should they be handled like the Matrix sequels?

Under The Silver Lake and Southland Tales are nothing like It Follows and Donnie Darko

Just a minute ago, I wondered if I was the only one in world who thinks Under The Silver Lake is Mitchell's Southland Tales, and no, everybody sees it. This quote from a review on RobertEbert.com says it all:

David Robert Mitchell’s follow-up to “It Follows” is a rambling shaggy dog of a movie, a flick that recalls the sprawling insanity of “Southland Tales” and the stoner vision of “Inherent Vice.” - Brian Tallerico 

Countdown (2019)

Like Happy Death Day, this is a horror movie with a high-concept twist, which, in this case, is an app that can predict when you're going to die.

It could've been a great movie in the hands of a good screenwriter, a really fascinating modern version of Final Destination. However, this one is actually very forgettable and not even scary or creepy enough, despite some decent jump scares. 

Also, it has a stupid #MeToo-like subplot that could've been cut from the movie and it wouldn't make a difference.

2/5

The Last Matinee

It's a slasher-meets-giallo homage, but it's not a good movie overall. There's some striking imagery, some grisly kills and a few moments of suspense -- but it's rather blah for the most part. Ricardo Islas is more comical than scary as the Eye-Eating Killer and the kid protagonists aren't that memorable.

Miss Potter.

That was pretty good. I definitely enjoyed the first half more and was going to write how it was so lovely to watch a film without any conflict or drama. Barbara Flynn was good and I love Emily Watson, unannounced or not. Why did everyone have Scottish nannies back then and why does McGregor sound mechanical in 90% of his roles? And why did women always need chaperones wherever they went? What was their use? Also didn’t need that final ‘look who’s she going to fall in love with next!’ happy ending and did Harry Potter not end up selling better?

The score is fantastic. I shall reserve judgement pending my investigation, but I do have a feeling that Portman wasn’t responsible for all the amazing cues. Some brief nods to Danny Elfman’s ‘it’s such a strange world!’ music didn’t really work, but the use of carols was great and the celesta and flute material was stunning.

On 15/03/2022 at 7:31 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

I get what you're saying, Sweep, but shooting in 70mm can add, not only visually, to the story, but emotionally, as well.

Oddly enough, 70mm is able to convey a greater sense of paranoia, anxiety, and unease, than 1.85, or even 2.35 can. Because there's so much space around the characters, there is more space for other stuff to happen.

Yes, 70mm is about the grand gesture, and the wide open spaces. LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, and DR. ZHIVAGO in 1.85? Please.

It can also be about the really small things, and the spaces, both physically, and emotionally, in-between these things.

On 18/03/2022 at 3:10 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Um... 70mm has nothing to do with the aspect ratio nor the space. It just gives a better resolution.

70mm and Ultra Panavision gives a wider field of vision than normal 35mm.

It's 70mm plus an anamorphic lend.

Stick to topics you know something about, Shark; like flubs and timing issues😜😉

A Fistful Of Dollars - believe it or not my first time watching this ... the first of the classic spaghetti Western 'Dollars Trilogy' that made a star of Clint Eastwood and whose 'Man With No Name' character surely set the template for the gruff, bad-ass anti-heroes to follow. Fabulous stuff.

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

A Fistful Of Dollars - believe it or not my first time watching this ... the first of the classic spaghetti Western 'Dollars Trilogy' that made a star of Clint Eastwood and whose 'Man With No Name' character surely set the template for the gruff, bad-ass anti-heroes to follow. Fabulous stuff.

It's, probably, the least of the trilogy, but it's still worth a watch.

4 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I agree... except for the bit about JS. Don't diss the Shark, dude; he's ok.

4 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

It all depends on the lens used, anamorphic or not.

Soylent Green

Wow, I was not expecting this to affect me as it did.  I'd known the twist, of course, but I've never seen it.  

I was expecting some 1970s cheese like Logan's Run mixed with Omega Man.  Nope... this was incredibly prescient and relevant with its themes of overpopulation, global warming, and food crises.  Heston actually holds back the hamminess a bit.  

But the scene that got me was

Spoiler

Edward G. Robinson's gentle suicide ("going home" with the montage of nature footage and classical music).  With Heston only being able to communicate with him through glass, it reminded me of Spock and Kirk's exchange in Spock's death scene.  Props to both actors... I actually teared up.

It doesn't all work, and it's paced just fast enough to not be boring, but I was surprisingly impressed.

Chaplin (1992, music by John Barry)

Not a perfect movie about not a so perfect human being.  Chaplin was a pretty stubborn man and he was a sad clown outside his movies. But he pulled is pin out of the game rather well despite all the controversies...

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Chaplin (1992, music by John Barry)

Not a perfect movie about not a so perfect human being.  Chaplin was a pretty stubborn man and he was a sad clown outside his movies. But he pulled is pin out of the game rather well before all the controversies...

Robert Downey Jr. gives the performance of his life, in that film. A magnificent turn.

Born on the 4th of July

A great movie and score.

I only fear that Williams won't greenlight an expanded release (or at least a chronological one) because the score is very repetitive.

On 18/03/2022 at 9:21 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

That film remains great. And the sequences of the ship are indeed terrific

Yes. Any screenshot of those key sequences look like pieces of art. It must have been that lack of 'gloss' that 90s VFX often had compared to now... especially when there was a model miniature in shot.... i.e. something fucking real.

Sleepers. 

Well, that was pretty good. Intense, but more than worth it. This was the first time I actually loved the narration in a long time. Speaking of first times, I actually really liked Robert De Niro too. All the actors, minus Brad Pitt, were fantastic, but Dustin Hoffman deserves a special shoutout. The first half flew by, but I’m not sure how much of the abuse was actually depicted since the describer was determined to say too little during the entire movie and that private detective scene was also rather muddled. Also, why did those four friends never meet again after that bar celebration? Seems weird.

The score gave me Presumed Innocent vibes, but that’s okay given the subject matter. I was going to write that it worked at first, but it did much, much more. I especially loved the choral contributions and I somehow want to say that this was the first time John Williams really seemed to care about the characters, but I know that’s not true, it’s just the only expression that comes to mind right now. It was all so heartfelt. The songs and sound mix were great too, as was the recording quality.

The Godfather and The Godfather Part II. The new 4K set arrived last week and watched those two over the last two evenings. I wasn't even planning on finishing either in one sitting but it ended up being the case anyway. It's amazing how gripping those two films are. Not a small feat given 3-hour running time. I haven't seen them in a long time (18 years or so?) but could recall so many plot points and characters. It is a very well realised world and populated by interesting characters. And yet, you never feel lost. Fantastic stuff.

I am now bit anxious to start The Godfather Part III tonight. I've never seen it. There are three cuts of that on the set. Is the new really the best?

Karol

On 22/03/2022 at 1:36 AM, bruce marshall said:

WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO SOLANGE?

Finally, a decent giallo!

And, no J & B !*

[ edit: on second viewing the J & B does make a brief appearance]

😄

My taste in Gialli is different.  I didn't feel like this was colorful or over the top enough.  I'm more of a Argento, Torso, Your Vice kind of guy

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

Is the new really the best?

Its not a huge difference: just a little more taut and the ending is...lets say recontextualized.

Personally, I don't need anything other than the original The Godfather...

16 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Its not a huge difference: just a little more taut and the ending is...lets say recontextualized.

Personally, I don't need anything other than the original The Godfather...

What's wrong with the second one?

Karol

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

What's wrong with the second one?

I don't like crime dramas: I don't think criminals make great characters. The Godfather works because its about a person becoming a criminal. Part II doesn't have that distinction.

Tragedy is to watch a good man go bad, not a bad man going worse.

7 hours ago, Andy said:

My taste in Gialli is different.  I didn't feel like this was colorful or over the top enough.  I'm more of a Argento, Torso, Your Vice kind of guy

I liked it because it was a real movie, not just an exploitation film.

It had a SCRIPT and a believable motivation for the killer.

Massimo often transcended genre. Underrated director.

Bava and the other.guys are not my faves

It's a genre I've only recently delved into and , except for the occasional nudity, haven't really enjoyed.

Same with polizei.

The Poliziotteschi police procedural movies can be dull as dirt, but some of the crime ones are okay. 

And how dare you forsake Bava? ;)

Yeah, I am more attracted to the Gialli with exploitation elements and colorful photography and settings. 

you might like Fulci’s Don’t Torture a Duckling 

Watched The Godfather Part III a couple of nights before. Decided to go with the new cut. I get what they were trying to do bit this isn't one bit interesting to watch.

Karol