John Williams scoring all three new Star Wars films!!

karelm

I thought Sony classical held distribution rights of the music, or something like that.

They do, but they won't hold the master rights. Those will likely be with Fox and/or Disney.

Apparently Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, announced today at the Star Wars convention in Germany that John Williams had been formerly asked to write the music for the three new Star Wars films.

So whom have they since asked?

Lol. I think he meant 'formally'.

Obviously, I did. Thanks! (I'll try to correct the mistake on the original post.)

Sorry about it. Tears of joy were blurring my vision as I was typing!

Bloodboal: brilliant bit

Everyone else: Sony Classical has the exclusive rights to release all six Star Wars scores through 2019

Well, that should keep JWfan in business for a couple of years.

And we can keep working on new expanded score edits until 2050.at rhe very least

As I said in the Episode VII thread this is a wonderful confirmation of a confirmation. :)

As I said in the Episode VII thread this is a wonderful confirmation of a confirmation. :)

Indeed, did something think he wasn't going to do it? Feels like old news to me.

What gets me most is that he's 3 times my age and has more energy and spirit and life than I've had since I was a teenager.

Indeed, and looking at his life force, imagine Williams reaching the age of 120! It means a lot of us will be dead while he's still composing for Star Wars upteenth.

Alex

More than anything I think Williams is enthused (and invigorated?) to be returning to his beloved operatic universe with what he seems to consider a bright young talent (reminds him of youthful George and Steven?) and the opportunities for inspiration that may bring.

I think Lucas has always let Williams do his thing for the most part. It is Lucas's last minute editing and tinkering that has caused so many problems in terms of the score. Abrams does not seem to have that problem, so we could be in for more of a OT musical experience.

Wasn't this already semi-confirmed back in May with his "Wheaties" speech in Boston? Still, glad to see it's now ultra-official!!

Hopefully he brings back all the themes that would fit. I'd get chills if I heard new statements of Luke and Leia!!!

M Giacchino: F**k, when will that old coot die?

J Abrams: Don't worry my friend, I'm gonna quit soon, and we'll make something else together.

I'm surprised E.T.&ElliotForever hasn't chimed in yet. He ought to be doing cartwheels by now...

I'm pretty excited for this news too.

Everyone else: Sony Classical has the exclusive rights to release all six Star Wars scores through 2019

Guess those will revert to Disney same time the actual films do. I wonder if Sony has first dibs on releasing the Episode VII score, or whether that option dissolved when Disney bought Lucasfilm.

Well guess we shouldn't expect any other label say LLL to pick up the rights and release the intended Prequel scores until then...

It's bullshit that Sony is allowed to have the rights for so long...

Pretty much every Williams score now goes through Sony Classical, except Warner and Universal films which have their own record companies (WMG and Decca).

So is this the first time JW will work on a Disney theatrical film release? Or has JW scored a Disney theatrical film release before?

Well guess we shouldn't expect any other label say LLL to pick up the rights and release the intended Prequel scores until then...

It's bullshit that Sony is allowed to have the rights for so long...

Yeah I'll be slowly approaching mid-life crisis when we reach this point,

Karol

What is it's announced that all 9 scores will be released in full, and you die the next day???

Occupational hazards for any JWFanners.

I think Lucas has always let Williams do his thing for the most part. It is Lucas's last minute editing and tinkering that has caused so many problems in terms of the score.

I would say Lucas has (or had) a good ear and a good sense of how to use music in a film. He did ask Williams to rewrite the music for the Tatooine sunset scene in SW and to use Ben's theme. That decision alone was a major factor in the quality of the film and its success.

As for last minute editing and tinkering, every caring filmmaker wishes he had more time to fix this and that and will tinker till the very last minute.

This is great news!! I can't wait

I have to admit I had the same thought as King Mark... now we'll have three more scores to edit endlessly :rolleyes:

But it'll all be worth it!!!!!!! This is SO WIZARD :wizard:

JW briefly makes the pages of "The i" newspaper here in England today. It's a playful little piece that riffs on the Episode 7 news.

Screen_Shot_2013_07_27_at_5_53_46_PM.png

Alright Johnny, calm down, we're all exited.

This picture is a new classic. I love it!

BTW, I merged the new thread into the one we already had, and edited the main post to provide links to each major new event in the news of Johnny scoring the new film(s)