The Official James Horner Thread

1 hour ago, Andy said:

When’s the book coming

On 16/12/2023 at 2:07 PM, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

The first volume is scheduled for early 2024.

On 18/12/2023 at 3:31 PM, karelm said:

I have friends that knew him in high school and had some interesting stories about him.  One worked with him at the Classical Annex of Tower Records and fondly recalls their conversations where he predicted he'll have a section in the music annex some day.  He wasn't wrong.

@karelm

James Horner's brother mentioned Classical Annex of Tower Records, but he wasn't sure because it wasn't very long.
Please tell your friends to contact me. It's not too late to include their testimony.
There's an online form on this page http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/important-james-horner-missing-pieces-and-a-book/  or by e-mail.

8 hours ago, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

@karelm

James Horner's brother mentioned Classical Annex of Tower Records, but he wasn't sure because it wasn't very long.
Please tell your friends to contact me. It's not too late to include their testimony.
There's an online form on this page http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/important-james-horner-missing-pieces-and-a-book/  or by e-mail.

Ok I will.  Can you PM me your email so I can tell him?  My first composition teacher also went to high school with him and Carrie Goldsmith and similarly remembers him from that period.  It sounded like he was pursuing/wished to pursue Carrie and who knows how much of that was because her dad was a super famous composer.  

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

One of them has his own Wikipedia page due to his work on filming:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Horner_(director)

Who is the other one?

10 hours ago, Tallguy said:

How long / when was James in Sedona?

Buy the books and read them to find out!

Please let there be e-book versions.  With my eyesight, I like the ability to enlarge the font size that e-books allow.

• 1 month later...

Nah, much as I love JH, when JG did a logo, he did a logo. Tyler's terribly pointless reinterpretation (or whatever you might call it) makes this point - who needs sampled choir and dodgy syncophated snare drums for the same bit of music?!

On 18/12/2023 at 6:57 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he is; it would fit with his music.

What would you say is the best introductions to his music?

• 2 weeks later...

Including shipping for those who live in the US, one should specify. For the rest of us, it comes up as a whopping $23 for shipping.

I didn't like VIBES back in the day, but after a recent reassessment of Horner's 80s efforts, I've come to appreciate it a lot more. Not enough to buy it on physical format for $28, but definitely worth it for US Horner fans who miss it in their collections.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The world premiere of the 'Field of Dreams' LTP concert:

San Diego Symphony Orchestra. Nichlas Buc, conductor

San Diego, CA at the Rady Shell-Jacobs Park, July 19, 2024.

https://www.sandiegosymphony.org/performances/field-of-dreams-in-concert-world-premiere/

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/2/2024 at 2:37 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

So the Horner re-recordings have been announced! The Hand and The Dresser… kickstarter link below…

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robes/james-horners-the-hand-and-the-dresser-complete-re-recordings

doesn't look very promising atm … :/ 

3 minutes ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

doesn't look very promising atm … :/ 

Oh yeah you’re right. Hopefully it’ll pick up soon. I realised I hadn’t contributed so have done so. Hope anyone else able to contribute can do even if it’s basically just ordering an advanced copy.  

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Well, this confirms my long-awaited return to Gent!

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've tried to sign up, but the menu isn't functioning.

This most recent update may not be completely finished yet - For a few days, the site read "maintenance mode is on" and nothing could be accessed.

Thanks for pointing out the menu problem, it's fixed now.

Registration is not required to visit the site. It's just for posting comments and reviews.

The design was the same since 2013. It was time for a change. The pages will be updated gradually.

And I'd like to switch to a secure connection too (SSL), but I haven't managed it yet.

2 hours ago, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

Thanks for pointing out the menu problem, it's fixed now.

Registration is not required to visit the site. It's just for posting comments and reviews.

The design was the same since 2013. It was time for a change. The pages will be updated gradually.

And I'd like to switch to a secure connection too (SSL), but I haven't managed it yet.

Any idea when the book will be available for pre order?