JAWS - 2015 Intrada 2CD Release (Complete film tracks & original LP re-recording)

Jay

1 minute ago, Tallguy said:

WC Fields? 

Apparently that's who he's imitating in the scene.

On 09/02/2024 at 7:38 PM, Corellian2019 said:

Screen Archives thankfully still has copies! Just ordered mine

Gonna have to hope you ordered in time, since I did have the one instance when an item was listed, but they didn't have any stock remaining per being sold out.

That did cross my mind, even though I did get an order confirmation, but since I ordered late Friday night, I'm going to assume that they'll send me some kind of update after the weekend

Something that's always puzzled me is the track Man Against Beast? On the decca album this track seems to be a different take. The intro differs, while there is also a flub note on the horns for the first appearance of the shark theme. It also seems to be supplemented with woodwinds on the Intrada version. The tempos throughout the cue seem to be a little different as well. This also seems to be the film version because you can definitley hear the flub note when watching. Well at least on the mono version of the film anyway.  The alternate version on the Intrada Edition is different again. It cuts to a different passage after " You're gonna need a bigger boat". Maybe Neil, Mike or Roger could shed some light on this?

From this interview

You explain in the booklet how the version of Man Against Beast used in the 2000 5.1 mix and Decca CD was a different take than what was used in the 1975 mono mix, due to the degradation of the source tape for that take. Can you elaborate on the particular difficulties of restoring this track and what techniques had to be used to fix it?

On the take used on the Decca release and in the 5.1 mix of the film, the woodwinds miss their entrance and throw off the French horn players. There was no other good take to use so they went with that one, but it sabotages an extremely important moment in the movie, when Quint actually sees the shark for the first time. I was determined to restore the correct performance, but all I’ll say is that I’d bet any audio engineer would look at the problem and say that it couldn’t be fixed. It was the ultimate challenge but I’m going to keep the tricks up my magician’s sleeve on it.

36 minutes ago, Brando said:

From this interview

You explain in the booklet how the version of Man Against Beast used in the 2000 5.1 mix and Decca CD was a different take than what was used in the 1975 mono mix, due to the degradation of the source tape for that take. Can you elaborate on the particular difficulties of restoring this track and what techniques had to be used to fix it?

On the take used on the Decca release and in the 5.1 mix of the film, the woodwinds miss their entrance and throw off the French horn players. There was no other good take to use so they went with that one, but it sabotages an extremely important moment in the movie, when Quint actually sees the shark for the first time. I was determined to restore the correct performance, but all I’ll say is that I’d bet any audio engineer would look at the problem and say that it couldn’t be fixed. It was the ultimate challenge but I’m going to keep the tricks up my magician’s sleeve on it.

Thanks for the reply. That explains it. More reason to hang on to the Decca release. 

On 10/02/2024 at 3:38 AM, Corellian2019 said:

Screen Archives thankfully still has copies! Just ordered mine

Thanks for the heads up. I have managed to bag a copy before it has run out there too. So happy to have finally managed to hopfully get a copy. Its been on my wish list since I realised these special editions existed !

I listened to the two cues from "Man Against Beast" yesterday, and honestly, it's not a detail I had noticed before. But I am thankful to Mike Matessino and his magic wand for noticing these kinds of details and successfully restoring the correct take in the latest expansion!

I'm still confused as to what error the musicians actually made...the interview says the woodwinds started too late and threw off the French horns. Did they not see what specific spot they were supposed to start at for one take? Was there one WW player or multiple, and if there were multiple, they all made the same error?

20 minutes ago, Brando said:

I'm still confused as to what error the musicians actually made...the interview says the woodwinds started too late and threw off the French horns. Did they not see what specific spot they were supposed to start at for one take? Was there one WW player or multiple, and if there were multiple, they all made the same error?

At 0:10 of this sample I shared in the previous post, you can hear where the Clarinets play in the film take (left), but not in the Decca take (right).  (It'd be about 0:43 in the YouTube videos)

1 minute ago, Tallguy said:

Are you new here?

I'm going to go on record and say that this is only the second or third time I've actually engaged with Jaws' score.  (The previous time was the Shark Cage Fugue vs. Whale Fugue thread)

I'd delve deeper, but, as it turns out, I missed my chance to get the reissue of the Intrada album.

19 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

I'm going to go on record and say that this is only the second or third time I've actually engaged with Jaws' score.  (The previous time was the Shark Cage Fugue vs. Whale Fugue thread)

I'd delve deeper, but, as it turns out, I missed my chance to get the reissue of the Intrada album.

Me too.

3 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

At 0:10 of this sample I shared in the previous post, you can hear where the Clarinets play in the film take (left), but not in the Decca take (right).  (It'd be about 0:43 in the YouTube videos)

No no I know what the difference is, I’m just asking how did the players miss their mark for this specific section. MM makes it seem like in the interview they forgot to play it, I’m just curious as to how they missed it.

7 minutes ago, Brando said:

No no I know what the difference is, I’m just asking how did the players miss their mark for this specific section. MM makes it seem like in the interview they forgot to play it, I’m just curious as to how they missed it.

When things don't go the way you are expecting, it can make you go "wait what? What are we doing? Is that how it's supposed to be? are they wrong? Or did I read it wrong? SHIT!"

I suppose so. I guess my confusion comes from how many players we’re talking here. If it’s one then it makes sense that he made a mistake and missed his entrance, but if there’s more than one then how do they all mess up at the same time, maybe I'm thinking too much about it.

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I remember someone on this forum said the OST is enough.

I mean, if you are only listening to the OST you are mainly just missing out on a lot of "dun-dun dun-dun DUN-dun dun-DUN...".

11 hours ago, Brando said:

As if the horns need any reason to fuck up...

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

I mean, if you are only listening to the OST you are mainly just missing out on a lot of "dun-dun dun-dun DUN-dun dun-DUN...".

Some of those dun-duns won Williams the Oscar, so all of them are needed. 

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Yes, and they are ALL awesome. No two statements are alike.  

There is a LOT of great music on the Orca also that isn’t on the OST.  Some really brilliant stuff as the happy seafaring adventure yields to a tone of hopeless desperation. 

6 minutes ago, Andy said:

a tone of hopeless desperation. 

It seems like you're describing the majority of the threads on JWFAN!

58 minutes ago, Andy said:

There is a LOT of great music on the Orca also that isn’t on the OST.

And even what is on there is better performed and IMO a more tolerable mix/master whatever in the film recording!

43 minutes ago, Bespin said:

What amazes me about this 'wrong take' issue with "Man against Beast" is that I've lived long enough not only to see many incorrect 'takes' mistakenly reissued on CD (pop and movie music) but also reissued mistakenly (or well, out of necessity, if we can say that) in restored movies in theaters (and on physical media).

If I were younger, I would dedicate a website to restored movies that used "wrong" or alternative takes from the score. It's not only fascinating, but it also proves the fact that nothing is perfect in the world of recorded music. Sometimes, in trying to improve a situation, we degrade it and inadvertently (or intentionally) introduce a small error.

image.gif

It's about wrong dialogue rather than wrongly used music cues, but this whole situ with various releases of James Cameron's The Abyss fascinated me. Makes you realise how much goes into the sound restoration of any film. 

13 minutes ago, Badzeee said:

It's about wrong dialogue rather than wrongly used music cues, but this whole situ with various releases of James Cameron's The Abyss fascinated me. Makes you realise how much goes into the sound restoration of any film. 

Imagine this... in the near future, not so far away, directors will be able to actually MODIFY the actors' dialogues (and even the acting) using AI...

Imagine the podrace in TPM, without all the grimaces of Pernilla August removed digitally! :P

14 minutes ago, Badzeee said:

"You guys can repay the kindness by releasing Tombstone, the Kingdom of Heaven: Roadshow Edition, and Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World in 4K Ultra HD."

Ha!

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

You've never played in an orchestra! On the separate scores, you don't see when your part begins compared to the other instruments; only the conductor has the "entire" visible thing before his eyes. On your part, you only see a bunch of silences... So counting the silences can be boring and hard, and that's where the conductor can be useful. He can signal to a particular section, like the woodwinds: "HEY, WAKE UP, your part begins HERE!" :lol:

Ex.:

image.png

You're right, I have not, if you surprised me with a pop quiz on naming how many instruments I know, I couldn't list more than 10...This explanation makes sense, I didn't think the woodwinds would only have the woodwinds section in front of them.

On 12/02/2024 at 11:48 AM, Antonb said:

Thanks for the heads up. I have managed to bag a copy before it has run out there too. So happy to have finally managed to hopfully get a copy. Its been on my wish list since I realised these special editions existed !

Got my "order being prepared" email!

1 hour ago, Corellian2019 said:

Got my "order being prepared" email!

Now that you'll finally upgrade your 'Jaws' to a release up-to-date, let's talk about that pink-collar shirt... ;)

image.png

6 hours ago, Tallguy said:

"You guys can repay the kindness by releasing Tombstone, the Kingdom of Heaven: Roadshow Edition, and Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World in 4K Ultra HD."

Ha!

The heart wants what the heart wants and can we please have every JW soundtrack ever expanded and remastered NOW PUH-LEEEEZE?! 

7 hours ago, Brando said:

You're right, I have not, if you surprised me with a pop quiz on naming how many instruments I know, I couldn't list more than 10...This explanation makes sense, I didn't think the woodwinds would only have the woodwinds section in front of them.

They don't have the "woodwinds section" score. Every specific instrument section has their own part, e.g. 1st violins, 2nd violins, etc. - the flutes will have one part (combined for however many flutes there are), the clarinets will have another, oboes yet another, etc.

I love this release but it's too bad it can't sound like the new Live and Let Die expansion from La-La Land. The sound quality on LALD is stellar!

On a different note, this might seem like a stupid question. Is screen archive a genuine site to order stuff? I have ordered Jaws from them, it says it has shipped, but the tracking number when I click on it says service unavailable! This is making me nervous! I emailed them about this but yet to receive a reply. Which also makes me wonder , anyone else had dealings with this site before?

1 hour ago, Antonb said:

On a different note, this might seem like a stupid question. Is screen archive a genuine site to order stuff? I have ordered Jaws from them, it says it has shipped, but the tracking number when I click on it says service unavailable! This is making me nervous! I emailed them about this but yet to receive a reply. Which also makes me wonder , anyone else had dealings with this site before?

Hey @Antonb Yes Screen Archives is very legit. I've ordered from them for years. Their tracking link/service they use to display tracking info is broken on the site but if you copy paste the tracking number into something else, For example usps.com, the tracking number will work.

I've had to do the same thing for a little while now. 

6 hours ago, Antonb said:

It's my favorite site to order JW albums, and I live in UK.
Only had an issue once, when they didn't include JP in the shipped order due to it being sold out with them, and only left a hand written piece of paper in the parcel to apologize, however I had been charged for it: sent them an email and got a refund within a few hours.

Ok, great, they have sent me the place to get the tracking information. It’s in the uk! Just waiting for it to arrive any day now! Excited! Been on my bucket list for a long time

On 19/02/2024 at 7:37 PM, KittBash said:

Hey @Antonb Yes Screen Archives is very legit. I've ordered from them for years. Their tracking link/service they use to display tracking info is broken on the site but if you copy paste the tracking number into something else, For example usps.com, the tracking number will work.

I've had to do the same thing for a little while now. 

Use Asendia France tracking. Page. The USPS tracking number changes to another number midway.. And yes they are reliable been ordering from them for decades