The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

• 2 weeks later...

This was instant nightmare fuel for me. I'm not detecting any veiled sensuality here...

image.gif

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"Veiled sensuality"?

@Thor, Piper Laurie was smokin' hot, in TWIN PEAKS! :)

He, he...I suppose. But in 1990, I was 13 years old, and she was old enough to be my grandmother. So kinda awkward to recognize that aspect of her role. These days, TWIN PEAKS Piper is only about 10-15 years older than me, so the sensuality is more overt, I suppose.

Maybe you like older women? :lol:

Seriously though, the older you get, the smaller the gap gets between those whom you admire, and yourself.

In 1982, members of Genesis were 30-31 years old. As a teenager, that seemed a ridiculous gulf. Now, they are 70-71, and the age gap seems like nothing. They could all be older brothers.

Indeed. A legend, but humble with it. And too much of a gentleman to make public his feelings as regards the state of Man U under the Glazers, but one suspects they wouldn't have been complimentary. 

Matthew Perry. Ouch. He's like seven months younger than me and we were born in the same part of Massachusetts. For me that makes it kind of weird.

By far my favorite Friend. RIP.

Aww, I watched a lot of Friends back then and fondly remember the final episode. You'd have thought those actors would be around for another few decades at the very least.

I visited the set (or some sort of recreation) back in 2009 during the WB tour - not sure whether it was supposed to be the real one or not, but given the show had ended only 5 year before, it was minorly exciting.

RIP :( 

How sad. Perry has always been my favourite of the Friends cast. He was a wonderful comedy actor, and I always hoped he'd get more/bigger roles after the series ended. I guess his personal issues got in the way. RIP

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Screenshot_20231029_103539_Instagram.jpg

Beautiful. This seems to be the source:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cy-TrK0qmqE/

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

How sad. Perry has always been my favourite of the Friends cast. He was a wonderful comedy actor, and I always hoped he'd get more/bigger roles after the series ended. I guess his personal issues got in the way. RIP

From a UK perspective (i.e. not being exposed to that much US stuff) Schwimmer, Kurdow and Cox didn't seem to do much afterwards either. No doubt there were personal issues for Perry, but after a show like Friends and its paychecks, they probably never had to work again unless they really want to.

14 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

From a UK perspective (i.e. not being exposed to that much US stuff) Schwimmer, Kurdow and Cox didn't seem to do much afterwards either.

Kudrow seems to be getting steady work according to IMDb, not that I'm personally aware of most of it. I know that Schwimmer pops up once in a while in some bigger thing. And Cox apparently already had a career when Friends began. The difference is (maybe) that Perry seemed to be ready for more, and seemed to want to do more, but after a brief surge around the end of Friends, nothing much seemed to become of it. He did have a couple of series and even some theatre work, but none of it seemed to last long.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

image.jpeg

I never watched 'Friends'. What's the story with the birds? A gag in the show?

Really sad. He was the best thing about the show, in addition to Joey's antics. Also loved the first THE WHOLE NINE YARDS, and his riffing with Bruce Willis.

6 hours ago, mstrox said:

I saw two episodes of Friends and that was more than enough, but rest in peace to the man who invented Matt Speak.

I had to google that, and still not a lot of hits came up. What is it? I found something about sarcasm, but obviously Perry didn't invent sarcasm.

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

I had to google that, and still not a lot of hits came up. What is it? I found something about sarcasm, but obviously Perry didn't invent sarcasm.

SNL sketch. And you can also find some rather pointed Norm MacDonald commentary on it. And if you want the hat trick of deceased comedians you can find people talking about Norm talking about it on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast.

(They made this HUGE deal about finding unused Robin Williams audio for the Disney 100th anniversary short Once Upon a Studio and then walked right past that they recast Gottfried as Iago. Boooo. Wait, that's four deceased comedians.)

55 minutes ago, Thor said:

Story is the first minute or so of this video - a little nsfw language in there