Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Final Predictions (NO SPOILERS)

crumbs

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Final Predictions  

56 members have voted

1. 1. When Don Williams said the 'Phantom Theme' would return in TROS, did he mean the Emperor's Theme or Duel of the Fates?

• Emperor's Theme
    • Duel of the Fates
  2. 2. Will any of these prequel themes return in TROS?

• Anakin's Theme (TPM, AOTC, ROTS)
    • Anakin's Betrayal (ROTS)
    • Across the Stars (AOTC, ROTS)
    • Battle of the Heroes (ROTS)
    • Qui-Gon's Theme (TPM)
    • Trade Federation March (TPM, AOTC)
    • Funeral Theme (TPM, ROTS)
    • Separatist Mystery Motif (AOTC)
    • None of the above
  3. 3. Will the film feature any music tracked from the recordings of a previous score (excepting Main Title)?

4. 4. Stylistically, which musical approach will JW take for the Death Star II lightsaber battle between Rey and Ren?

• A monothematic large scale chorale piece with bursts of the Force Theme, like the Mustafar battle in ROTS
    • Thematic scoring with Rey and Ren's themes used throughout, like Ways of the Force
    • Something else
  5. 5. Will an expanded 2CD version be released alongside the standard 1CD version?

6. 6. Will we hear ANY of the score before the film is released?

7. 7. Will there be a featurette on the score released in advance, like the TFA 60 Minutes piece?

8. 8. Will either Rey or Kylo Ren receive new themes in the film?

9. 9. How many new THEMES will the score contain?

10. 10. How does the end credits suite finish?

• Luke's Theme
    • The Force Theme
    • Rey's Theme
    • Rebel Fanfare
    • A reprise of the ANH closing fanfare
    • A reprise of the ESB closing fanfare
    • A reprise of the ROTJ/ROTS extended closing fanfare
    • Brand new, non-thematic fanfare
    • Something else
  11. 11. Will there be a track called 'The Rise of Skywalker'

12. 12. How many unique concert suites will the OST contain?

13. 13. Has John finished recording the score, as at November 11?

• Yes, it's all done
    • No, they're still recording
  14. 14. Does the Emperor and his forces receive a new theme in addition to his original one?

15. 15. Just how all-encompassing is the rumoured end credits suite?

• A victory lap of basically all the major themes across all 3 trilogies
    • A suite of the sequel trilogy + the themes of any character in TROS only
    • Just a suite of the key new ideas from TROS only
    • Something else
  16. 16. Will the Cloud City music re-appear at any point in the score for Lando?

17. 17. What is the first theme in the score after Main Title?

• Rey's Theme
    • Force Theme
    • Luke's Theme
    • Luke & Leia
    • Rebel Fanfare
    • Something else
    • Kylo Ren's A Theme
  18. 18. Does the Kylo Ren march from the end of TLJ get developed into a fully fledged musical idea?

19. 19. Was the 'potential' TROS music heard in that Anthony Daniels promo actually a hint of something from the score, or just generic trailer music?

• Yes, it was based on something from John's score for TROS!
    • No, just generic trailer music by another composer
  20. 20. Will the tracklist be known before the score is available?

• Yes, it will be revealed when pre-orders go live, hence the delay
    • Yes, it will leak a few days out from the score's release
    • No, it won't be known until the score goes live at midnight on release day
  21. 21. How prevalent will choral elements be across the score?

• Just 2 or 3 cues for dramatic effect, like TLJ
    • Substantial, prolonged appearances for the climactic battle, plus several cues throughout to support the Emperor's Theme
    • No choir at all, all orchestral
  22. 22. Will Rey's Theme be threaded through the Force Theme, like the end of the TFA credits, in the body of the score proper?

23. 23. Did Don's prediction about the length of the score come true, or did the score end up another rewrite/insert mess like TFA?

• Yes, he was correct, about 135-140 minutes
    • The score matches the runtime, about 155 minutes
    • No, JW had to re-score multiple scenes after reshoots. The score ended up 175-185 minutes long
    • He's still doing revisions! 200+ minutes!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/12/19 at 01:00 PM

I'm hoping for a big, epic, choir piece, for the final lightsaber duel. 

It's the last confrontation for the fate of the galaxy, Williams should show some enthusiasm! Please, don't disappoint me like Silvestri did when scoring the Endgame climax.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Make of this what you will, but this dude claims that none of the Disney Star Wars films have done test audience screenings.

They would never show these movies to audiences drawn from randos among the public.

But I believe they have “family and friends” screenings for industry insiders and civilians associated with the filmmakers and Disney higher-ups. They solicit opinions/suggestions like a test screening and that’s their substitute, Spielberg and Ava Duvernay gave feedback on Force Awakens that affected the movie for example. I remember Matt Reeves admitting he’d seen it.

Plus along with the requisite NDA’s, easier to vet people and less incentive for them to leak shit if they’re all associated with the filmmakers. JJ’s cousin or whatever doesn’t wanna ruin it.

If Across the Stars is in there, it'll be a tiny statement of it like Han and Leia's theme in "The Spark." Probably when Luke's force ghost very briefly mentions his parents' love to Rey. I don't know when else it would be used! But then again, I'm usually wrong about my predictions.

29 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

What is it right now?

I guess it's The Last Jedi, with over 185 minutes of recorded music and 2h20 minutes of music on the actual movie.

And, if I'm not mistaken, the first two Potter movies also have more than 2h10 minutes of music on each one of the movies.

3 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Williams probably composed an original end Credits suite that will be replaced by bits of score edited together

Half the score will probably be tracked with music from TLJ.

12 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

I predict the major new theme will be a set piece theme ala Duel of the Fates and Battle of the Heroes instead of a character theme or relationship theme. 

This would follow the PT mold, which he followed from VII to VIII.  I could see a warrior-type theme for the new allies and a knight theme for the knights--but I also think their role in this will be minimal.  

I voted for two concert pieces, but the more I think about it, I think it will either only be one or he will go all out and have five.  

It's hard to say about new themes because we don't know anything substantial about the new characters.

• D-0 isn't likely to get a theme after BB8 missed out on one
  • Is Zorri Bliss a substantial enough character to get one? Her role is a bit mysterious but could easily end up insignificant
  • Dom Monaghan's character doesn't seem important enough (just a Rebel soldier in the first act?)
  • Richard E. Grant is just a military general. Arguably a First Order theme would suit his character but JW just substituted Kylo Ren's fanfare for that purpose in TLJ
  • The Knights of Ren are barely in the marketing so I wouldn't be surprised if their role is minimal

Which really just leaves more 'nebulous' possibilities for new themes. An epic "fate of the galaxy" theme, a "looking for her family" theme for Rey, a "Skywalker redemption" theme for Ren, a "dark forces rising" theme for the Emperor. JW has moved to less literal thematic ideas in latter sequels (most of the new themes in ROTS, Window to the Past in POA) so if the new characters aren't significant enough for thematic development, I could see JJ nudging him down this path.

I will say that Ben's 'hesitancy' theme felt a little tired by the end of TLJ; if TROS expands on his inner conflict it would be nice to have something more fleshed out thematically.

1 hour ago, Modest Expectations said:

Whenever I grow a bit tired of speculation, I imagine someone reading all our anticipation threads five or ten years from now, and envying us---those who had the joy of not knowing and speculating together, and then would experience the joy of being surprised by and knowing the final Star Wars score, and be there to celebrate the immediate excitement together like a big Ewok party.

This feels very final to me. Maybe we will still have the chance to follow, speculate about, and cherish a new Indiana Jones score of the 89 years old Williams; or maybe not. Maybe this is the last film score ever of the great John Williams.

It will be the last JW SW score and that has a gravitas all its own.  I foresee a couple more years of active scoring from JW. He is healthier than I am (and I am more than 40 years his junior).  

12 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I had the same issue so I just picked one. Funeral Theme seems most likely to me for some reason but I will be surprised if anything but DotF turns up. 

And Duel of the Fates wasn't an option for #2 either!

8 hours ago, Jay said:

I couldn't submit the answers I wanted because Question 2 does not have a "none of the above" option.

Fixed

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah and none of these are what I think it will be 

image.png

Fixed. Out of interest, what do you expect it to be? Just a TROS concert suite + Throme Room again?

7 hours ago, Jay said:

And Duel of the Fates wasn't an option for #2 either!

Figured that was covered in question 1.

I forgot a really good question for this!

Will John use Dies Irae anywhere in the score?

Yes

No

My prediction is yes! Considering how dark and apocalyptic the film looks.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

I forgot a really good question for this!

Will John use Dies Irae anywhere in the score?

Yes

No

My prediction is yes! Considering how dark and apocalyptic the film looks.

Yes.  Daisy and JJ have been talking about how dark, risky, and unexpected the film is.  Speaking of scary, the only thing worse than JJ playing it safe is him taking risks for the sake of taking risks.  This movie might reek of amateur storytelling.  

Interesting that Connelly and Treverrow ended up receiving story credits for the final film. Guess JJ didn't start from scratch when Trev got kicked off the film (or they just have a really good agent). 

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Interesting that Connelly and Treverrow ended up receiving story credits for the final film. Guess JJ didn't start from scratch when Trev got kicked off the film (or they just have a really good agent). 

JJ initially claimed VII was purely him and Kasdan, only later to admit some of Arendt's script was in it.  Hollywood egos are not small.  

In this case, I am not so sure Treverrow's story being part of the final film gives me any hope.  To paraphrase Obama, these guys are JV-league SW writers.  

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

That wouldn’t be an agent’s influence. Writing credits are taken pretty seriously by the Writers Guild of America and when there are multiple writers, they often arbitrate those credits by having a volunteer panel of veteran writers/guild members look at anonymously labeled drafts (Writer A, Writer B etc) to determine the authors of the final screenplay. Pretty sure it’s mandatory when the director or producer is a co-writer, specifically to avoid power plays, and those guild members are vetted to make sure they’re not acquainted with the filmmakers in question (obviously gotta be hard to find with something like this). Pretty spicy stuff. 

Incidentally, Trevorrow was pretty much exactly in JJ’s position when he did Jurassic World and tried (and failed) to argue his screenplay wasn’t based on previous material. I guess remains to be seen if JJ’s gonna similarly want to dispute this or just let it slide. I assume he knows it wouldn’t be a good look if he tries to revert it. Maybe he thinks it’s fair, privately, despite the tall tales he tells publicly about starting with nothing. It’ll be interesting to hear what he says when he’s inevitably asked about it. 

Anyway there’s a screenwriting podcast run by John August (Go, Big Fish) and Craig Mazin (Hangover, Chernobyl), they’ve been arbiters and did a whole episode on this after the Jurassic drama. Interesting listen/read.

On 11/16/2019 at 5:54 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

He will tell you how to obtain enlightenment by reading tons of boring SW crap.

How do you know it's boring if you haven't read it? How else do you plan to obtain enlightenment?

12 hours ago, Tom said:

Yes.  Daisy and JJ have been talking about how dark, risky, and unexpected the film is.  Speaking of scary, the only thing worse than JJ playing it safe is him taking risks for the sake of taking risks.  This movie might reek of amateur storytelling.  

With the Sequel Trilogy, many are already claiming "amateur storytelling". Perhaps they just don't understand the trajectory of the Saga and that this continued story is consistent with the previous episodes, with and abundance of clues that foreshadow events to come.

The truth is, Lucasfilm conceived a plan for the Sequel Trilogy and stuck to it. The risk they took was in the manner of its presentation: Playing peoples' expectations and preconceptions against them... then executing the finale, blowing everyone away. The events that will conclude the Saga will be unexpected to most, not because the story didn't make sense, but because people didn't think these film makers had it in them to truly surprise and impress.

12 hours ago, Tom said:

JJ initially claimed VII was purely him and Kasdan, only later to admit some of Arendt's script was in it.  Hollywood egos are not small.  

In this case, I am not so sure Treverrow's story being part of the final film gives me any hope.  To paraphrase Obama, these guys are JV-league SW writers.  

Some of JJ's recent statements:

“Some people feel like we shouldn’t revisit the idea of Palpatine, and I completely understand that. But if you’re looking at these nine films as one story, I don’t know many books where the last few chapters have nothing to do with those that have come before. If you look at the first eight films, all the set-ups of what we’re doing in IX are there in plain view.”

“This is about bringing this thing to a close… if years from now, someone’s watching these movies, all nine of them, they’re watching a story that is as cohesive as possible.”

“...we are not screwing around.”

I'm curious, what about the writing do you think is JV-league? Do you have an idea of where the story is headed? If not, perhaps it's your discernment and understanding of Star Wars that is JV-league.