Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (2023)

Manakin Skywalker

• Edwards (Rogue One)
  • Trank (abandoned Boba Fett film)
  • Lord and Miller (Solo)
  • Trevorrow (Episode IX)
  • Benioff and Weiss (abandoned Old Republic trilogy)
  • Jenkins? (Rogue Squadron)

Arguably Johnson as well, though I doubt his "new trilogy" ever progressed beyond the 'conversations' phase. He'd already moved onto other projects after TLJ wrapped.

I hope Waititi isn't next; his is the only film I'm looking forward to!

Best Star Wars News in a long time (ago). It just made my day!

Disney ultimately makes a pause between Star Wars Films even though it doesn't seems to be willingly but because of Kennedy unstoppable ability to fire directors away...

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Star Wars: Patty Jenkins' Rogue Squadron Delayed Indefinitely

Good news for Wonder Woman fans, I guess, now that the third movie will probably come out sooner than RS.

Hans! Hans! Hans! 

Karol

18 hours ago, crumbs said:

Ahhh, the classic "scheduling conflict" excuse! :lol:

Seems to be a trend with Lucasfilm, after prematurely hiring "the next big thing." D&D's Star Wars trilogy was quietly shelved after the final season of GOT, Josh Trank was fired after his Fantastic Four meltdown (and the Boba Fett film was retooled as a TV show), Rian Johnson's trilogy will clearly never happen (and I say that as a huge fan of TLJ), and now there's "scheduling conflicts" with Patty Jenkins a few months after the critical drubbing of WW84.

Seems the franchise is at a crossroads and they can't decide between films or Disney+ series (especially after the latter has proven so successful).

https://www.starwars.com/news/rian-johnson-writer-director-of-star-wars-the-last-jedi-to-create-all-new-star-wars-trilogy

I feel like if Rian Johnson’s trilogy was canceled, this article would’ve been removed from the website. I hope it’s not canceled, I’d love to see what he could do with a trilogy.

• 10 months later...

Technically true.

They've announced this for a schedule:

December 2022: Avatar 2

December 2023: Star Wars

December 2024: Avatar 3

December 2025: Star Wars

December 2026: Avatar 4

December 2027: Star Wars

December 2028: Avatar 5

But have not announced which Star Wars projects in development will get assigned which date.

And at this point, since they haven't started filming yet, it's unlikely there will be one done in time for December 2023.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wasn't he?  If I'm misremembering, please share what happened

I just Googled if he was and nothing came up, I don't think he was fired, I think Gilroy came in to help with the reshoots/rewrites. If he was fired I don't think he would return at the 5 year anniversary for an interview with SW.com

3 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

What a mess the future of sw is.

I dunno, apart from TLJ and the animated stuff Disney Star Wars has consistently had messy productions, with the main idea be let's film whatever and figure out how to fix it later and hope it works out. 

Yeah, I thought Kennedy and Feige were going to produce the next three Star Wars films (originally slated for 2022 - 2024 - 2026), which were all going to have different directors.

I don’t particularly care who does Rogue Squadron (as long as it’s not Rian Johnson), I just want it made. Disney and Kennedy are clueless if they think that a Rogue Squadron film wouldn’t have a good chance of being commercially successful and a fantastic film. Of all the “legacy” Star Wars media, Rogue Squadron, from the books to the comics to the video games, probably had some of the greatest reach. 

6 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

Can you be more plain in what you are suggesting, and why it’s such a big deal to you?

There’s a guy on YouTube named Mike Zeroh who uploads videos weekly of events and discussions and stuff and none of it has ever come true. He is one of the most clickbaitiest clickbaiters there is. And he gets thousands of views somehow. It’s a big deal because these people are straight up making stuff up and feeding it to hungry idiots. 

On 15/09/2022 at 2:55 PM, Jay said:

Ep 7 and 8 are the only 2 Disney Star Wars movies that got released with their original directors staying on the whole time

Josh Trank's Boba Fett movie : canceled

Rogue One : Gareth Edwards not on hand for rewrites and reshoots done by Tony Gilroy

Solo: Phil Lord and Christopher Miller fired, Ron Howard replaces

Episode 9 : Colin Trevorrow fired, JJ Abrams replaces

Obi-Wan movie : turned into TV series

Benioff & Weiss's trilogy: canceled

Rian Johnson's trilogy : seemingly canceled

Patty Jenkin's Rogue Squadron : seemingly canceled

~

Kevin Feige's movie : still happening?

Taika Waititi's movie : still happening?

...and even then, Episode 7 had tons of production problems. They had their big falling out with Lucas, they lost Michael Arndt, they had a big delay that pushed the movie from May 2015 to December 2015 which pushed everything back along with it. 

The funniest part is the only movie without massive production issues is the one that tore the world in half. 

25 minutes ago, Brando said:

There’s a guy on YouTube named Mike Zeroh who uploads videos weekly of events and discussions and stuff and none of it has ever come true. He is one of the most clickbaitiest clickbaiters there is. And he gets thousands of views somehow. It’s a big deal because these people are straight up making stuff up and feeding it to hungry idiots. 

Oh I'm sure everyone here knows who that is. :lol:

I would love another Rian Johnson-directed Star Wars film. He just needs to direct and not be involved with the writing. Star Wars always does better when a director distances themself from the screenplay.

34 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Oh I'm sure everyone here knows who that is. :lol:

I’m sure, he just came to mind first🤣

I didn’t even consider the numerous websites who constantly put out bullshit since they’ve got nothing better to do. 

22 hours ago, mstrox said:

I’m begging, BEGGING you all to consider the source when you read movie news on the internet!

This is good advice in general, but I am perplexed why you have chosen to remind us of this here, in this thread, now. 

Because Disney had in fact removed Rogue Squadron from their schedule. This isn't some internet rumor, it's just a thing they did. Here's a reuters source for you

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/disney-removes-star-wars-film-rogue-squadron-schedule-2022-09-16/

So why are you choosing here in this thread to get on your high horse about rumors, when nobody here is talking about rumors at all? 

The two posts immediately before mine about Feige’s planned movie are straight from the clickbait misinfo factory, and sharing them as fact just perpetuates the misinformation even if you aren’t citing the original source.