New Spielberg movie: The Fabelmans (2022)

Once

• 4 weeks later...

So Spielberg directed Truffaut in CE3K and now Lynch in The Fabelmans, are there any other directors he has directed in full acting roles (not cameos)?

I'm not counting actors that have directed a movie or two! (like Tom Hanks, etc.)

Nine months to go and still no official confirmation that JW is scoring it. 

I was walking on the street today and it suddenly occurred to me that Spielberg could use just songs from the 60s and 70s instead of an original score.  😱

I know Williams is probably going to do it, but I'll only relax when I see news that he's already conducting the score.

Wow ! My interest just got raised by +100% too ! Incredible to think there will be a David Lynch-John Williams connection, maybe even a JW theme for David Lynch's character :D

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Would make total sense and be awesome if Spielberg is recreating this hilarious story. I could instantly see Lynch in this scene the way Spielberg describes it. Imagine him delivering that final line.

Oh man, I can absolutely see this scene being a part of the movie, for sure!

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Nine months to go and still no official confirmation that JW is scoring it. 

I was walking on the street today and it suddenly occurred to me that Spielberg could use just songs from the 60s and 70s instead of an original score.  😱

I know Williams is probably going to do it, but I'll only relax when I see news that he's already conducting the score.

The Variety article mentions that the film is in postproduction. That suggests to me that the score has got to be complete or at least ready to be recorded. I wonder if there's any evidence from JKMS or others about when the recording of the score is taking place (or took place).

Pretty exciting news about Lynch being cast! I say that not as someone who has ever seen him act, but as someone reading everyone else's excited reactions to this news.

A bit odd for someone to join the cast when the film is in post production.  Maybe he narrates?  Or was he already in it and it is just now being announced?  

I'm finally getting a feel for what this film is going to be. I was expecting a family drama about Spielberg's upbringing but I think it'll be more of a love letter to old Hollywood and the art of film-making.

The potential for a great dramatic film score from JW is palpable here... now I really want confirmation he's scoring it :wub:

Pair that with the swords & sandals biblical epic vibe of Indy 5 and this could be JW's most exciting pair of upcoming projects in a long time.

2 hours ago, Bayesian said:

That suggests to me that the score has got to be complete or at least ready to be recorded. I wonder if there's any evidence from JKMS or others about when the recording of the score is taking place (or took place).

I truly hope that is the case. Otherwise, I'm going to enter in panic mode if we get to April and still no word on the score.

10 minutes ago, crypto said:

The potential for a great dramatic film score from JW is palpable here... now I really want confirmation he's scoring it

Me too. 

But I still have the fear that Spielberg might want to try something different and use just period songs from that era.

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I truly hope that is the case. Otherwise, I'm going to enter in panic mode if we get to April and still no word on the score.

Honestly, unless JKMS post something on Instagram, the whole score will probably be written and recorded before we even have confirmation JW is scoring it. Maybe they'll put out a press release listing the full cast & crew once post production ends?

Or maybe we'll be lucky and a few musicians will post pictures on Instagram of the sessions (though probably not, given the tight security and social distancing measures... can't see any celebratory hugging/group photos happening now).

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

But I still have the fear that Spielberg might want to try something different and use just period songs from that era.

Seems incredibly unlikely.  He has literally never made a single film without an original score!

Different theory: Spielberg might be waiting JW's 90th birthday to say something about their collaboration. He could write an essay for Variety or something and finish it with: "he is creating something really special for my next movie".

On 15/10/2021 at 5:03 PM, Disco Stu said:

I’m going to be honest, if Indy 5 somehow makes it so that JW can’t score this, I will always resent the Indy movie for it, I’d be gutted.  If forced to choose, I would rather him do something new than another sequel score.  But I’m also someone who has listened to the final track of The Post more times than any single track from either TLJ or TROS, so take my opinion with a grain of salt :lol:

The whole premise of this should have John  say pass.

On 04/02/2022 at 4:58 PM, Tom said:

A bit odd for someone to join the cast when the film is in post production. 

Casting announcements often lag 6 months to even a year after filming. 

Have you noticed how on the first day of filming they suddenly announce this this and this have joined the cast? Well they couldn't have joined the cast on the first day of shooting right. They obviously joined months ago.

There is a weird PR logic to it all. Cast can't confirm they are in a movie unless it is in Deadline or Vareity or THR.

These days stuff leaks a lot so you know pretty early on. And actors give away the game on SM too. 

But yes Lynch was probably cast a year ago. Before marketing begins a movie has no way to generate news - so they stagger our casting PR.

11 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Casting announcements often lag 6 months to even a year after filming. 

Have you noticed how on the first day of filming they suddenly announce this this and this have joined the cast? Well they couldn't have joined the cast on the first day of shooting right. They obviously joined months ago.

There is a weird PR logic to it all. Cast can't confirm they are in a movie unless it is in Deadline or Vareity or THR.

These days stuff leaks a lot so you know pretty early on. And actors give away the game on SM too. 

But yes Lynch was probably cast a year ago. Before marketing begins a movie has no way to generate news - so they stagger our casting PR.

I guess my issue is with the reporting--these are respected news outlets.  They should simply be accurate and say "Lynch joined the cast," or "Lynch is part of the cast." The present tense "joins" in such a case is misleading and/or false. I suppose it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but I still find it annoying. 

On 4/2/22 at 2:48 PM, mrbellamy said:

RICHARD ATTENBOROUGH

This is a great point, although he’s at least in a slight gray area for my admittedly arbitrary parameters of excluding actors turned directors.  He was certainly revered as a director, but Attenborough was about 30 years into his acting career before he directed a film, and unlike, say, Ron Howard, he continued to act in films after he began directing, right through to the end of his career.

But still, I’m embarrassed I didn’t think about him.

14 hours ago, Romão said:

I was watching this John Ford interview and his speech pattern and voice sound are really, really similar to Lynch's:

Not only that, but he has that whole lugubrious, laid-back style, and, also, a great way of not answering questions.

"I'm not interested in movies now, actually" :lol:.

For someone whose not interested in movies, he's sure made some great ones.

Random pointless observation:

If Fabelmans comes out in November/December and if JW scores it, it will be 3 years since his last film score.  This will be the longest time we've gone without a new Williams score since the Crystal Skull-Tintin gap, which remains the longest gap of his career at ~3.5 years.  Of course if JW does not score Fabelmans, then he will equal that gap when Indy 5 comes out Summer '23.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

This is a great point, although he’s at least in a slight gray area for my admittedly arbitrary parameters of excluding actors turned directors.  He was certainly revered as a director, but Attenborough was about 30 years into his acting career before he directed a film, and unlike, say, Ron Howard, he continued to act in films after he began directing, right through to the end of his career.

But still, I’m embarrassed I didn’t think about him.

It's subjective but yeah I took your parameters to just exclude the "casuals" like Tom Hanks, Tommy Lee Jones, Jemaine Clement, whoever, Seth Rogen and Paul Dano in this very movie. Or say, Ben Stiller who I would call a proper actor-director but obviously not in 1987 and he's barely in Empire of the Sun anyway, stuff like that which are just cheating to pad the list. Attenborough's directing career was robust by 1993, Oscar winner for Picture and Director (beat Spielberg, as we know!), he was cast as a colleague for sure. 

I would agree Lynch and Truffaut are in their own league of "director's directors" who act(ed) very occasionally and usually only for themselves, so it's particularly special that they're in Spielberg movies. But Attenborough and Kassovitz fully count imo, unlike Lucas in Hook or Samuel Fuller/John Landis in 1941 (I forget what those two do in that movie, I assume not much.) I'd equate it to Scorsese getting Spike Jonze, Jon Favreau, and Rob Reiner in Wolf of Wall Street, they have legit character roles and are all "real" directors despite being actors. 

My hunch is if Lynch is indeed playing John Ford in that story of 15-year-old Spielberg meeting him or something like that, it'll still kind of be a cameo since I can't imagine much room for him in the whole narrative, unlike Truffaut, but even a major "one-scene wonder" moment would be something to behold. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Random pointless observation:

If Fabelmans comes out in November/December and if JW scores it, it will be 3 years since his last film score.  This will be the longest time we've gone without a new Williams score since the Crystal Skull-Tintin gap, which remains the longest gap of his career at ~3.5 years.  Of course if JW does not score Fabelmans, then he will equal that gap when Indy 5 comes out Summer '23.

This is the kind of analysis I come here for

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Of course if JW does not score Fabelmans, then he will equal that gap when Indy 5 comes out Summer '23.

Crazy that it'd be an exact match by US release, 3 years and 7 months! May 2008-December 2011 vs December 2019-July 2023.

And SW9-IJ5 would become the longest gap internationally, since Tintin was first released in October. 

5 hours ago, Tom said:

I guess my issue is with the reporting--these are respected news outlets.  They should simply be accurate and say "Lynch joined the cast," or "Lynch is part of the cast." The present tense "joins" in such a case is misleading and/or false. I suppose it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but I still find it annoying. 

It is not a news article. It is a PR piece so it is whatever the studio wants to say.

And as per convention, it will always be present tense. 

Because the news was posted in the John Williams subforum first: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34428-new-article-on-jw-on-variety-the-fabelmans-confirmed-recording-next-month

That thread is certainly blowing up!

Yeppers!  I just commented on that recently:

On 01/02/2022 at 5:47 PM, Jay said:

it has now been FIVE YEARS since the last Williams/Spielberg collaboration!

This is bigger than the previous record of a 4 year gap, which happened between Schindler's List / The Lost World and Lincoln / The BFG!

1 minute ago, mrbellamy said:

I guess technically Lincoln to BFG was the record at 3 years and 8 months, November 2012 to July 2016. 

The Post to The Fabelmans clears it by a full year and change. 4 years and 11 months, December 2017 to November 2022. 

Schindler to Lost World was 3 years and 5 months, December 1993 to May 1997

Indy 4 to Tintin was also 3 years and 5 months, with its October OST and international film release. We Yanks just had to wait another 2 months for the movie. Definitely the worst overall wait with no other JW scores in between. 

This is the kind of analysis I come here for