Kevin Costner’s new epic western “Horizon” (2023)

WampaRat

https://www.thewrap.com/kevin-costner-horizon-western-director/

He (can be) a great director. And really excels in this genre. Wonder who he’ll get to score it? Shame John Barry, Poledouris, and Kamen are all gone now. Wonder if he’ll get James Newton Howard (my pick!) Although it could be Brian Tyler (works on “Yellowstone”).

48 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Dances is the only movie he directed I've seen.  Isn't The Postman supposed to be a notorious stinker?  8% on RT and won the Golden Razzie that year lol

VERY true haha. Hard to believe they were directed by the same guy. I musta blocked that one out.

Open Range was good though. 

He seems to have good taste in music whether directing or producing (at least 20 years ago). Hope he doesn’t take the more “artsy” Johnny Greenwood mode- not that there’s a problem with his music. I just personally prefer a good ole’ fashion tune in my westerns.

I'm one of the few who actually like THE POSTMAN. Saw it up again just a couple of weeks ago (probably my third or fourth viewing). Gorgeous JNH score too. While I would normally go immediately for JNH again, his "sorta similar" NEWS OF THE WORLD two years ago wasn't more than OK.

I have no particular suggestions of composer. I'll assess it when it's out.

55 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

VERY true haha. Hard to believe they were directed by the same guy. I musta blocked that one out.

Open Range was good though. 

He seems to have good taste in music whether directing or producing (at least 20 years ago). Hope he doesn’t take the more “artsy” Johnny Greenwood mode- not that there’s a problem with his music. I just personally prefer a good ole’ fashion tune in my westerns.

He should get Clint Eastwood to do the score.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I'm one of the few who actually like THE POSTMAN. Saw it up again just a couple of weeks ago (probably my third or fourth viewing). Gorgeous JNH score too. While I would normally go immediately for JNH again, his "sorta similar" NEWS OF THE WORLD two years ago wasn't more than OK.

News of the world I quite enjoyed. From a few interviews with JNH he said how excited he was to be doing a western (again) but was wary of needing to do a score full of “low tones” and drones for Greengrass. I think he tried to split the difference as best he could. Ultimately I’m surprised that any melody and folksy-ness made it into the final score at all. 

Costner is a different director than Greengrass. But who knows. He hasn’t directed a film in 20 years or so. So maybe modern scoring trends may hold sway. We’ll get a three hour contemporary western score that’s just a fiddle baaaarley scratching out two solemn notes backed by a single detuned saloon piano plunking out one note. 

But I’d like to remain optimistic.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He should get Clint Eastwood to do the score.

You diseased maniac!😠

I didn't like YELLOWSTONE at all..for the same reasons I didn't like SUCCESSION.

BUT....

I am excited for any new western film.

OPEN RANGE was very good and Costner is always good as an actor.

Don't care who scores it.

Bring it on!

6 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm also a fan of THE POSTMAN Thor, I've told you in person, film and score. I'd love to see JNH return and do a proper Western score if Costner would allow. I mean, if we consider News Of The World the most subtle of 'western', I'm not sure what the most full blasted we can get these days. I'm very drunk. sorry.  

Other hopeful candidates:

Can you imagine a John Powell epic western drama?! Man o man. That would be something. Doubt he’d ever do it. (It’ll probably be too violent for his tastes now days.) But the prospect is mouth watering. 

How about a Howard Shore epic western score? I could see that being all kinds of wonderful. And that “breathing”-like quality to his writing kinda reminds me of John Barry at times. Something like the achingly-beautiful Minas Tirith theme for a Big Sky western.

Man. I’m building myself up for disappointment 😩

This is fantastic news!  Dances is a masterpiece.  I love passion project films.  Like Martin Scorsese's "Silence", such a fantastic film.  Plus these guys have a great sense of pacing and the use of music.  I love the JNH suggestion.

15 hours ago, Stark said:

My money’s on Tyler, which will doubtless result in a competent score that does not leave much impact.

Having listened to some Tyler in the last few years with The Mummy and Yellowstone/1883 and the odd other score, I've come to largely the same conclusion.

It's a bit like with Debney - if you like his sound you'll probably enjoy what he does but it's very rarely notable in any significant way. Likeable enough to buy, but not worth raving about on forums.

Based on News of the World, I reckon JNH would do something more memorable.

On 29/01/2022 at 3:35 PM, Muad'Dib said:

Interesting! I couldn't finish Postman tho, I got soooo bored and I don't think even 20 minutes had gone by.

Are you saying that it did not deliver?  

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.ksl.com/article/50348739/kevin-costner-wants-to-film-5-movies-in-utah-but-theres-a-catch--and-it-hinges-on-lawmakers

Interesting article about the nitty-gritty tax incentives of filming in Utah. But the thing that stuck out is that Costner wants to film 5 movies in the state. Not sure if they are part of a “Horizon Cinematic Universe”🙄 or if they’d just be 5 separate non-related projects.

On 31/01/2022 at 1:26 AM, karelm said:

I love the JNH suggestion.

I may talking out of my ass, but i think these two fell out over 'The Postman', which JNH even poo-poohed in an interview as a lousy movie.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

I may talking out of my ass, but i think these two fell out over 'The Postman', which JNH even poo-poohed in an interview as a lousy movie.

Shame if true even if it doesn't sound like something James Newton Howard would do. He's scored some absolute stinkers in his career but I've never heard/read him speak degradingly of a project.

In any case, I'd love to hear another JNH Western, hopefully something with a little more 'oomph' than News Of The World (though I do like that one).

5 hours ago, WampaRat said:

https://www.ksl.com/article/50348739/kevin-costner-wants-to-film-5-movies-in-utah-but-theres-a-catch--and-it-hinges-on-lawmakers

Interesting article about the nitty-gritty tax incentives of filming in Utah. But the thing that stuck out is that Costner wants to film 5 movies in the state. Not sure if they are part of a “Horizon Cinematic Universe”🙄 or if they’d just be 5 separate non-related projects.

In the US, films are shot in whatever state offers " tax incentives", I.e bribes.

Just like casting is now based on who the Diversity Mafia

says you must cast.

No wonder every film looks the same😒

1 hour ago, LSH said:

Shame if true even if it doesn't sound like something James Newton Howard would do. He's scored some absolute stinkers in his career but I've never heard/read him speak degradingly of a project.

In any case, I'd love to hear another JNH Western, hopefully something with a little more 'oomph' than News Of The World (though I do like that one).

I think I remember him saying something about the Postman not being great in an interview as well, though I don't think he really said it was crap.

41 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

I think I remember him saying something about the Postman not being great in an interview as well, though I don't think he really said it was crap.

No, but it was so close that i deduced that the relationship with Costner was finished by that point.

• 1 year later...

Given the right project and collaborator, I think Debney could still surprise and really soar. He’s been doing great work on The Orville and CutThroat Island is still one of the greatest scores of the 20th century.

Yavar

3 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

COMPOSER ANNOUNCEMENT:

JOHN DEBNEY!

Wonderful news in my opinion.

A very fine choice!  Also one of the kindest people!

Hmm, intriguing. The only other western score I've heard by Debney (that I can remember off the top of my head) is the TV series HATFIELDS & MCCOYS, which wasn't that interesting, but presumably this allows for wider canvasses.

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

So we'll probably get a competent but fairly unremarkable score.

Well, I don't know.

The Passion of Christ is a masterpiece, so I'm optimistic about this score.

Of course, I haven't heard any more Debney, except for Cutthroat Island and maybe something else that I can't remember right now.

Texas Rising is a great score.

Although he worked on it with Bruce Broughton and we don't know who wrote what.

But The Orville has show that Debney can still write these grand orchestral, thematic scores

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Texas Rising is a great score.

Although he worked on it with Bruce Broughton and we don't know who wrote what.

But The Orville has show that Debney can still write these grand orchestral, thematic scores

I was just about to say the same. Texas Rising is terrific, but as you say, it had Bruce Broughton along for the ride who is both an excellent composer for westerns and has a more distinctive sound than John Debney, but as you say, JD's stuff for the Orville is pretty great... we can but hope. It certainly suggests it could be a orchestral and a bit more old fashioned than the aforementioned scratchy violin stuff that is everywhere else.

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

You're right.

Whatever you say about the film, JNH's score for THE POSTMAN was great, and I was looking forward to a reunion.

Sure. And WYATT EARP and WATERWORLD (even though they weren't directed by him). However, JNH's recent western score for NEWS OF THE WORLD was largely a bore, and I had to use my best playlisting skills to weed it down to a workable 36 minutes. This, however, seems to provide greater opportunities than that.

Oh, well. I have faith in Debney.

9 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I find Debney has occasional moments of brilliance, but on balance provides reliable but undistinctive music.

Exactly my opinion on him. He usually does a fine job but nothing that I return to often.

• 1 month later...