Steven Spielberg Developing New Movie Based On Classic Steve McQueen Character Frank Bullitt

SpaceCoyote

Even as he juggles an awards-season campaign for West Side Story and post-production on his semi-autobiographical pic The Fablemans, Steven Spielberg looks to be getting that future dance card in order. Sources tell Deadline that he is attached to direct a new original story centered on Frank Bullitt, the iconic character played by Steve McQueen in the 1968 thriller Bullitt. Spielberg will also produce the pic along with Kristie Macosko Krieger, with Josh Singer on board to pen the script. The film is set up at Warner Bros.

Sources do add that with no script and deals being finalized, this would likely not be the next project Spielberg directs.

Source: https://deadline.com/2022/02/steven-spielbert-bullitt-at-warner-bros-and-amblin-1234960542/

It sounds like Spielberg has projects further along in development than this, so Williams may not be out of the game for too long (if he will indeed be making exceptions for Spielberg, as the latter seemed to be counting on).

One can dream what a Williams score to a film based on a film scored by Lalo Schifrin would sound like, even if it never comes to pass. Personally I think it would be really interesting as Schifrin was more influenced by jazz and Williams grew up with that music himself. It might be a more classically tamed version of what Schifrin did, or you could say a more overtly jazzy version of what Williams might normally do. Either way, would be cool.

• 8 months later...

Soooo this isn't dead in the water...yet. Deadline is reporting that Bradley Cooper is set to play the lead and that the film is still in development. Excerpts from the article:

Steven Spielberg looks to have found his Frank Bullitt as sources tell Deadline Bradley Cooper has closed a deal to play the no-nonsense San Francisco cop in the new original Bullitt story centered on the classic character famously played by Steven McQueen in the 1968 thriller, which is set up at Warner Bros. Cooper will also produce the pic along with Spielberg and his producing partner Kristie Macosko Krieger (marking their second collaboration after Maestro), with Josh Singer on board to pen the script. Steve McQueen’s son, Chad, and granddaughter Molly McQueen will exec produce the new movie.

Sources are adamant this is not a remake of the original film but a new idea centered on the character. [...]

While Cooper’s deal only recently closed, he and Spielberg have been talking about the character and what a new take on the story would look like going all the way back to the pandemic when everyone was stuck in quarantine and had nothing but time on their hands. [...]

Would honestly be a little surprising if a third attempt at Spielberg and Cooper working together winds up fizzling out out or going in a different direction (à la American Sniper and Cooper's own upcoming Bernstein biopic Maestro). Colour me intrigued!

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

He hasn't been around since we met after the Hollywood Bowl concert...

So that could be the plot of the film: "beloved JWFan member goes missing and now the others need to find him out". 

Williams' score will be a mix of suspense music from Minority Report and War of the Worlds.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

So that could be the plot of the film: "beloved JWFan member goes missing and now the others need to find him out". 

Williams' score will be a mix of suspense music from Minority Report and War of the Worlds.

4 hours ago, Positivatee said:

Lalo Schifrin is still alive. Is he still actively composing? 

He's 90 now and pretty much retired, AFAIK (the most recent picture I saw of him was at an Oscar event with Morricone in 2016).

2 hours ago, MaxMovieMan said:

Does anyone think John Williams would score this film? Seems like a long shot.

I can't see Williams scoring this film, personally. At most I could maybe see him writing a theme but handing off the rest to another composer.

25 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Steve, why mess with a classic?

You did it, last year, and look what happened.

Everyone who saw it loved it? But not enough people saw it?

Hey, this is Spielberg's chance to work with David Arnold!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The title of the film is larger in mine

That's our Jay. As always, obsessed with size.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Now, that is an intriguing prospect.

14 hours ago, Tallguy said:

That would be a match made in heaven!

Won't get my hopes up but wow, they'd be fantastic together! Especially with his experience doing Bond movies.

• 11 months later...

Wait, so he's doing the Williams documentary himself? I thought I heard some murmurs awhile back that he wasn't directing it, Tornatore/MAESTRO-style, but that Bouzereau was doing it?

Meanwhile, I'm excited for any Spielberg, but I'm always hoping for original material rather than another remake. BULLIT is fine as it is (so was WEST SIDE STORY, for that matter). If it becomes a reality, however, I wouldn't be opposed to dragging ol' Schifrin out retirement, if he's up for it.

12 hours ago, Tom said:

An interesting quote from the article--nice to see how actively involved he is: "Spielberg is currently editing a documentary centered around his longtime composer, John Williams. That’s been taking up most of his time."

Excellent news, he might get a Best Documentary Oscar nom or even a win for it. Too bad the titles "Maestro" and "The Master" are already taken. How about "Composer of Dreams"? 

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Wait, so he's doing the Williams documentary himself? I thought I heard some murmurs awhile back that he wasn't directing it, Tornatore/MAESTRO-style, but that Bouzereau was doing it?

Perhaps he didn't want to direct it himself because he figures his personal relationship with Williams is too close to make a good documentary if he's controlling the primary material himself, but he's still handling the rest of the project, including editing, sort of post-directing?

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

If our Steve wants to take this forward, he could do worse than cast Damian Lewis, as McQueen.

I've thought for some time that Daniel Craig would be worth considering if a McQueen biopic were to be made. More than a passing resemblance there. 

15 hours ago, Once said:

I wish he was doing more risky projects, like Scorsese is doing. 

I mean, it's not like Bullitt *screams* box-office hit, so why not try something different? Fablemans was a great step in that direction, but I feel like everytime Steven takes a risk, he goes back to something safer.

At this point of his carreer, he should be doing more passion projects.

24 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

mean, it's not like Bullitt *screams* box-office hit, so why not try something different? Fablemans was a great step in that direction, but I feel like everytime Steven takes a risk, he goes back to something safer.

I feel like stylistically, Bullit is new for Spielberg and that alone makes it worth it 

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Maybe he decided to do it himself after all because the strike stopped him from developing other projects?

3 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Bullit remake isn't exactly a run of the mill idea. I wonder how similar/different it will be to/from the original (even more so with Heat having already copied the airport climax). If Spielberg spends so much time planning it, I figure it *is* a passion project for him.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Don't, JTW, just... don't.

What? Spielberg has worked with Zimmer on THE PACIFIC. Don’t you think HZ would write a good score to a JW documentary?