THE ACOLYTE - 2024 Star Wars TV

Jay

I love Abels' BAD EDUCATION, but his scores for the Peele films don't ignite me much (neither do the films themselves, for that matter). Will be interesting to see what he brings to the STAR WARS table.

On 21/02/2024 at 4:53 PM, HunterTech said:

It's definitely an interesting pick. I certainly appreciated how varied Nope was in its sound, even if the standout track was one that he'd already written years prior:

8 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Oo he's got orchestral chops, that could bode well indeed

I still really dig the original 10+ min concert piece which is on YouTube (the same performance Jordan Peele ran across, apparently!)

So awesome.

My favorite new music in Nope is honestly his Morricone western homage...one of the very best I have ever heard.

Yavar

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

The final shot of all the Jedi going to confront the single Sith (which means most of them will probably get slaughtered) reminds me of Obi-Wan's line to Palpatine in ROTS: "Sith Lords are our specialty".

No, you moron, they're not! One Sith has been shown to be capable of soloing two or more Jedi for, what, centuries now?!? Even in the context of ROTS that line is funny because they haven't been able to defeat Dooku for 5 years or so and two minutes later Obi-Wan himself gets knocked out by the Count.

Classic Jedi hubris.

People are discussing the possibility that the series may feature a young Darth Plagueis... Is it true? Finally, we'll get to see his Master for sure... Darth Tenebrous?

Unfortunately for us, these Sith will be portrayed by humans wearing plastic or CGI masks... :mellow:

image.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Unfortunately for us, these Sith will be portrayed by humans wearing plastic or CGI masks... :mellow:

image.jpeg

What else should they do? Plastic surgery?

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

People are discussing the possibility that the series may feature a young Darth Plagueis... Is it true? Finally, we'll get to see his Master for sure... Darth Tenebrous?

image.jpeg

Leslie has said in a new interview (THR or for Star Wars .com) that she implemented EU lore in the series, and that it plays a big part in the beginning and end of the show... what exactly is stilm a mystery, could just be an EU alien.

I've been reading The High Republic books and comics, and they got me way excited for this series, hope it's good and draws more people to the books. (They are not really necessary for the show, since it takes place a hundred years in the future)

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Since when has disney cared about continuity and not contradicting the movies?

Well....there's probably at least one example....can't think of any right now though 😅

When exactly did they not? I can call many sins on Disney Star Wars but flagrantly contradicting 1-6 isn't one I can think of.

What contradicts the movies in Obi-Wan?

Btw, The Sith were never extinct - they were always surviving two by two until Palpatine’s age.  You can posit that, for instance, they were having similar machinations to what you see in canon media between 1-6 - Sith killing Sith to become “the master,” non-Sith darksiders squabbling for a position like Ventress, non-Sith insiders working for the cause like the inquisitors.  You could also have them leave no surviving witness.

But a dark side user doesn’t have to be a member of the Sith cult to be a jerk to some Jedi.

11 minutes ago, mstrox said:

What contradicts the movies in Obi-Wan?

"When I left you, I was your apprentice. Now I am the master."

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

I can call many sins on Disney Star Wars but flagrantly contradicting 1-6 isn't one I can think of.

The biggest sin of Disney Star Wars was ruining the whole tragic of Darth Vader who became evil because as a powerful Jedi he could not save the ones he loved from death and then in episode 9 suddenly Rey could heal deadly wounds and even bring back Kylo Ren from the dead. Or was it the other way round? I don't remember. But this made everything random and senseless and bullshit.

9 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The biggest sin of Disney Star Wars was ruining the whole tragic of Darth Vader who became evil because as a powerful Jedi he could not save the ones he loved from death and then in episode 9 suddenly Rey could heal deadly wounds and even bring back Kylo Ren from the dead.

Nah it's destroying everything the OT crew worked for and making Vader's ultimate turn and sacrifice pretty much completely irrelevant if Palpatine just somehow returns.

16 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

"When I left you, I was your apprentice. Now I am the master.".

That didn’t strike me as a conflict - the actual line was “I was but a learner,” a little more vague and perfect for a Star Wars “certain point of view” approach.  In Obi-Wan, he got a lesson all right.

18 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

"When I left you, I was your apprentice. Now I am the master."

Don't contradict the movies. "When I left you I was but a learner, now I am the master."

9 minutes ago, Holko said:

Nah it's destroying everything the OT crew worked for and making Vader's ultimate turn and sacrifice pretty much completely irrelevant if Palpatine just somehow returns.

That's not a contradiction, that's just stupid.

20 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The biggest sin of Disney Star Wars was ruining the whole tragic of Darth Vader who became evil because as a powerful Jedi he could not save the ones he loved from death and then in episode 9 suddenly Rey could heal deadly wounds and even bring back Kylo Ren from the dead. Or was it the other way round? I don't remember. But this made everything random and senseless and bullshit.

The tragedy (such as it is) of Anakin Skywalker is that he is misled into thinking that he is powerless unless he makes these society destroying choices. And then he is still powerless. Which IMHO is a contradiction of the OT by turning Darth Vader from a bold and malevolent leader to a weak and easily duped follower.

Perhaps the tragedy is that he could have done exactly what Rey did if he never followed the obviously suspect teachings of a corrupt Sith Lord / Chancellor of the Republic.

The tragedy is that while The Rise of Skywalker is a fun and momentarily enjoyable film it's still monumentally stupid even on the sliding scale of a Star Wars movie. At no point do I watch this film and say "Well. I just don't care about Darth Vader at all anymore!"

As for some sort of Sith thing in The Acolyte: This is hundreds of years in the past. (Right?) The Jedi Order in the PT lost a planet and somehow accidentally ordered a clone army. Maybe they forgot about a Sith encounter here and there over the millennia.

16 minutes ago, mstrox said:

That didn’t strike me as a conflict - the actual line was “I was but a learner,” a little more vague and perfect for a Star Wars “certain point of view” approach.  In Obi-Wan, he got a lesson all right.

What he said. Also: It was better when it was Ahsoka in Rebels.

So I hear there is yet another Disney Star Wars streaming show. 

What's crazy to me other than Disney still milking this poor dead cow, is the fact that there are still any fans left of this bastardized and humiliated car crash of a franchise that used to be one of the greatest, groundbreaking film trilogies ever made.

22 hours ago, Holko said:

Exactly.

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

They have have burnt bridges so bad that I'd rather shit in my hands and clap than watch any SW content from Disney.

I don't think that my exact thoughts have ever been put so eloquently. :D

On 21/3/2024 at 6:11 AM, Tallguy said:

I can call many sins on Disney Star Wars but flagrantly contradicting 1-6 isn't one I can think of.

Luke Skywalker's a walking contradiction.

#NotMyLukeSkywalker

25 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

#NotMyLukeSkywalker

I will defend TLJ's Luke with my dying breath. Again, not a contradiction. It just didn't go the way you thought it would. Also he dies selflessly defending the Rebeli-Resist-- Some kind of R word.

Now, did it contradict the end of The Force Awakens? A smidge.

34 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

#NotMyLukeSkywalker

#JakeSkywalker

This IS the Luke Skywalker who, if the Empire hadn't messed up HIS little corner of the universe, would have left the Princess rotting in her cell, yes?

This IS the Luke Skywalker who, when confronted with Darth Vader and the possible truth of his parentage (and losing a hand) decided that it was better to TAKE HIS OWN LIFE and then wound up saved by luck, yes?

Jedi, Jedi, Jedi... The two Jedi I knew of from George Lucas' Star Wars when the Empire was on the rise WENT AND HID at the ends of the galaxy for 20 years. Keeping a polite distance from ONE of the two Skywalker twins. Mostly.

No, that is Jake Skywalker.

THIS is Luke Skywalker:

IMG_0165.gif

20 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

decided that it was better to TAKE HIS OWN LIFE

That was one of the bravest acts I’ve ever seen in a film. Willing to sacrifice your own life rather than being taken as a prisoner before your enemy to be used against your friends and allies is what a true martyr does. He wouldn’t give into Vader and be a pawn of the Emperor when he wasn’t ready yet.

But in RotJ a wiser and stronger Luke DOES confront Vader and lets him capture him and take him to the Emperor, because then he was ready, or more ready, and because Yoda told him that he needed to face Vader in order to become a Jedi. So Luke did that. And he saved his father from the Dark Side by not wanting to fight and kill his father, and thus making his father realize how much his son means to him when the Emperor was about to kill him. What a beautiful character arch, both for Luke and Vader/Anakin. 
And the “sequels” destroyed all of it by “somehow” bringing Palpatine back. 

24 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I will defend TLJ's Luke with my dying breath. Again, not a contradiction. It just didn't go the way you thought it would.

Luke not giving up on his father—who wasn't a future mass-murderer, but a confirmed mass-murderer—but succumbing to raising a lightsaber to kill his nephew, because of some vague premonition of what might happen, is a contradiction and totally undermines Luke's character.

"But he had a moment of weakness"...

That might fly if he was a novice that hadn't yet mastered his emotions vis-à-vis the Force, but this was Luke Skywalker—Jedi Master.

And yeah, sure, because of his "intense shame," he selfishly decided to exile himself and leave his sister behind to fight the "First Order" alone...

Exiling Luke was just a lazy story contrivance to keep him out of the first movie to put the focus on Rey. Somebody try to deny that.

Nope. Take your "subverted expectations" and stick 'em where the twin suns don't shine, Rian—Mr. I Like To Anger The Audience Because It's More Interesting To Me.

image.gif

15 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Luke not giving up on his father—who wasn't a future mass-murderer, but a confirmed mass-murderer—but succumbing to raising a lightsaber to kill his nephew, because of some vague premonition of what might happen, is a contradiction and totally undermines Luke's character.

"But he had a moment of weakness"...

That might fly if he was a novice that hadn't yet mastered his emotions vis-à-vis the Force, but this was Luke Skywalker—Jedi Master.

And yeah, sure, because of his "intense shame," he selfishly decided to exile himself and leave his sister behind to fight the "First Order" alone...

Exiling Luke was just a lazy story contrivance to keep him out of the first movie to put the focus on Rey. Somebody try to deny that.

Nope. Take your "subverted expectations" and stick 'em where the twin suns don't shine, Rian—Mr. I Like To Anger The Audience Because It's More Interesting To Me.

image.gif

A Skywalker running away / doing a galaxy changing act just because of a premonition of some kind?

image.jpeg

He's removing himself from the situation by "hiding". Again, not something I agree with, but not out of character for a person we saw three times and was WILDLY different each time - Return of the Jedi Luke is a totally different character from even The Empire Strikes Back. It works really well if you accept that Luke really does have delusions of grandeur.

I've sung this song before, but JJ had no idea why Luke was hiding. And Rian came up with something that was at least interesting. (And gave Hamill something to perform to!) And also pretty Star Wars-y. (A Jedi master hiding out and being hunted by all sides because something has gone wrong in the Galaxy? Forsooth, you say!)

The really bad part of all of it is that if you're going to bring back The Original Cast then actually put them in a SCENE together. Of course, that's something that Return of the Jedi or even The Empire Strikes Back didn't do very well either. JJ and Rian didn't do it at ALL. JJ closed the door when he (and Ford) killed Han. And life (and a lot of drugs) nailed it shut with Fisher's passing.