John Williams 2023 Tanglewood concerts

Falstaft

1 hour ago, Foxfan said:

I don’t know if the video portion got saved anywhere (maybe some secret archive), but as for the sound mix, perhaps they record everything out of an abundance of caution so whatever turns out to be his final concert, a recording will exist ready to be released, just like Leonard Bernstein (whose August 1990 Tanglewood performance unexpectedly turned out to be his last)? :( 

I'm sure what they film at Tanglewood to show on video screens is preserved in the archives - that's not a problem, they don't need tape for that, just some space on a computer or a hard disc.

They may not be planning anything, but knowing that these recordings exist gives me hope that sooner or later they will be released. For example, last year's 'Tanglewood on Parade' was filmed by at least seven cameras - some moving. This is enough to assemble a concert to watch at home.

3 hours ago, Foxfan said:

I don’t know if the video portion got saved anywhere (maybe some secret archive), but as for the sound mix, perhaps they record everything out of an abundance of caution so whatever turns out to be his final concert, a recording will exist ready to be released, just like Leonard Bernstein (whose August 1990 Tanglewood performance unexpectedly turned out to be his last)? :( 

IMG_4616.jpeg

Not having kids certainly helps. But like many things in life, it’s about prioritizing what you really want to do and make the necessary sacrifices wherever possible to make it happen.

The first Williams concert I saw in Boston (and quite a few that followed) involved me taking the overnight Greyhound bus from Montreal to Boston and then taking the overnight bus home post-concert as well.

In Philly last year I used a free night certificate from a hotel chain for which I have a co-branded credit card.

My hotel stay last night was also covered by points, but living even further away now, I had to drive 15 hours round-trip this past weekend. Not many would willingly put themselves through the inconvenience, but a devoted fan might.

The video is obviously archived, just like the audio. We get some video excerpts of many of these concerts on social media.

Regarding the Bernstein example:

a) Bernstein had everything recorded. The Tanglewood appearances were done in conjunction with WCRB, but only licensed for a single broadcast. The 2012 75 anniversary project, featuring 75 recordings from the BSO archives, most of them from radio broadcasts, included two Bernstein conducted performances that were available for just a couple of months, as the primary rights older is Deutsch Gammophone;

b) the 1990 concert wasn't an unexpected last concert, much the opposite. The premiere of the orchestral (with soloists) version of Arias and Barcarolles had to be conducted by then BSO assistant Carl St. Clair, with Bernstein conducting the Britten and Beethoven only. During the latter he stopped a few times as he lacked the strength but his beloved BSO kept on playing and the old conductor would pick up a few bars later... The Britten was a deliberate choice has he gave the US premiere decades earlier at Tanglewood of Peter Grimes, the opera from which derive the Four Sea Interludes. That early career premiere was a landmark for Bernstein and having this performed on what was feared to be his last Tanglewood appearance kind of made things come full circle,

c) Bernstein had been very ill for a few years and in 1990 everyone was well aware the end was very close, even though he was only 72. Bernstein lived a very busy life, with little rest and way too much smoking. Having special care with the program of that final concert was the result of a sad but very educated guess. As for having it recorded, for at least a decade, as mentioned above, his contract always demanded the performance to be recorded.

15 hours ago, Guillaume said:

What a concert !! We were so Lucky to be in front of the maestro and interact with him. 

And duel of the fates was just perfect.

So happy to have meet jw fans friends. 

20230805_223700.jpg

Just a quick question re the wooden (oaken?) rostrum seen so clearly on this picture:

I can remember seeing this model specifically with Andris Nelsons on tour through Europe (at the Gewandhaus Leipzig) several years ago. More recently I haven't seen it outside of Boston / Tanglewood.

Is this something that was custom built for Nelsons / for BSO or is that just coincidence and there are many similar models at various locations worldwide?

OMG, that reminds me!  During "Superman", a montage of Williams at various recording sessions and other places was shown, and I swear I saw you in the video!  Did you interact with him in the recording booth for the Hooten recording?

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

OMG, that reminds me!  During "Superman", a montage of Williams at various recording sessions and other places was shown, and I swear I saw you in the video!  Did you interact with him in the recording booth for the Hooten recording?

LOL!!  Yes, very briefly at the end of the session, just as he walked back into the booth.  I interacted more with Shawn Murphy and Bob Wolff (music editor) in the booth throughout the session, opting not to be out on the recording stage during the session.  I felt more comfortable being near the recording/tech side of things, and I was able to hear everything going on with Williams and the musicians from the booth anyway.  Had I been on the recording stage, I wouldn't have been privy to what was going on in the booth.

BTW, I suspect that the film montage you saw was the same as the one I saw at the 90th Birthday Celebration concert at the Kennedy Center last June.  Sounds like the content was the same.

Yea, I'm sure it was the same.  How cool that you are immortalized forever through this video, that will surely be shown for years to come!

2 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Just a quick question re the wooden (oaken?) rostrum seen so clearly on this picture:

I can remember seeing this model specifically with Andris Nelsons on tour through Europe (at the Gewandhaus Leipzig) several years ago. More recently I haven't seen it outside of Boston / Tanglewood.

Is this something that was custom built for Nelsons / for BSO or is that just coincidence and there are many similar models at various locations worldwide?

Looks like that rostrum is attached to BSO and has travelled around quite a bit...

Andris Nelsons leads the BSO in Leipzig on the 2016 European Tour. (Courtesy Gert Mothes)

Andris Nelsons leads the BSO in Leipzig on the 2016 European Tour. (Courtesy Gert Mothes)

On 6/8/2023 at 5:55 AM, rpvee said:

I can now say I’ve reminded John Williams which Star Wars film his music is from. Once at Carnegie Hall last year, and again tonight! 😂

Absolutely stunning night. Maybe my favorite concert of his I’ve been to. The program was perfect. The choir was epic and Duel of the Fates gave me chills as a dream I’d had since childhood came true. I was directly in front of Williams and had more interactions with him than I ever have before (including reminding him which Star Wars “The Asteroid Field” is from).

I’m glowing!

EDIT: Also, Duel of the Fates’ ending used the alternate version where the choir went up an octave mid-note. Someone here can probably explain it much better than me. Anakin’s Theme got reworked a bit, too!

My pics:

IMG_4005.jpegIMG_4024.jpegIMG_4021.jpegIMG_4004.jpegIMG_4009.jpegIMG_3999.jpeg

Great photos! A question: Has JW lost weight? He looks thinner. Maybe it’s the white jacket, or that he’s not wearing glasses. :)

On 06/08/2023 at 12:15 AM, Pawel P. said:

I wonder about a few names mentioned in the program, especially Shawn Murphy as a live sound engineer. Please tell me this concert was professionally filmed.

I suppose the first question is whether this is unusual for Murphy.  If he is part of film nights generally, then no reason to think anything. If this is not typical, then it might have significance in terms of a recording.  

13 minutes ago, rpvee said:

Not to add to speculation, but… 👀

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cvf_U3rpGrL/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

The company he’s part of works in documentaries.

For those without Instagram:

IMG_4115.jpeg

He’s the director of the JW’s documentary. They where supposed to record his NY concert but didn’t in the end, maybe they did this one.

7 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Looks like that rostrum is attached to BSO and has travelled around quite a bit...

Yeah unless they have duplicates, they must take the rostrum from Symphony Hall everywhere the orchestra goes. The railing, however, comes on/off based on the wishes of the conductor. Williams and Nelsons keep it, whereas Lockhart usually goes without it.

Oh man, yeah, thanks for reminding me of that.  It was so interesting watch him ramble about Phoebe and her theme from a few feet away, and then yep, he really just kinda petered out and it was so funny watching him go "OK..." and put the mic down and then like immediately start the piece.  I even said out loud quickly to either@Foxfan or @Smeltington whoever was next to me at the time "wow, he really ran out of steam there"

2 hours ago, Andy said:

My favorite was Johnny getting verbose before the encore of E.T., in which he grabbed the mic and simply said, “E.T.!” :lol:

I was just about to bring this up, this was probably the funniest thing he said that night:lol:

4 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I will say, the one cute old man thing he did that my wife got a kick out of was when he was introducing Helena's Theme, it was like he ran out of things to say about it so after a slight pause he just goes "......okay......" and turns around to start the piece. 

This year at the CSO, he did his entire preamble to "The Duel" without his mic which is probably the most "old man" thing I've seen him do

1 hour ago, DangerMotif said:

I assume they don’t have any of the JW swag this year?

Nope, only last year because of his birthday.

The recording quality of the broadcast is stellar!  I'm noticing little orchestral details left and right in arrangements I though I knew by heart!

1 hour ago, Andy said:

My favorite was Johnny getting verbose before the encore of E.T., in which he grabbed the mic and simply said, “E.T.!” :lol:

Yes!! By now, that masterpiece needs no introduction. The crowd went wild. And the performance of the fanfare at the end was absolutely spot on!

We could tell by his face that he was definitely exhausted by the time Imperial March was done. The second part of the program was quite long in comparison to other split-podium concerts I've attended in the past few years.

In Philadelphia he stopped after ET and saved his energy for the next day's concert at Carnegie Hall.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Am I the only idiot who bought a Tanglewood baton from the gift shop?:lol:

Don't worry. We've all done it at some point. :lol2:

2 hours ago, Andy said:

Am I the only idiot who bought a Tanglewood baton from the gift shop?:lol:

I held it in my hands, thought about it, then put it back. My air conducting days are behind me! 😄

So did you get the one with the bulbous end, or slender end? Dying to know... 😂

3 hours ago, Smeltington said:

There was also a very blasé looking cellist who acted like he was "over it" through the entire show...

And here he is, looking like he'd rather be someplace else! I thought his dour expression was hilarious. Although I did see him share a smile with another cellist when playing the Superman March...

rpvee, those are your hands applauding!

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh man, yeah, thanks for reminding me of that.  It was so interesting watch him ramble about Phoebe and her theme from a few feet away, and then yep, he really just kinda petered out and it was so funny watching him go "OK..." and put the mic down and then like immediately start the piece.  I even said out loud quickly to either@Foxfan or @Smeltington whoever was next to me at the time "wow, he really ran out of steam there"

Perhaps he was thinking of Daisy while rambling about Phoebe.

4 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Perhaps he was thinking of Daisy while rambling about Phoebe.

That thought actually occurred to me lol. I wouldn't be surprised if he mixed up their names in a future concert intro.

10 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Maybe we can get something planned a little better next year so we can have more than three of us together at a time.

We really should! If we all planned to arrive right when the gates open, we'd have a good bit of time to chat before the concert starts.

Anybody going to Tanglewood on Parade today, other than me and @rpvee?

13 hours ago, Smeltington said:

@Marian Schedenig Dude I wish you could hear the never ending compliments people give me when I wear that shirt!! I usually respond by telling them it was only available for one day haha. Highly collectible. You really should try and put it back up somewhere... I'd give people the link left and right. I was hanging out in Stockbridge and people there kept coming up to me... one guy even wanted a picture. I also had a nice convo with another guy who was a composer, plus a whole bunch of others, all because of this shirt.

Ha! At least Joe Kraemer should have one. ;) I guess I'll try and see if I find a new host to make a new edition… but first I have to decide on a film/font for a Goldsmith version.

You had the best interaction with the Episode V reminder. You beat me to it!

Wow, you're back at Tanglewood! Now that I'm back home, it all seems so far away...

Well, have a blast! (1812 overture cannon pun intended)

2 hours ago, Andy said:

If anyone is interested, here is where we went Sunday after Tanglewood.  Warning: nerd overload ahead. 

Star Trek Set Tour

That definitely beats the dairy farm I visited near my inn. 😆

I'm not a 'Trekker,' but I've got a soft spot for the original series, and Shatner's my homeboy from Montreal!

That tour looks pretty cool though, and would definitely bring out my Shatner impression...which is more an impression of Kevin Pollak doing an impression of him.