Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney Records Original Soundtrack Album) - NO FILM SPOILERS!

Jay

2 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

What are the chances that someone else could have written the exact same thing (same notes, rhythms, orchestrations) that Williams came up with?

We'll never know but it's a very populist thing to say around here. But I'll leave that there as we're all enjoying this new score.

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

We'll never know but it's a very populist thing to say around here. But I'll leave that there as we're all enjoying this new score.

Nah, I know what you mean. To be fair, I’m partially trolling.

Track 2 -Helena's Theme. Nice to hear in good sound quality but I prefer the flute opening of the version he played in concerts than the piano . Somewhat disappointed by this because the 1940's style piano sounds a bit jarring and out of place.

Just now, King Mark said:

Track 2 -Helena's Theme. Nice to hear in good sound quality but I prefer the flute opening of the version he played in concert than the piano 

Yeah, I think it's out of place there, since it doesn't reappear (?) IIRC in the entire track.

Track 3: Germany 1944: Re-hash last crusade music wasting disk space. So is the Indy coda at the end  . Not different enough from the original versions

7 minutes ago, Brónach said:

great now we need another version

He performs it at enough concerts these days that we can only hope DG picks up one of them for release!

I'm 45 minutes in and my only real criticism is jumping around a lot within a cue - Mangold evidently directed in a style where particular moments and ideas couldn't linger and develop before the scene moved on.

I'm going to predict Williams was a lot more inspired by this film than KotCS.

7 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Track 3: Germany 1944: Re-hash last crusade music wasting disk space. So is the Indy coda at the end

Sounds to me like they re-recorded those ROTLA and TLC bits for the specific purpose of editing them together and thus recreating the temp track. The On the Tank bits, for example, perfectly match the original recording in terms of tempo.

Don't quote me on this though, it's just a guess. :P

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm 45 minutes in and my only real criticism is jumping around a lot within a cue - Mangold evidently directed in a style where particular moments and ideas couldn't linger and develop before the scene moved on.

Wasn't it the same in the Star Wars sequel scores?

5-Voller Returns :Secret Doors and Scorpions type of cue . That's the type of music you want on an expanded edition but I have a feeling it's steaking the place of a great highlight

5 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Wasn't it the same in the Star Wars sequel scores?

Can't comment - never listened to those much. I have a stronger attachment to Indy music.

4 minutes ago, King Mark said:

5-Voller Returns :Secret Doors and Scorpions type of cue . That's the type of music you want on an expanded edition but I have a feeling it's steaking the place of a great highlight

That cue's way better than SDaS. I think tracks 11-13 are this album's equivalent of KotCS's dull underscory section, and this section is only 10 mins and has plenty of 'things' going on.

9 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

He performs it at enough concerts these days that we can only hope DG picks up one of them for release!

the stuff with the revised concert pieces and the additional concert pieces not in the original recording sessions will always drive me insane

40 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

To Athens is indeed an excellent map cue (well, the second half is) although I'm going to gently push back on the comment above '(nobody else working today could have done it'). The idea that no other composer alive could write that is... well... silly.

It's more about taste than ability. 

I'll probably lose the ASM version and put the normal version in its place as a nice post-march coda. Perhaps as I get more familiar I may start to enjoy the ASM version - time will tell. I'm just not sure this was the way to introduce ASM to the soundtrack world on a release.

Particularly as we get introduced to the theme in various places, then right at the end we get the entire thing as a sign-off. No need to have it twice.

3 minutes ago, Snowster said:

The Airport.

I am not surprised to read that response as I thought that was the best moment in the film musically (of which there are a lot). 

4 minutes ago, King Mark said:

6-Auction at Hotel Atlantique. Mix of No Ticket ,Tintin and Whirl through the Academy. Enjoyable

I'm pretty sure this cue was temped with Tintin, and JW had to follow the temp closely.

5 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

So, Helena's theme with the violin, is really a bonus track, right?

I mean it doesn't appear in the film's end credits, right?

Apparently yeah, which makes it even sadder that it is taking space from other cues in the album.

I mean, it doesn't even have an end titles suite? That's got to be a first for an Indy OST, right?

I'm not particularly latching onto a prominent theme for Voller - there are some things happening in track 5, but nothing that seems to reappear. Anyone any ideas?

After a nearly full listen I'd put this down as a solid 4 stars. A few slightly intangible things, plus the obvious temp tracking/re-recordings and slightly unbalanced nature of some cues prevent it being 5 stars in my book. Plus there isn't a huge, extended action set piece like Jungle Chase - the film seems to move around too much for that.

8 minutes ago, King Mark said:

6-Auction at Hotel Atlantique. Mix of No Ticket ,Tintin and Whirl through the Academy. Enjoyable

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I'm pretty sure this cue was temped with Tintin, and JW had to follow the temp closely.

I'm with KM on this one. Whether or not it is a result of temp tracking, it is a nice track as it's own. Just to add some more thought and/or confusion, I mentally re-visited HA and the Wet Bandits on my fist listen during the first minute of this particular track... :lol:

Why can’t they release the soundtracks the same hour in the entire world ? It’s horrible, reading all those reactions and not being able to listen to the album !

09-Perils of the Deep. Mystery motifs and Marion's Theme (wtf?)

8 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

The melody at 4:10 onwards in Prologue is reminding me of something and I can't place it...

Please don't tell me it appears nowhere else. This is the absolute best part of the album so far.

10-Water Ballet: Lots of mysterious things going on and action material at the end. Pretty good.

7 minutes ago, King Mark said:

09-Perils of the Deep. Mystery motifs and Marion's Theme (wtf?)

Thank you for noticing that!

I thought it was just me.

Whatever is that doing there??

35 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I liked the Goldsmith Planet of the Apes-style woodwinds and percussion in 2:50 of Water Ballet. Does anyone know which instrument is this?

Sounds like some various high-pitched wood blocks and/or temple blocks:

This whole track has some particularly striking orchestrations, right?

11-Polybius cypher: Busy cue interesting bits but a bit generic

4 minutes ago, Courtney said:

Fingers crossed for a score only version of the movie like The Last Jedi.

That only happened ONCE in the history of JWfan and I bet it happened with Williams not knowing about it or he would have vetoed it.  Slim chance. 

9 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Please don't tell me it appears nowhere else. This is the absolute best part of the album so far.

Don't worry, I can tell you that it appears somewhere else ;)

2 minutes ago, King Mark said:

11-Polybius cypher: Busy cue interesting bits

That only happened ONCE in the history of JWfan and I bet it happened with Williams not knowing about it or he would have vetoed it.  Slim chance. 

Pain

Why does John like making us sad? Smh

12-The Grafikos. First half has really interesting mysterious music ,followed by Nocturnal Activities copy and then then a cool mini motif

13-Archimedes Tomb. Ah finally my favorite new theme returns, except not enough of it.

14-The Airport. I assume this scores a confrontation in an Airport and Indy steals an airplane. One of the highlight tracks so far but I bet the unreleased music when he takes off in the plane is even better.

Has JW ever created so many variations on one theme in a score before? I don´t think even Rey´s Theme was showcased this much.