Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny clips with Williams score

Jay

cool timpani roll, and then the horns at the end of the clip are pretty sweet. 

I wasn't going to watch it but my curiosity got the best of me-this scene looks like it'll be a lot of fun, visuals look cool, Ford and Bridge are going to be a fun duo. Music is nice and mysterious for the setting. I can't wait for this movie!

Somehow I don't feel the need to listen to parts of the score before the actual release.

Helena's Theme was an exception because the Maestro premiered it at the Bowl (I love the theme), but that was more than enough as an appetizer before the main course.

The less I know about the score, the more I'll be able to enjoy it when it's released in a week or two. 

I still can't believe that we're getting another Indiana Jones score by John Williams. We are very lucky. 

Ps: Too bad I couldn't care less about the film itself. Its only merit is that it created the opportunity for Williams to have another take on one of his most iconic musical universes. 

Interesting they've added subtitles...or they are  auto-added in YouTube?

I've often found Harrison Ford hard to understand (as he seems to mumble) - so subtitles are helpful...or is it just my ears?

What does everyone think of the mix. This isn't how you are going to hear it in the cinema but I'd say it's representative. You are generally able to hear the score and even make out instruments.

17 hours ago, Edmilson said:

She died in 1938.

Or did she? That Knight Templar could have been very lonely after being alone all that centuries in the temple. Maybe she chose… wisely.

That reminds me how I got a real chuckle when I recently discovered this video had been saved for God knows how long in my "Watch Later" on YouTube 

I still haven't watched it 

6 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

He looks just like our John Williams, in an (incorrect) Indy hat!

...and with a shaven moustache...and with glasses.

To me, it does not sound like he wrote something that incidentally sounded like it. It sounds like he started with the sheet music for Spyders, changed some notes, and called it a cue.

2 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

To me, it does not sound like he wrote something that incidentally sounded like it. It sounds like he started with the sheet music for Spyders, changed some notes, and called it a cue.

yeah he did this with KOTCS and War of the Worlds too

It's about as close as the Chase Through Coruscant music showing up in HPCOS's Quidditch music

2 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

yeah he did this with KOTCS and War of the Worlds too

I know the moment you are talking about, but it seems like we already have multiple examples of this happening just in the 5 minutes or so of clips released from Dial. That’s… troubling. Will wait to hear the whole thing before passing judgment, of course.

All the clips released have been action based, there's bound to be plenty of completely original sounding music in plenty of scenes that aren't "pre-release hype clip" worthy

1 minute ago, Taikomochi said:

I know the moment you are talking about, but it seems like we already have multiple examples of this happening just in the 5 minutes or so of clips released from Dial. That’s… troubling. Will wait to hear the whole thing before passing judgment, of course.

yeah i hear ya. i give him a pass though, just on age

he's earned it (the understatement of the century)

Also that bit in the new featurette was like 100% Tintin. Whatever, it sounded great. I honestly prefer a new take on a distinct idea from another score rather than ‘meandering-along’ action music without much identity. And like others have said, the non-action moments will probably feature  the more profound musical moments anyway.

So do you think this is Williams just James Horner-ing? Or was he told to stick with the temp-track? Or maybe this is what many people think that happened with CoS: Ross adapting older JW cues to fit a new movie? I personally do not believe in the latter neither on Chamber nor here, but still.

I'd say we don't have enough information yet to know what happened

What we do know is that Mangold said JW was originally going to only do themes and some scenes, but then later agreed to do everything.

So they probably had temp-track music (probably entirely JW compositions) in place for scenes that he was not originally going to score.  And when he agreed to score the entire film later, he probably stuck close to the temp track a few times for whatever reason.  There's probably less of this type of music across the entire film than the officially released clips would make it seem.

19 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

So do you think this is Williams just James Horner-ing? Or was he told to stick with the temp-track? Or maybe this is what many people think that happened with CoS: Ross adapting older JW cues to fit a new movie? I personally do not believe in the latter neither on Chamber nor here, but still.

Temp-track love.  The music at the beginning of the featurette and then again when the movie was shown along with the orchestra sounded 100% fresh to me.  I think most the score will sound new (albeit familiar, as he is not going to reinvent the wheel), but is going to have the above temp-track moments here and there as well.  

It will be interesting to see how he crafts the OST album.  I personally would hope it entirely relies on original material (apart from end credits), but I imagine there's plenty of people who want these Tintin and Minority Report, etc bits.

Yeah, that has an action version of Emperor's theme and cool renditions of Poe's theme. I love the purcussion during the light speed skipping too. It's a great action cue. Thank the maker for the FYC.

Unlike the sequel trilogy and even Tintin, we now have a long wait until Oscar season and the FYC album. DoD will inevitably have some holy grails so hopefully a lot of them will be on the FYC. If they aren't, it'll be a big disappointment after a long wait.

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Maybe Mangold will want an isolated score track on the blu ray like Rian Johnson wanted for TLJ

I've just asked him about it on Twitter. He occasionally responds to fans although I imagine he is quite busy at the moment.

https://twitter.com/dfenton21/status/1671630093700026370ter.com/dfenton21/status/1671630093700026370?s=20

Well, if he answers you, let us know. But I don't think he will - there are probably so many fans asking him different things about the movie right now, he probably turned off his Twitter notifications :lol:

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Well, if he answers you, let us know. But I don't think he will - there are probably so many fans asking him different things about the movie right now, he probably turned off his Twitter notifications :lol:

I don't think I'll get a reply either unless he has his team filtering for questions about John Williams :lol:

1 hour ago, Alex said:

The music seems very well mixed in that clip. It can be heard very clearly.

Doesn't necessarily mean it'll be the final mix. Sometimes these clips have a temp mix thrown together quicky.

But one can hope.

29 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Doesn't necessarily mean it'll be the final mix. Sometimes these clips have a temp mix thrown together quicky.

But one can hope.

Ironic

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Even just omitting Falcon Flight from TROS is baffling to me.  What a treat we got it on the FYC album, or it'd be a crazy holy grail cue

Speaking of FYCs, we’ve been spoiled by having the FYC very soon after the OST for almost every JW score of the 2010s: only The BFG wasn’t a year-end release (and we sadly still haven’t heard that FYC). So, we’ve got a big wait in store to see exactly what we’re getting with the FYC this time, and obsess over which favorite moments missing from the OST will make it or not…