Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Score in the film) - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

20 hours ago, crumbs said:

Isn't the film version just a microedited version of the OST track? It's missing the biggest statement of Helena's Theme.

it does seem microedited, but the way it's edited makes it sound so much better, and it sounds more romantic.

im sure the film clip will be uploaded in the coming weeks, unless @Manakin Skywalker wants to try to rip the music. obviously you don't have to.

the part in the film I'm referencing is 54:26-54:30 (when Helena covers the dial with her red outfit in her luggage)

3 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

i fucking love you. i will go and like every one of your posts so you randomly win a day.

also ----- that BIT is different from the OST right?!  I've had a fever the past few days but I'm not going insane am i?!?!

4 minutes ago, LB Makes Stuff said:

Anyone notice a Close Encounters-y quote when Sallah rescues Indy? 

YES!

i totally forgot about that the first time I saw it!  it sounds like the beginning to his theme that doesn't exist!

the little clips of unreleased music sound ok. i hope someone is going to share a fan edit because I have a feeling that's the only thing we'll have for the next 20 years

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

So the first cue in New York 1969 ("For Who... Whom?") is indeed pitch-shifted upwards compared to the film version. Look at that frequency line.

image.png

Good catch @LB Makes Stuff, you noticed this yesterday and the spectograms confirmed it.

My hunch is the OST version was pitch-shifted upwards so it crossfaded smoothly into Marion's Theme.

I noticed the same thing with the very ending of Auction at Hotel L'Atlantique. The ending is completely fake on the album, likely taken from another cue and pitch-shifted down several semitones. 

2 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I noticed the same thing with the very ending of Auction at Hotel L'Atlantique. The ending is completely fake on the album, likely taken from another cue and pitch-shifted down several semitones. 

So a repeat of what he did to Approaching the Throne on the TROS OST (appended with the final section of Falcon Flight).

The ending of Centuries Join Hands (when Indy gets punched) is very much revised in the film. You can actually hear where the OST version crossfades into the revised version (called "Patch 1" in the cue list).

18 minutes ago, LB Makes Stuff said:

Oh side note:

is the whole “AIN’T 1939” moment verbatim the Dynamite part of “Polybius Cypher” or not? It sounds the same to me other than it being a separate recording. (Any chances of ripping that?)

No, not quite. This is a very strange one. The orchestration is almost completely identical, but the orchestra is playing much louder. The horns are being played very softly during that section in Polybius Cypher, however in the other scene the horns in particular are playing much louder (and no, it's not just a mixing difference; those horns are being played much more forcefully).

So either he just reused the sheet music for that section, or they tracked in an alternate take. I'm guessing the former.

That’s kind of what I was meaning, but I didn’t type it out right I guess. But yeah, I could tell on my second viewing that it definitely sounded vaguely familiar.

sorry for the edits, things got merged and stupid

26 minutes ago, crumbs said:

So a repeat of what he did to Approaching the Throne on the TROS OST (appended with the final section of Falcon Flight).

Isn't there some cues on the AOTC OST that also does this?

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Spectograms confirm this, which is bizarre because the film ending sounds basically the same.

Maybe to improve flow into the following track? I dunno.

5 hours ago, Signals said:

Isn't there some cues on the AOTC OST that also does this?

Yes, "Love Pledge and The Arena" has a manufactured ending using the end of "Arrival at Kamino".

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I thought this sounded familiar! Funny how after all these years the only way we're getting unreleased Star Wars music is via temp-tracked cues in other films. :lol:

Too bad (not really) it's not an exact match, and not one of the cues we don't have clean

3 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I thought this sounded familiar! Funny how after all these years the only way we're getting unreleased Star Wars music is via temp-tracked cues in other films. :lol:

It's so sad to think that music editors in Hollywood have access to all the unreleased Star Wars music that exists in good quality, but not us the fans. :(

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Now lining up the OST album with the right cue names wasn't terribly hard, but there are 6 spots I couldn't identify.  Anybody recognize these bits?

02:08-02:20 of Germany, 1944 is used at 08:40 when Indy climbs onto the train.

04:05-End of The Grafikos is used at 01:47:59 as Indy & Helena slide down after completing the water displacment puzzle.

On 01/09/2023 at 8:47 AM, CGCJ said:

02:08-02:20 of Germany, 1944 is used at 08:40 when Indy climbs onto the train.

Thanks, I'll check it out! 

On 01/09/2023 at 8:47 AM, CGCJ said:

04:05-End of The Grafikos is used at 01:47:59 as Indy & Helena slide down after completing the water displacment puzzle.

Yeah, I already cleaned that up. 

That whole night after the wonderful concert was so frustrating. It should have been easy for all of us to have gotten together in one place. So bummed it was split into two groups

How many minutes of unreleased score can we estimate? The OST is 67 minutes, but if we take the ASM version of Helena's Theme out, then that's 62 min of movie cues (that is, considering track 02 is on the end credits, I think?).

Of course, there's the alternates, film versions or unknown bits that are in the OST but not the movie, but even taking them into account, that means about half of the music in the movie, I think?

6 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Haven't been keeping up but so do we have any idea how Ross ended up writing "Pulse of the City"? 

I’m thinking that there wasn’t any music originally planned for that scene, but everyone changed their minds last minute and JW just decided to hand it off to Ross. No scandals or plot twists or anything like that.

On 31/08/2023 at 9:01 PM, Edmilson said:

The only post-2019 blockbuster movie I remember having its sessions leaked was Giacchino's Far from Home. Other than that, nothing, especially compared with the previous years, when almost everything used to leak one way or another.

Also, in recent times they tried to fight the leaks by actually releasing longer and almost complete albums (like Balfe's M: I 7, McCreary's Rings of Power or the recent One Piece score). Too bad that Williams' mindset is still stuck in the 90s and the need to curate everything.

I did just remember that the Wonder Woman 84 recording sessions leaked right after the movie came out, so I think that's the most recent example of it happening (or at least the most recent movie, I think FFH leaked more recently). But yeah, an official expanded release is probably our best chance now, which is pretty depressing (but there is some hope given that his Harry Potter scores got that LLLCD release recently, and while HP is definitely the bigger franchise overall I'd say IJ is more iconic in the music department).

Guys, could “Pulse of the city” be a source music instrumental song? It is under “songs” in the end credits. Do they usually credit additional composer’s film cues there? 

and it’s name really evokes a source music composition like jazz or something.

is there anything in the background of the new york bar where helena and indy take a whiskey?