Your First Experience of the Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny Score: Cinema or OST?

Damien F

How will you first experience the score to DoD?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. How will you first experience the score to DoD?

• Listen to the OST before seeing the movie
    • See the movie first then listen to the OST

How are you planning to first experience the score to Dial of Destiny? Will you listen to the album first or will you wait to first experience the score in the movie at the cinema / home media?

The movie opens on Wednesday 28th here in Ireland. I could see it that morning in which case there wouldn't be a big gap for me between the OST release and being able to see the movie. But I think I'm going to have the OST on heavy rotation for a few days and then see the movie during the weekend. I like being very familiar with a new JW OST before seeing the movie in the cinema.

Yeah, I'm still not sure where I'll see the movie, if I see it in theaters (and when, it might not me opening weekend) or just wait for D+ (which has a small chance of happening).

But the minute the OST becomes available, I'll listen to it.

I'll listen to the OST album as soon as I can.

It's never been important to me to go into an anticipated film "pure" without having heard the ost first

6 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I'm gonna wait until I can rent/purchase the movie digitally and set aside a night to enjoy it at home.

You're the biggest Indy fan on the forum and still won't watch the last movie in the franchise at the movie theaters?

Well, I've been to the movie theater for years now, even during the pandemic, and I never had a single bad experience with it. These things that everyone complains about (rude people talking loud, eating popcorn, using cellphones, etc) either didn't happen with me or didn't bother me.

But yeah, to each his own.

Film first for me. When I know I'm going to care about a film and its score, I try to let the film speak for itself first.

I won't sit here and try to justify it, though. Some of my favorite film music from some of my favorite films is stuff I heard prior to watching. Go figure.

Film first.  I’m tied with Bellosh as the biggest Indy fan here and I generally have good theater experiences, especially in IMAX when they turn it up properly.   

I also genuinely care about the film and don’t want the score to color my preconceptions. I’m 99% spoiler free and plan to remain that way. 

I also fell in love with film scores by seeing the movie and wanting to recreate the feelings at home.  I think that’s a part of my DNA as a film music listener, so I will appreciate the score even more after enjoying the film. 

Soundtrack for me. I'm more of a music fan than a film fan, so it's just a no brainer for me. I am, however, really looking forward to seeing the movie. 

I won't go to see the film in the theater. (I believe it will be like Crystal skull, or worse).

So, I'll listen to the ost first when it comes out, and I'll wait for the blu-ray release of the film.

Cinema. Did the same with all the latest Star Wars films. But since I will watch it in the afternoon on the opening day it won't be an issue anyway. Even if the OST is released on Wednesday I won't have time to listen before the film anyway.

Karol

I'm seeing the film in four hours (in IMAX), so no choice, really. But in general, it makes no difference to me what I do first, film or OST.

Tbh, I am not that much interested in the movie. But I am super excited about the score. I think, if anything can give me a fulfilling Indiana Jones nostalgia feeling, then it's listening to the score without the movie.

I am not so excited for the score.

I'll just listen to it, because it's John Williams, but as with the Star Wars scores, I believe that anything that was "said" with the 4 Indiana Jones scores is enough, and a 5th one is superfluous.

Highly unlikely I'll see the movie anytime soon as I don't go to the cinema.

Hence I'll listen to the OST at a convenient time once it's come out like I would for any other score.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm seeing the film in four hours (in IMAX), so no choice, really. But in general, it makes no difference to me what I do first, film or OST.

Thor, I'm curious to find out if your impressions of the music will be similar to mine. Although, as far as I remember, you were quite critical when it comes to Williams' music from the Sequel Trilogy after the press screenings - from the beginning it made a great impression on me every time and to this day I consider these scores outstanding (I like the movies too).

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

There is no such thing like a superfluous John Williams film score.

Superfluous does seem an under-appreciative view, but there's certainly no such thing as a guaranteed 'great' score. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm also prepared for it to be just.... good.

6 hours ago, Pawel P. said:

Thor, I'm curious to find out if your impressions of the music will be similar to mine. Although, as far as I remember, you were quite critical when it comes to Williams' music from the Sequel Trilogy after the press screenings - from the beginning it made a great impression on me every time and to this day I consider these scores outstanding (I like the movies too).

Came back from the film a couple of hours ago.

Pawel, I'm afraid my impression is very different from yours. You likened it to THE LAST CRUSADE (which IMO is not only the best Indy score, but on my alltime top 10 JW list), but I'm afraid I didn't hear it. In fact, I felt quite the opposite. TLC is ripe with one individual setpiece after the after, containing longlined themes and clearcut beginnings, middles and ends. It's like a string of different concert pieces, both on album and in the film. DIAL, on the other hand, is far more in line with CRYSTAL SKULL, or the new STAR WARS scores -- i.e. 'contemporary' JW, with lots of small cells alternating and stacked on top of each other, like a puzzle. A short brass outburst there, a cymbal crash there, frenetic strings jumping around the scale. It's very busy, schizophrenic and -- to be honest -- very close to what I had expected.

That being said, there were some interesting nuggets here and there. "Helena's Theme", obviously, which is nice. Some references to existing Indy music, also beyond "Raiders". And -- interestingly -- a suspense ostinato fairly early on which sounded like it came right out of the MINORITY REPORT/WAR OF THE WORLDS school. Basically a version of the "Spyder" theme from MINORITY REPORT. That was cool.

There's also some setpiece music that is similar to "A Whirl Through Academe" from CRYSTAL SKULL or the swashbuckler sequence in TINTIN. I think JW played a bit from this in the surprise premiere performance. That was okay too.

I found the mix OK for a modern action blockbuster, but the most "actioney" sequences had the music mixed too low (I saw the film in IMAX, btw). So I'm looking forward to hearing this on the OST to find if my film impression holds up or not.

Since I will not be going out of my way to watch the movie, I'll be listening to the OST first. I have no problem with the intricacies of his current, more organic style. I look forward to it.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Came back from the film a couple of hours ago.

Pawel, I'm afraid my impression is very different from yours. You likened it to THE LAST CRUSADE (which IMO is not only the best Indy score, but on my alltime top 10 JW list), but I'm afraid I didn't hear it. In fact, I felt quite the opposite. TLC is ripe with one individual setpiece after the after, containing longlined themes and clearcut beginnings, middles and ends. It's like a string of different concert pieces, both on album and in the film. DIAL, on the other hand, is far more in line with CRYSTAL SKULL, or the new STAR WARS scores -- i.e. 'contemporary' JW, with lots of small cells alternating and stacked on top of each other, like a puzzle. A short brass outburst there, a cymbal crash there, frenetic strings jumping around the scale. It's very busy, schizophrenic and -- to be honest -- very close to what I had expected.

That being said, there were some interesting nuggets here and there. "Helena's Theme", obviously, which is nice. Some references to existing Indy music, also beyond "Raiders". And -- interestingly -- a suspense ostinato fairly early on which sounded like it came right out of the MINORITY REPORT/WAR OF THE WORLDS school. Basically a version of the "Spyder" theme from MINORITY REPORT. That was cool.

There's also some setpiece music that is similar to "A Whirl Through Academe" from CRYSTAL SKULL or the swashbuckler sequence in TINTIN. I think JW played a bit from this in the surprise premiere performance. That was okay too.

I found the mix OK for a modern action blockbuster, but the most "actioney" sequences had the music mixed too low (I saw the film in IMAX, btw). So I'm looking forward to hearing this on the OST to find if my film impression holds up or not.

Thor, you know how I mean it, when I say, if you didn't like the score, I think, I really have something to look forward to. ;)

The last movie I saw in the theater was "The Rise of Skywalker." However, I don't plan on going to the theater anymore because I dislike it. It smells like popcorn, and it's often dirty.

So it will be the OST!

i HATE assigned seating.  even worse in a packed theater as well.  way less of a chance to change your seat.

so if i'm gonna wait i might as well enjoy watching it at home.

5 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

There really are two different JWFan forums, aren't there 

I wonder, sometimes, why some people are even here.

If the OST is available, before i see the film on june 29th, i won't be able to resist listening to it.

At least this will reduce the immediate dissappointment, if a favorite moment remains unreleased, because i already know during watching the film.