James Newton Howard - NIGHT AFTER NIGHT

Edmilson

19 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

A synopsis and Goldsmith's score one their own paint a much grander picture in my mind than the film actually delivers.

And that's the original The Omen! How much truer that statement becomes when we venture onto the THIRD one! :blink:

Yavar

Yeah, imagine if this inspires him and others to do more like this. 

A Howard Shore piano focused LOTR. (Considering piano is the least used instrument in all of his Middle Earth material)

A Williams full Jazz re-telling of his favourite themes. 

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

A chamber orchestra album of Zimmer scores.

I would actually love to have a small, calm, minimal Zimmer reimagining of his scores. One of my favourites from him is his piano theme for Clark in Man of Steel. So delicate and powerful. I could imagine his other big scores being interesting with the same treatment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, this album...

Whenever I stumble upon listening to anything Lady in the Water for example, it just has an instant weird relaxing effect. Those descending strings of the theme are so perfectly calming, and it says so much so simply; it's mysterious, flowing, serene, and still has an edge of darkness. 

I might re-number all the tracks in order of film release for my listening continuity.

I just started listening to this album and so far it's amazing! Love the new arrangements and the performances are great! I hope JNH does more of these types of albums and as a huge fan of his violin and cello concerto, I hope he writes more classical music in the future! Oh and he should release his cello concerto officially!

I haven't heard anything from this but my CD should arrive today. Judging by the track list alone, it might become my favourite JNH album ever. I am already thinking of double-dipping and getting the vinyl. I bet this will be delicious at this time of the year. :)

Karol

30 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

I just started listening to this album and so far it's amazing! Love the new arrangements and the performances are great! I hope JNH does more of these types of albums and as a huge fan of his violin and cello concerto, I hope he writes more classical music in the future! Oh and he should release his cello concerto officially!

Intriguing. I'll get to it soon. As I've said before, I was never into JNH's Shyamalan scores, for one reason or another (with the exception of THE VILLAGE). I don't know why. Maybe their "chilliness", the slightly minimalist tone language, maybe because I latched on to and fell in love with a different kind of JNH before he ever worked with Shya, I don't know. But perhaps this album will open my ears a little more. I would really like to appreciate these works more.

I think Hand of Fate is one of the first JNH tracks I ever came across and I quickly discovered his other M. Night scores, so I'm looking forward to this. It seems unusual to get a re-recording which is arranged and produced by the composer meaning we won't get any nasty mistakes or performance issues.

I can see why you wouldn't be into 6th Sense and Unbreakable - I'm not much into the latter, which is a very cold, 'clinical' sound to me, and I also never fully got onboard with the drum loop used in a few tracks.

JNH's collaborations with Shyamalan are some of my favorite scores ever, particularly The Village and Lady in the Water, so I was really looking forward to this album. I listened to it on Spotify and loved it! It really feels like a proper extension of the scores, not just copying what was there, but expanding and developing some ideas without the constraints of scoring to a scene.

The Village and Lady in the Water suites were brilliant and made me emotional a couple of times, in particular the track Ivy Saves Lucius. As for the others, it depends, because for example I prefer how the themes of Unbreakable are orchestrated in the original score, and the reduction to piano and strings does not work as well for me, but on the other side, it's so great hearing The Last Airbender in a much more subdued variation than the orchestral "epicness" of the original score, which I also love.

I know I will be giving this a lot more listens to the album and I will definitely buy the CD!

I think it's a 5 star album if you're not familiar with these scores at all.

I've found it to be a mixture of pretty straight re-recordings in some cases (LitW being a bit 'plain' in that respect), and others where he's injected some nice newly-composed variations. In that sense Signs and The Village are the most interesting. Might be a purchase along the line if I find myself listening to it more.

4 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

E.g. in the original score, she works perfectly as an innocent musical voice, as JNH described it as a mirroring with Bryce Dallas Howard; both being young women giving the voice to Ivy. But now as Hahn is 20 years older, I listen to her pieces differently. She feels like she's playing a 40 year old Ivy's voice in some kind of sequel to the Village. I can easily imagine current Bryce and Joaquin with a big family of lots of kids running around, still living in the Village today. It's wonderful.

That's what I thought as well. Ok, JNH lowered some of her melodies by an octave. So, that sounds easily more mature. But still. 

I listened to this today.  It's nice!

I thought it was a strange decision to open the album with the Signs tracks instead of ending with it.  Hand of Fate is such a great album closer!

Yes, the album is much more subdued than I was expecting!

It's interesting that these movies full of so much action, suspense, and thrills can lead to an album of such contemplation and calm.

I just love being able to sit and listen in peace to the entire album. There are many times when I just want a calm experience with music, but have to keep changing and switching pieces if I truly want that. With this, I get to sit for over an hour and be connected to so many of JNH's masterworks and have no worries. 

Eh. I thought the album was okay. It kind of strips out the magic and musicality of many of the original pieces. A lot of it now just feels like pretty chords for piano and strings. Some parts of it are nice, but stuff like the "Hands of Fate" arrangement is dreadfully boring. 

I was similarly confused by After Earth. I made a suite when the score came out as most of that score is tiresome to me, and I recognise almost nothing in this suite.

Probably won't buy this as I'm primarily interested in a couple of tracks which add new compositions/interpretations, which so far are a few Signs and Village tracks. Although for the latter part of Hand of Fate, nothing will beat the warmth of the OST.

I think many of us have come to the conclusion that James Newton Howard composed these suites in a very 'free' manner, with a clear intent to achieve an ethereal and moody result. Moreover, the album showcases two soloists, indicating that they must have interesting parts to play... I think we should therefore be lenient with these suites, the goal was not to represent the complete original scores.

The After Earth suite is especially awesome, especially as it comes with this brilliant bit of JNH 2010s when he navigated the landscape of simplistic HZ knock-offs and came up with this, somehow, and weirdly none of this theme appears in the NonN album>

On 22/10/2023 at 7:02 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

is something I could easily play during dinner in the background.

IMG_9868.gif

On 22/09/2023 at 12:56 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

That's how I tend to think of Goldsmith's score for The Omen. Not a *bad* film by any stretch, but absolutely one that every time disappoints me because I don't think it lives up to its promises. A synopsis and Goldsmith's score one their own paint a much grander picture in my mind than the film actually delivers.

I agree with this completely.

Karol

On 01/11/2023 at 7:28 AM, crocodile said:

I agree with this completely.

Karol

On 22/09/2023 at 12:56 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

That's how I tend to think of Goldsmith's score for The Omen. Not a *bad* film by any stretch, but absolutely one that every time disappoints me because I don't think it lives up to its promises. A synopsis and Goldsmith's score one their own paint a much grander picture in my mind than the film actually delivers.

Also agree... it basically lifts the film to a level that it wouldn't have achieved on its own. Now Jaws is a vastly better film, but I always felt that both films totally deserved their Oscars for being the kind of scores that are both superb music but also elevate their respective films.

The images in my head when I first heard Lady in the Water knocked the shit out of what the movie delivered. Particularly The Great Eatlon which, except for one or two moments (discovering the 'real' guardian, BDH being taken by that bird) was a fairly disappointing experience.

52 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

In a way this disappointment of watching the actual movie after first listening to the score in advance even hits me with pretty good movies.

If you have a great score, the movie created in my head is mostly more glamorous than the actual move, at least in terms of music usage.

I had that with Jurassic Park. I read the book and listened to the score before watching the film, and although it was fantastic, I missed some of the subplots (such as the ticking timebomb aspect of the boat that was heading to the mainland with raptors in tow).

I'm a little mixed on the album... some re-imaginings of cues worked amazingly well (Signs, The Village), others are surprisingly good given that they're based on scores that aren't as beloved (The Happening, After Earth), but for some I wasn't a fan of.

Unbreakable is one of my top 10 JNH scores of all time, but I was disappointed that its re-imaginings were a little too "epic" for my taste and forgot all the wonderful melancholic material that I love so much (Carrying Audrey, Second Date).

Yeah I liked the Unbreakable selections but was similarly disappointed it wasn’t a longer four cue suite like other scores got.

The Happening was actually one of the most disappointing to me. I adore that score and consider it one of JNH’s very best for Shyamalan, thinking that most people really underrate it. But I was underwhelmed with the selection on album, despite being blown away by the score proper ever since I heard it in the film.

Yavar

I've probably listened to the album four times now. Really love it -- it has certainly made me appreciate the Shyamalan efforts more (even though one can argue that the reliance on the more beautiful parts of said scores don't make it quite representative as such).

I watched yesterday Unbreakable again and was again inspired by the score. It always had a wonderful Miklós Rózsa sword and sandal religioso touch like Quo Vadis or Ben Hur for me and I really love it. Apart from the fact, that I adore the movie. From all creative aspects of a movie this is my favourite Shyamalan movie.

Like Yavar I regret that the Unbreakable suite is so short on the album. But still it covers probably the best parts in a beautiful way.