James Newton Howard - NIGHT AFTER NIGHT

Edmilson

This looks very interesting. I've long felt that JNH's music is often very much compromised in his soundtracks - great ideas and sections, but very often with sudden transitions to entirely different and often less interesting underscore material. Very little form. Certainly partly influenced by the hectic schedule of modern day film making, although I feel that JNH's scores are more affected by it than those of other composers (or at least of other composers who, like him, do still write longer, substantially developed cues).

His violin concerto shows that JNH can write a full concert piece without lots of sudden filler, so I have quite high hopes for this.

20 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

That’s gorgeous. I know the violin is the star of the show in this score but when that piano joins in…. :(

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that -- with the exception of THE VILLAGE (which is a masterpiece, as another person said above) -- I've never been too thrilled with JNH's Shyamalan scores. Yeah, I know, enormously controversial, but it's not my favourite kind of JNH. But that puny gripe aside, I love the fact that an album like this is coming out. Will definitely check it out.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

It’s OK. Accessible minimalism. But can’t hold a candle to THE VILLAGE.

Erm...okay.

His Shyamalan scores are his finest works of art.

Masterpieces -

Unbreakable

Signs

The Village

Lady in the Water

Last Airbender.

Great Scores

Sixth Sense

The Happening

Phoning it in for a horseshit film -

After Earth

Awesome! Can't wait!

Curious if he employed a real choir for the two Airbender pieces!! :D

This compilation wouldn't have surprised me had it come during the time he was still working with M. Night, or if these cues were included along with suites of his from his works for other directors.

But an album dedicated solely to his collaborations with M. Night, all of a sudden, and a decade after their last collaboration?

Is someone holding out an olive branch?

I mean, these two haven't worked together since After Earth - something might have happened between them during that one.

2 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

I mean, these two haven't worked together since After Earth - something might have happened between them during that one.

I guess, M. Night, meanwhile rather a b-movie director, simply can't affort anymore the services of a high profile composer like JNH. But Shyamalan obviously inspired JNH to his best works. I am sure, both are missing that time.

Once we got to Last Airbender, the scoring requirements just weren't the same as they were before. Th JNH who gave us The Village and Signs is still there, but he's being asked for standard sci-fi scoring, whereas everything up to the Happening was basically a large chamber score with no sustained action material.

5 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I agree with this except I’d move The Happening up one tier into “Masterpiece” status too. (And I actually like the film and think it’s misunderstood.) What’s surprising is that he didn’t phone it in for the horseshit films that were Lady in the Water and The Last Airbender. :) 

Yavar

I don't know - Lady still has a reasonable amount of character bits with all the fairytale nonsense. I can see how JNH would find energy and material to make a score.

We'll never know at what point (if any) JNH's attraction to these films started to turn, but I think it's important not to project our own feelings for a film onto the composer's mindset as if we want to protect our idols from having to score rubbish. JNH has commented several times on movies that either the audience or he thought were terrible movies, but that he still enjoyed his job as trying to help them out with music.

I bet there are things about scoring bad movies that are more fun than good ones. And it's probably not that different to some degree. Like, the moment in "The Great Eatlon" when Giamatti realizes the guy with one buff arm is The Guardian, that's just a great setup for music whether you think it's actually a good scene or not. And on the flipside great art probably just feels like footage after awhile. 

49 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I bet there are things about scoring bad movies that are more fun than good ones. And it's probably not that different to some degree. Like, the moment in "The Great Eatlon" when Giamatti realizes the guy with one buff arm is The Guardian, that's just a great setup for music whether you think it's actually a good scene or not. And on the flipside great art probably just feels like footage after awhile. 

Interesting perspective. I agree. There are some highly artistic and important films that I would imagine would be boring for a composer. On the other hand, bad movies (as long as they have passion) can be a dream to score because of their big swings and misses creating a big open space for fun score writing.

7 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Interesting perspective. I agree. There are some highly artistic and important films that I would imagine would be boring for a composer. On the other hand, bad movies (as long as they have passion) can be a dream to score because of their big swings and misses creating a big open space for fun score writing.

Well on a big important film there’s the risk of screwing it up (JW’s “they’re all dead” Schindler’s List comment is essentially saying as much) but a big cheesy film can probably withstand more.

Looking forward to this album though. Chamber JNH. Nice. 

Also, composers know they are being 'judged' on the score release so it's not like they can just phone in a quick autopilot score for a bad film and just move on. It's added to their pantheon of work so they have some significant motivation to do their best.

It's also their job and they're being paid handsomly for it. Hence if they look at a film and really think it's either not for them, or that it's so bad that they would have a horrible time, they just shouldn't accept the assignment.

I don't remember who it was, maybe HZ or JNH, but he said that sometimes you sign on to a movie and it turns out it's not good in the process and that in those cases you need to find a way to find enjoyment in the work and just doing as good a score as possible even though you know the movie won't do well.

JNH has definitely said something like that in interviews, when knows he's on a movie that sucks but he knows his job is to try to help it and basically be a professional. He once mentioned The Postman as a 'terrible movie', but when someone mentioned Mumford as a bad movie, JNH defended it. It's probably very difficult to tell when a composer really enjoyed the process, and when they were just doing their best under the circumstances.

Ultimately, whenever a composer scores a film they're spending months writing music for a film that in some cases three people will see, and the only life their music is going to have is soundtrack collectors.

But that's the life of a film composer - their music could be heard by millions and the money's good, but at some point they're going to spend months writing for some absolute POS.

I think, it isn't reality of a film music composer, thinking everytime, if the next movie he or she scores willl go down in movie history as a masterpiece. First of all it is a business where you get a job from a company and it might be a good and fruitful collaboration or not. Result can be a bad movie, but it still might have been an interesting and inspiring working process for the composer.

2 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

Some terrible movies feature some of my favorite scores!

What's more, I imagine some of them might have lesser scores if the films were better. Ultimately the film that we get is what informed the score, so I think sometimes we can be thankful for bad films.

27 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Not only TLA is a good score, but also, like many JNH/MNS scores, some of the best cues are still unreleased. This, for example, is just gorgeous:

That's such a typical JNH cue, I love it!

The Village is completely out of character for JNH as an album. He usually makes such representative albums and rarely commits such epic vandalism on his scores as JW does, but this time he went for a concept tone poem and got a lot of it wrong, imo. There's too much focus on some of the horror aspects and not enough on the personal drama cues such as Edward Confesses and similar cues which would offer a bit of variety and colour.

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Not only TLA is a good score, but also, like many JNH/MNS scores, some of the best cues are still unreleased. This, for example, is just gorgeous:

Lovely stuff, I'd never heard that. It's the sort of quintessential JNH 'underscore' (though I hate the term) that populates a lot of his scores... and you never get to hear!