Ecoutez le cinéma John Williams release - The Legend of John Williams 20CD box set

Jay

33 minutes ago, pete said:

Are you sure? I thought it was around 55 seconds into “Regaining a son”. Update:  Oh yeah you’re right. I was comparing the audio sample with the earlier rendition in the elegy in which the solo cello is quite prominent.  But the strings take that motive later around 3:45.  

Yeah, even though the clip is from the tutti section of the piece, you can clearly hear Yo Yo's cello to a far greater extent than you can in "Regaining a Son".

33 minutes ago, pete said:

And what’s “A Million Bucks” from?

This:

https://www.amazon.com/Andre-Previn-Plays-Hollywood-Composers/dp/B01LTHWTP6

(sorry, Discogs is wonky at the moment, so Amazon will have to do)

This is based on a film score piece right? or vice-versa? I can't quite place it, but I know I've heard this melody before. 1:55  My first thought was Bachelor Flat, but I just skimmed the soundtrack and don't think it's from that.

30 minutes ago, pete said:

This is based on a film score piece right? or vice-versa? I can't quite place it, but I know I've heard this melody before. 1:55  My first thought was Bachelor Flat, but I just skimmed the soundtrack and don't think it's from that.

Yes, it's based on "Hassle in the Castle" from CHECKMATE.

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

"New exclusive audio clip from John Williams' interview (with Stéphane Lerouge) for the booklet of The Legend of John Williams' set. The iconic composer discusses the difference between writing for film and for the concert."

https://www.facebook.com/EcoutezLeCinema/videos/1040584540609829/

Nice little clip.  Nothing new but it has a very personal touch.  

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

New info about Disc 20, including the artists:

1. A Million Bucks - André Previn, from André Previn Plays Music of the Young Hollywood Composers, RCA Victor LSP-3491, 1965
  2. Make Me Rainbows - Ella Fitzgerald & The Count Basie Orchestra, from Ella & Basie: A Perfect Match,Pablo Today 2312 110, 1980
  3. Catch Me If You Can - Jean-Michel Bernard, from Piano Cinema, Sony Classical 19658 71977-2, 2022
  4. Dream Away - Frank Sinatra, from Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back, Reprise Records FS 2155, 1973
  5. Fascinating Rhythm - Johnny Williams, from Rhythm in Motion, Columbia CS 8467, 1961
  6. The Same Hello, The Same Goodbye - Barbra Streisand, from What Matters Most: Barbra Streisand Sings the Lyrics of Marilyn & Alan Bergman, Columbia 88697 86257-2, 2011
  7. A Big Beautiful Ball - Jackie & Roy, from Lovesick, Verve V6-8688, 1967
  8. A Place on My Own (Heidi's Theme) - Carrie Chase, from Heidi (Original Soundtrack Recording), Capitol SKAO-2995, 1968
  9. Daddy’s Gone A-Hunting - Lyn Roman, from Daddy's Gone A-Hunting, Dot Records 45-17265, 1969
  10. Come Tuesday - Alan Bergman, previously unreleased
  11. The Eiger Sanction - Kyle Eastwood, from Cinematic, Jazz Village/PIAS DISCO19CD01, 2019
  12. Remembering Carolyn (from Presumed Innocent) - Simone Pedroni, from John Williams: Themes and Transcriptions for Piano, Varese Sarabande 302 067 478 8, 2017
  13. Nice to Be Around - Maureen McGovern, from Nice to Be Around, 20th Century Records T-439, 1974
  14. A Powdered Wig - Henry Mancini, from Combo!, RCA Victor LSP-2258, 1961
  15. Love’s the Only Game in Town - Suzanne Stevens, from Love's the Only Game in Town, Capitol ST-11511, 1976
  16. The Long Goodbye - Lou Donaldson, from Sophisticated Lou, Blue Note BN-LA024-F, 1973
  17. Theme from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - David Helbock, from Playing John Williams (Piano Works XIV), Act 9764-2 (Germany), 2019
  18. Make Me Rainbows - Vic Damone, from The Damone Type Of Thing, RCA Victor LSP 3916, 1967
  19. If We Were in Love - Luciano Pavarotti, from Yes, Giorgio (Original Soundtrack Recording), London PDV 9001, 1982

Just a quick note to let everyone know that although this information is very likely to be 100% accurate, we don't know the original source and therefore it should only be considered as a leak and not the actual official information.

Has the track list that Thor posted on page 1, copied from an FSM post by a guy who calls himself "Lokutus", been verified as real by anything official? 

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

Has the track list that Thor posted on page 1, copied from an FSM post by a guy who calls himself "Lokutus", been verified as real by anything official? 

It's the same tracklist as the one listed on MusicBox Records' website

https://www.musicbox-records.com/fr/cd-musiques-de-films/13723-the-legend-of-john-williams.html

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

Will the text be multilingual? I don’t know French. 

Their two Morricone sets have the booklet texts and even the movie titles in French, Italian and English.

Subscribers of FSM Online will be interested to listen to an audio interview with producer Stephane Lerouge featuring some clips from this new collection.

Watch out for an exclusive clip being posted on social networks today of John Williams speaking about 2 key colleagues and friends.

3 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Musical Dicks?

Yes. A big-budget movie musical not so much about penises but about dickheads, (although there is a fallen vagina), and the two lead brothers are not only gay but have the hots for each other. God even gets a cameo, because nothing screams "gay incest" more than God turning up. 

2 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

I also read "Penis Patrol" and "Reviving the Lords of the Phallus".

I had to edit my initial description because I was being too metaphorical with describing the content. 

But "Penis Patrol" and "Reviving the Lords of the Phallus"??? That sounds more like something to be watched than read ;).

17 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

He calls the Mancinis "objects".

Indeed, John Williams' reference to Mancini's albums in the 60s as 'objects' perfectly encapsulates their essence: as he said, they were truly shiny, bright little treasures of their era.

Though acknowledging the essence of these soundtracks predominantly rooted in jazz, portraying the vibrant spirit of the '60s, it's essential to appreciate how their unique style shaped and defined an iconic period in film music.

6 hours ago, Bayesian said:

Nor mine. My delivery window is Dec 1 to 6, though, so I'm not worried. By any chance, @Andy, is your copy expected to arrived before Dec 1?

Barely. Expected delivery is November 30. 

3 minutes ago, Sandor said:

Mine is actually in a DHL storage box in my hometown as we speak.... I will pick it up on Monday, so I guess mine technically arrived first....

Disqualified!