Mark Graham just picked up a John Williams sketch and is "in a rush"! Any ideas?

michael_grig

There may or may not be a causal link. But the same messenger is apparently being secretive about some JW score(s)...

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Is there any reason to assume this post was related to the one the thread is about?

We could just name this "The Official Mark Graham Instagram thread"

On 20/02/2024 at 12:47 AM, Not Mr. Big said:

The Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man Movie

Fixed. Williams will pick up from where Horner and Zimmer left.

Interesting. Mostly familiar stuff, but there's one that says "84 Beacon Street", I think. I wonder what that is? Isn't that the address of the Cheers bar in Boston?

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Star Wars 1977

image.png

unfortunately this part lagged out for over a minute in the livestream, it seems the uploaded version is missing a large chunk here, it basically skips the entire Star Wars section minus a very brief part

Yup lots of weird glitches in the uploaded version

image.png

Interesting that everything inside this box was clearly photocopies and not the originals

Alien 3

image.png

My guess is that the rush was Just Down West Street, unless he tweaked the concerto again (but somehow I doubt that).  

It is interesting how he goes from "It was not SW" to "there is a SW recording today."   All it confirms is SW, not JW, yet he was mentioning JW in the same breath.  

Cool if it was.  If so, my guess is that he was not suppose to say even that much.  

Is JKMS the default for most Hollywood composers?  If not, then that would increase the probability of the new SW project being Williams related.  However, if everyone (or at least Lucasfilm) uses them as the default, then it could be anyone.  

Such an odd little combination of events.  

There's a piece called "By The Sea" on the top shelf in the first picture. Anyone ever heard of that before? Sounds a little Jawsy.

And two Heartwoods..... One for a smaller ensemble? 

1 hour ago, pete said:

There's a piece called "By The Sea" on the top shelf in the first picture. Anyone ever heard of that before? Sounds a little Jawsy.

"By the Beautiful Sea" is a track on Adolph Deutsch's THE APARTMENT (on which Williams plays piano), but I doubt that's it. JAWS sounds more likely. Same as my aforementioned "84 Beacon Street", which I don't believe is just another name for "Down the Street, to the Left" or whatever the name is....some mysterious names in there.

That kind of stuff is my main takeaway here, couldn't care less about seeing STAR WARS sketches and the like.

5 hours ago, karelm said:

My pictures while examining those sheets.  Was such a thrill to hold the original, hand written full scores!  

IMG_1460.JPG

Three piles, A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. 

IMG_1486.JPG

Woah that's awesome! Did the piles include any source music? (e.g. Ewok Drums, Cantina Band, etc.)

28 minutes ago, karelm said:

It's crazy to think I was sitting alone with the Herb Spencer original pencil scores and could literally have changed it if I felt like it.

William Ross wrote Star Wars confirmed!

54 minutes ago, karelm said:

It had everything I thought to check.  With that said, I didn't think to check some of those!  I did see the soundtrack and also arranged cues meant for the soundtrack album but might not be in the film.  I do recall a cantina band or two but those weren't my main focus.  

Ah okay. Did you take any other pictures?

On 20/3/2024 at 12:32 AM, pete said:

And two Heartwoods..... One for a smaller ensemble? 

I would venture to guess it is Williams’ arrangement of By the Beautiful Sea listed in this program I pulled from the BSO Archives, the lyrics of which go “By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea…” This piece was played at multiple performances that week, one of which I had actually attended back when I was in high school. I don’t remember much about the arrangement other than that it was in a similar vein as his Hooray for Hollywood arrangement and that (you guessed correctly!) it featured a brief quote of the Jaws bass line at the very end of the piece. Anyone curious about how the tune sounds (though not the same arrangement) can listen to The Ferris Wheel Sequence from Williams’ score to 1941.

image.jpeg

6 hours ago, karelm said:

I was working on the music of official Star Wars projects so got permission to study the originals.  It's crazy to think I was sitting alone with the Herb Spencer original pencil scores and could literally have changed it if I felt like it.  

Cool, but did you really need to study the originals? I assume there's photocopies available. ;)

I don't want to sound too stupid, for it is still morning where I am.  But if an original SW sketch was sold at auction, how could these be complete?  

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

I don't want to sound too stupid, for it is still morning where I am.  But if an original SW sketch was sold at auction, how could these be complete?  

Wasn't it just a hand-written copy of the first page Williams did to present as a gift?

I guess I was assuming it was not a copy, but if so, then it makes more sense.  

As @Jurassic Sharkhas pointed it out, the original handwritten scores by JW are leather bound at his home.
The ones that were used at the recording sessions were done by Herbert W. Spencer when he orchestrated the scores based on JW’s shorthand sketches, then turned to the copyists. 

13 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Sounds like Williams's house *is* a museum.

A museum with no admission for the general public (thank heavens).

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Sounds like Williams's house *is* a museum.

Perhaps Disney will make a theme park around his house (one day).

12 hours ago, KingPin said:

I would venture to guess it is Williams’ arrangement of By the Beautiful Sea listed in this program I pulled from the BSO Archives, the lyrics of which go “By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea…” This piece was played at multiple performances that week, one of which I had actually attended back when I was in high school. I don’t remember much about the arrangement other than that it was in a similar vein as his Hooray for Hollywood arrangement and that (you guessed correctly!) it featured a brief quote of the Jaws bass line at the very end of the piece. Anyone curious about how the tune sounds (though not the same arrangement) can listen to The Ferris Wheel Sequence from Williams’ score to 1941.

image.jpeg

Great find, KingPin. I've never heard of the song, so I assumed it was an original track on the THE APARTMENT album. Of course, it's called "By the Sea", so not exactly the same thing, but close enough.

18 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Curlyland!

Johnnytown(er)

On 19/03/2024 at 11:48 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Aren't the originals leather bound in JW's place?

The originals are at JAKMS but the resulting full scores are what's in the leather-bound copies.  The hand sketches are like first draft, not the cleaned up, revised full scores though with JW, there might not be much difference except one is cleaned up, legible, and the other might have lots of short hand making it hard to follow.  A simple example, maybe an instrument switches which system it's on from bar to bar.  The orchestrator would clearly understand that shorthand, but it would make the full score difficult to read.  Think of it as a handwritten notepad of a story with lines scratched out versus the edited, typeset resulting copy.  This is a picture of his library with the leather scores.  They are full scores.  I can make out Empire of the Sun, Jaws, JFK and a few other gems. 

John Williams, Hollywood’s Maestro, Looks Beyond the Movies - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

20 hours ago, KingPin said:

image.jpeg

I REALLY miss these longer concerts, which were the norm until he starting doing only half, but I remember the first few years I went he wasn't playing a lot of his own music.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Were these CDs ever identified?

image.png

One of them is Hans’ Man of Steel. JW’s been writing letters to his agent asking for an autograph for years.

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Zoom a bit on the third one down, it is pretty obvious.

Christmas With The Chipmunks

Also I managed to identify one of the books on JW’s shelf.

IMG_0169.jpeg

11 hours ago, crumbs said:

Were these CDs ever identified?

image.png

Yes, but they are all dead.

IMG_0170.gif