'Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny' wins Score of the Year and Best Adventure Score at the IFMCA Awards

Ricard

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

I haven't listened to many 2023 releases but I assume the Williams score was indeed the best?

Because by Williams standards is in my bottom list of his output.

I enjoy Oppenheimer quite a bit more than DoD. It's way, way more original.

I agree with some of the other winners (drama film, and documentary) and DoD being best adventure score? Sure. Not score of the year though, sorry peeps.

I really dislike when people attribute quotes to the wrong person.  we should be better than that.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Just to be clear, that is not my line.  

Oh yes. Sorry. Was not intentionally. I just marked the text and clicked "Quote". But it was from a quote in your post.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

I really dislike when people attribute quotes to the wrong person.  we should be better than that.

Didn't want to hurt your feelings.

This is great!

I'm just so worried Dial is not a good enough film to get this man his 6th Oscar.

The academy would never.

Oppenheimer may be predicted to win. But guess what bruv? It doesn't have one lick of the Raiders March....the greatest theme in existence.

Do the right thing, Academy.

Is Dial of Destiny a score that I personally like to listen more than Oppenheimer? Sure. Would I be said in the unlikely possibility of a victory? Yeah. But does that make LG's probable win at the Oscars undeserved? Nope.

In fact, I believe that Göransson's soon-to-be two Oscars were pretty good choices by the Academy considering their woeful track record over the last few years.

The biggest issue I have with Oppenheimer is that Görannson OVER scored it. If the film were better spotted and had less score—they really need to study Patton—I'd be more than happy to accept the accolades that it's receiving. Unfortunately, I felt that the score made the film worse—a film I didn't particular like but really disliked because of the music. The film is scored wall-to-wall with numerous dialogue sequences rendered inaudible because of the terrible mix of the music. Film music should never call negative attention to itself in context, and, IMO, that's what Görannson's score did.

-Erik-

12 hours ago, Erik Woods said:

The biggest issue I have with Oppenheimer is that Görannson OVER scored it. […] The film is scored wall-to-wall with numerous dialogue sequences rendered inaudible because of the terrible mix of the music.

That's what I was getting it. Surely that was deliberate, i.e. if the mix is "terrible" - I don't think it is - it's not terrible on a technical level but terrible on an artistic level. But I think the effect worked - at least it did for me.

Overall, I think it's one of the better Nolan scores.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

it's not terrible on a technical level but terrible on an artistic level.

That applies to way more scores than I think we give credit for. You can have a technically brilliant score that's unsuited to its film, or more often perhaps, overscores its film. All 3 Jurassics are a great example of films that have huge sequences without music (or dropped cues).

I haven't seen Oppenheimer and I may well agree in the future that all the dialogue scenes didn't need music, but it works on album. Whereas KotCS for example, works great in the film, but has bits that I think drag a bit on album (again, funnily enough, when people are just talking).

8 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

That applies to way more scores than I think we give credit for. You can have a technically brilliant score that's unsuited to its film, or more often perhaps, overscores its film. All 3 Jurassics are a great example of films that have huge sequences without music (or dropped cues).

I haven't seen Oppenheimer and I may well agree in the future that all the dialogue scenes didn't need music,

I'm sure many films are overscored mainly because that's just how they thought you do it. But Oppenheimer is deliberately overscored, i.e. the score's purpose clearly is to drown out the dialogue in some scenes. People may agree or disagree with that decision, but there's more to it than to just your average wall-to-wall blockbuster score (and at the same time, Göransson's score, overbearing as it may be, is comparatively restrained musically).

17 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm sure many films are overscored mainly because that's just how they thought you do it. But Oppenheimer is deliberately overscored, i.e. the score's purpose clearly is to drown out the dialogue in some scenes.

This wall-to-wall overscoring becomes especially painful when apart from a few highlights nothing particularly interesting is happening in the music.

That is why I consider this year's Williams' score superior to Göransson's.

12 hours ago, Erik Woods said:

The biggest issue I have with Oppenheimer is that Görannson OVER scored it. If the film were better spotted and had less score—they really need to study Patton—I'd be more than happy to accept the accolades that it's receiving. Unfortunately, I felt that the score made the film worse—a film I didn't particular like but really disliked because of the music. The film is scored wall-to-wall with numerous dialogue sequences rendered inaudible because of the terrible mix of the music. Film music should never call negative attention to itself in context, and, IMO, that's what Görannson's score did.

-Erik-

I agree that the movie is extremely overscored, with many sequences that should've been silence instead receiving some middling score. But I think that is more of a Nolan thing, who always loved to get too much music on his movies, even in his Zimmer days. It's like Dunkirk, where the score is almost omnipresent (though in that case it may not be as a bothersome because it was an action movie and not a "talky drama" like Oppenheimer). I imagine that if it was entirely up to LG, he wouldn't put that much music in scenes that didn't need it.

Too much music mixed way too loud is the Nolan style, which Villeneuve has been quite fond of as well.

On 22/2/2024 at 12:27 PM, Edmilson said:

Judging by the competition, I'd say Williams's win was well deserved. Though I still want to listen to The Piper. Love CY in his "horrific" mode.

You can hear three different excerpts from it in the IFMCA awards announcement video:

I'm glad Dial of Destiny and The Piper won their respective genre categories, but my score of the year was (quite unexpectedly, as I heard it at the very last minute) The Peasants, written by a total newcomer to film music who's primarily known as a rapper. This was not on my 2023 film music bingo card but WOW is it an incredible, unique, and memorable score... gorgeous melodies too. With apologies to Hisaishi/Boy and the Heron and Powell/Migration, both of which are fantastic, I think it's an even better animation score.

Yavar

On 22/02/2024 at 11:38 PM, Tom said:

Yeah, I remember my parent's 30th anniversary party.  You know, how people were coming up to them and telling them they would have preferred they married different people, and how there are other couples whose anniversary they would rather celebrate.  Great memories, great party.   

Brilliant. Williams won something and those two morons just don't like it. Here in the JWfan. "It's not the best by JW and Ludvig one is so much better". 

They are very serious to tell us they don't like DOD or any other JW's newer output. BUT WE DON'T CARE!!! 

Ban me and see you again in 2026

10 hours ago, Joni Wiljami said:

Brilliant. Williams won something and those two morons just don't like it.

I personally don't care what names you call me (and others) because I know you're a passionate fan, and passion sometimes means we use words we don't really mean. Lord knows I've used wrong words in the past. But I suspect use of 'morons' won't make you any friends in the mod team.

Plus I did I say I thought best adventure score was a good win for DoD - it's a good score. I simply disagree that it's the best, most original and effective score of the year in this case. Appreciation/congratulation threads like this, while maintaining a positive spirit, don't completely exclude constructive criticism.

I would gladly swap out any of nominated Oscar scores for Naoki Sato’s Godzilla Minus One.

Nice to see his score was recognized by the IFMCA.