What was your first encounter with Jerry Goldsmith?

Why am I asking this? Because for me this wasn't love at first sight.

Since the age of 11 I was visiting record stores and scrolling through the soundtrack department.

I was the greatest Star Wars fan on earth and a big science fiction fan, too.

So I recognized the compoer name on records like Alien or Star Trek TMP, which probably was the first movie with a Goldsmith score, that I had ever seen.

Later I saw Logran's Run (on TV) and Gremlins. But his scores more or less did their job.

Different from John Williams, who's scores made me immediately want to listen to them outside the movie.

Tbh, the first time I actually recognized the Goldsmith Star Trek theme was at the title credits of the Star Trek Next Generation TV Show, so little of an impression it made on me, when I watched the movie.

I neither watched Alien nor The Omen or Poltergeist. I was too young at the time.

The score that made me want to dig deeper into his work was "Legend".

I bought the record more or less by the cover.

I had iked The Last Unicorn, this was again a fantasy story with unicorns and a red bull, I like Ridley Scott's previous movie "Bladerunner", so I was hooked and really fell in love with the score. Luckily I didn't watch the movie at that time.

For a long time Legend was the only Goldsmith score I owned. Finally a broader interest in Goldsmith was woken up by my first discussions with two other movie score conaisseurs, which I met in my 20s. Studs Lonigan, the two Poltergeists, The Omen, Mom and Dad Save the World, Total Recall, Planet of the Apes and a big deal was later L.A. Confidential. And the Alien expansion.

Still I would say, that I admire much of his music, but I don't necessarily love it.

Overall I would call his movie music brillantly operational.

Or to say it differently:

Is he one of my favourite composers? No.

s he one of my favourite movie composer? Yes.

A double bill at the cinema, consisting of PLANET OF THE APES, and ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES.

POTA was also my very first Jerry OST purchase.

I started at the top...

Is Jerry one of my favourite composers? No.

Is he second only to JW? Definitely!

I can't remember.

I know for a fact I saw films like GREMLINS, POLTERGEIST and ALIEN in the 80s, long before I had any kind of film music interest, so I wouldn't really pay attention to the music.

I think the first Goldsmith CD I got was CONGO in 1995, even if I had been well aware of him and heard his scores in movies, for years. Well, sorta. I bought it at the local record store for a gift card, then realized I should have gotten THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS instead, went back to the record store and exchanged it for the Elfman. An exchange I don't regret, as it helped cement my love of Elfman.

But to the question - it must be sometime there around 1990-1993 or thereabouts, when my film music interest exploded. That's about as specific as I can get.

Jerry Goldsmith's music entered my life gradually. The first score of his that I purchased was...

(drum rolls)

Honestly, Goldsmith wasn't a composer who had been a part of my life during my teenage and young adult years, unlike John Williams (from the first Star Wars) and Danny Elfman (from the first Batman). This was partly because I hadn't seen many of the movies he scored.

It was an acquired taste, discovering Goldsmith. My initial exposure to his work came through recordings of the John Williams/Boston Pops (Out of this World), and those of Erich Kunzel (Star Tracks).

First, it began with an expansion I think... Then, over the last four years, starting in 2020, my physical collection of Goldsmith's CDs grew to include 70 items. Not bad.

Maybe it was the expanded edition of "Sleeping with the Enemy"... or was it the "used" OST of "Gremlins 2"?

Those are very odd choices for the first two CDs of Jerry Goldsmith, but I believe it was these CDs. :lol:

PS: I remember being impressed by some playlists of @Erik Woods dedicated to Goldsmith back in 2013, I think, on his CSR podcast website. So I'll say it's HIS fault!!!

IMG_4455.webp

I recall hearing the Star Trek the Motion Picture theme on a local video store commercial!  I of course didn’t know who Goldsmith was, but I did see TMP in the theater. 

But I didn’t pick up the soundtrack until years later. 

I first realized whol Goldsmith was while listening to Twilight Zone The Movie through Showtime on cable. We don’t subscribe, so no picture , but the audio grabbed my imagination. That’s when I knew who Goldsmith was.  I went out and bought the cassette. Not my pics but I still have it and it looks like this. 

IMG_4456.webpIMG_4457.webp

Without knowing who Jerry Goldsmith was, my first encounter with his work was probably Mulan or The Mummy (and the Universal logo of course!)

Once I knew the name Goldsmith, my next encounter was Total Recall. And I've been a lifelong fan since

It was probably King Solomon's Mine. And I am going to double down and say the main theme is one of his best (Some people make fun of it as a parody Indy score). 

Had to be Dennis the Menace. That one definitely stuck out. 

My 90s and 00s were actually quite Goldsmith-less otherwise tbh. I know I watched Innerspace, Mulan, and Looney Tunes: Back in Action but I didn't really recall the music so much, he wasn't someone I explored even in my teens as a burgeoning film score geek. I really learned about Goldsmith almost entirely as a young adult. I didn't even recognize the Gremlins theme when I finally got around to checking out the movie some years ago. I've still never seen Secret of NIMH or Small Soldiers and was never a Star Trek kid.

Besides Dennis, the other Goldsmith pieces that bring me nostalgia are his Universal logo and Fanfare for Oscar, which I really miss hearing on nomination morning nowadays. I've actually taken to watching the video of him conducting it on YouTube now before they announce it. I also remember instantly loving the brief Patton reference from John Williams's Oscar tribute to film music at the time. But took me years to finally get around to the film and score. 

1 hour ago, A24 said:

I grew up with the Waltons. But it was no experience like "Oh, who wrote that great music?"

It was rather later, when I got to know him, then recognizing "Oh, this was written by Goldsmith, too?".

2 hours ago, Mephariel said:

(Some people make fun of it as a parody Indy score)

Just like Supergirl sounds like a parody Superman score and the Star Trek theme like a parody Star Wars theme.

That is for me sometimes the issue with Goldsmith.

That is probably why he seemed to me such a perfect match with Verhoeven. Because he also had that parody vibe in his movies.

3 hours ago, Mephariel said:

It was probably King Solomon's Mine. And I am going to double down and say the main theme is one of his best (Some people make fun of it as a parody Indy score). 

A poor director's John Williams. 

People always make fun of those comparisons, pitting Goldsmith's scores for lesser, similar fare up against Williams:

Dennis the Menace vs. Home Alone

King Solomon's Mines vs. Indiana Jones

Supergirl vs. Superman

Baby - Secret of the Lost Legend vs. Jurassic Park

Star Trek vs. Star Wars

Explorers vs. E.T.

etc. etc.

Fun for a thought experiment, I suppose, but ultimately silly.

Watching Mulan, then US Marshalls. 

And that was it for a bit, when I started to really listen albums, I took a while to remember that I liked those scores, and found out who was the man behind it, and that he was a big deal.

And that was it for a bit, only now getting into Star Trek and reading your opinions on the man's work that I'm starting to really listen to his scores.

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I guess 1997, around the time The Edge was released as he gave a talk about it alongside director Lee Tamahori (before he disappointed us all with Die Another Die... or The Another The as it is in Germany - sorry the Simpsons).

Perhaps Tamahori needs to work with writer David Mamet again?

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Why silly? I think, this is a topic worth discussing. For me your example we always an evidence, that Goldsmith wasn't super fornd of when directors asked him to write something like Williams did for a previous film. 

Goldsmith best efforts were achieved, when he wasn't asked to "do the Williams". 

Alien, The Omen, Poltergeist, Patton, Chinatown, Planet of the Apes, Basic Instict, Total Recall, Legend. For all of these there aren't any comparable Williams scores (at least none that existed beforehand). And these are all great.

But in all of your examples not only Goldsmith's scores but also the respective movies are inferior to the Williams scored movies.

So, it is not even in that regard Goldsmith fault.

Why write something super original for a pale copy of a movie (even though Goldsmith did that often enough).

That's pretty cool that you got to see the man live, Tom. Never managed that myself, as he was in this neck of the wood before I really started travelling alone.

I imagine my first exposure to Goldsmith was Gremlins. The main theme was super catchy and stuck with me for years. However, I didn't pay any attention to who wrote it (just like I never cared at the time to learn about who wrote the BTTF music, which also stuck with me instantly). 

Goldsmith is a tricky one for me. I know he was super talented and I very much respect that. But overall, his music leaves me weirdly indifferent, or even antagonized at times. It's like I can appreciate at arm's length his proficiency but with relatively few exceptions, his melodies and thematic development don't click with me and his scores don't linger in my mind. In some cases, like Air Force One, his music just gets really grating on the ear. And I've tried to like him, believe me, ever since joining this forum, where lots of folks are deeply fond of his oeuvre.

'Poltergeist II'.

As kids, a friend and I would hum Reverend Kane's theme. And I loved the satanic choral parts.

I finally got the Intrada CD when eBay became a thing, but the first Goldsmith score I ever owned was 'Total Recall'.

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Music? The Waltons. And I watched Logan's Run on broadcast TV but couldn't have told you about the music if you held a sandman's pistol to my head.

But then... Well, yeah. Star Trek: The Motion Picture. After that I started recognizing that there were other scores from "the Star Trek guy". Night Crossing. The Secret of NIMH. Poltergeist. First Blood.

A good question for me: What was the SECOND Goldsmith score that I actually went out and bought? Because I somehow didn't get the NIMH LP until the late 80's. (I mean, it wasn't Tron, you know. ;) ) I had the end titles to Twilight Zone: The Movie on cassette, taped off the television. Same with First Blood. (And The Thing and 1941 but that's neither here nor there.) I remember playing the Gremlins LP but I don't think it was mine. I borrowed Alien from a friend when I finally saw it in 1986. (It took me a long time to get into that score.)

I hate to say this but I think the second Goldsmith album I actually bought was Innerspace! Followed soon after by The Secret of NIMH. My Jerry collection was rather sparse back then. (Of course I suppose my everybody else collection wasn't super extensive then either.)

That reminds me, I never owned any Goldsmith LP apart from Legend.

Later from a friend I made CD copies of Poltergeist, Total Recall and Mom and Dad Save the World.

But my first original CD was this one.

20240314_160050.jpg

And that was the real game changer for me. Studs Lonigan became one of my favourite scores immediately. 

On 13/3/2024 at 6:33 PM, Thor said:

So minimal recall, then.

Christ, Thor made a funny.

First serious encounter with Goldsmith will most definitely have been The Mummy, though subconsciously he had been in my field of view for a couple of years prior (Mulan being the other obvious example).

As a 90s child I explored that era’s output first. The likes of The Edge, Total Recall, The Russia House, The 13th Warrior, etc were all discovered fairly easily.

Then the real depths of enlightenment began.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Controversially, BAD GIRLS is my favourite Goldsmith western score. No kidding.

Might be mine, too. I'm pretty sure I don't give his classic westerns the attention they deserve (though I do like them just fine). But Bad Girls is underrated.

Bad Girls wouldn't make it on my top 5 Goldsmith westerns list, but it might make the top 10. I agree it's really underrated. Lots of people seem to judge it on the syrupy 90s opening track rather than all the badass gritty action in it ("Ambush"!!!) which stands up proudly with all the western action music he was writing in the 60s and 70s IMO.

Yavar

I think it was either Total Recall or First Blood 1 or 2. I became aware of Goldsmith as a composer later than of Williams, but I’m sure I enjoyed his music when I heard it in films like Star Trek or Basic Instinct, etc. The man was such a prolific composer that you just couldn’t not hear one of his scores when you watched films on a regular basis. But I really started to appreciate his work in the 2000s and and maybe even later, when my JW phase started to fade, and I realized there was another titan of film music like him. 

On 13/3/2024 at 10:53 AM, Thor said:

People always make fun of those comparisons, pitting Goldsmith's scores for lesser, similar fare up against Williams:

Dennis the Menace vs. Home Alone

King Solomon's Mines vs. Indiana Jones

Supergirl vs. Superman

Baby - Secret of the Lost Legend vs. Jurassic Park

Star Trek vs. Star Wars

Explorers vs. E.T.

etc. etc.

Sometimes I wonder what scores JG would’ve written to films like Jaws, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, E.T., Jurassic Park or Schindler’s List. He definitely would’ve done some magical stuff, although completely different from what JW did, but something equally great for sure.

On 15/03/2024 at 1:22 AM, JTN said:

Sometimes I wonder what scores JG would’ve written to films like Jaws, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, E.T., Jurassic Park or Schindler’s List. He definitely would’ve done some magical stuff, although completely different from what JW did, but something equally great for sure.

I'd love a JG score for a Jurassic or Indiana Jones movie. If only he had lived until these franchises were ressurrected...

I'm pretty sure my earliest Jerry Goldsmith-related memory is Dennis McCarthy's arrangement of his Star Trek: The Motion Picture theme for Star Trek: The Next Generation. I remember getting excited by that music every time I would watch an episode of the series with my grandfather, around age six or seven, even though I later learned it was a pale echo of the original work.

That said, my Persian father was really into old westerns and had a bunch he recorded off AMC or TCM or whatever in the 1980s onto VHS... and one of these was Black Patch (1957)! I ended up watching most of those old westerns as a kid so it's entirely possible that my first time hearing Jerry Goldsmith music was Jerry's very first original score for a feature film. I just don't have a conscious memory of it.

The very first CD I ever owned was Star Trek: First Contact... a birthday present from my great uncle who kinda introduced me to the concept of film music being available on album, by playing Last of the Mohicans in his car.

Yavar

Gremlins, Gremlins 2, and Twilight Zone: The Movie were home video perennials at my house when I was too young to watch any of them, so I’m certain that was my first exposure to Goldsmith.

It’s about the extent of my journey though.  I blind-bought tons of Goldsmith scores in my carefree teenage years and maybe only really liked two or three of them, so now I don’t bother.

I'm noticing that JW, especially with his most famous works, is generally more immediately accessible, while Jerry's more of an acquired taste.  His music is genius, but it's not always a genius you can really appreciate on a surface level.  You have to listen to it a lot to really "get" it.

12 hours ago, pete said:

I remember just seeing his name a lot on movie credits at movies and on TV growing up in the 80s - I was born in 1972. I remember noticing the name when I saw Rambo First Blood part 2 in a theater and for many movies on TV: Capricorn One and I think Alien was another one, and there were quite a few more. Maybe Twilight Zone and Gremlins I think as well. Strangely, I don't remember paying extra attention to the music - just that I kept thinking, oh there's that name again. Like all fans my age, Williams brought film music to my attention, so I think that had me noticing composer credits, but all this was in my early teens when I didn't think to buy a soundrack. But I realize I was drawn to instrumental music in a form back then - the long guitar solos of Mark Knofler on the dire straits double live album, and his Going Home piece from Local Hero on the CD, come to mind. 

I saw Total Recall (1990) and Medicine Man (1992) in theaters, and it was between those that I bought my first soundtrack - Varese's Star Wars Trilogy and Superman. And back then in Australia, you could rent CDs, and I borrowed Kamen's Robon Hood and fell in love with that. And then I kept seeing Goldsmith's name on CDs so I got more of an idea of his output. 

I knew he had written the music for Medicine Man before seeing the movie - I saw it with my mother who was a Sean Connery, and I went into the theater with the intention of paying attention to the music. The Trees piece had me mesmerized, and I bought the CD either that same day or the next one. And that set me on the path! Although I remember thinking most of Star Trek The Motion Picture was weird. Now I know it's just utterly brilliant! 

And then while living in the UK between 1997 and 1999, my parents visited, and Jerry Goldsmith gave a talk about The Edge with the director (maybe). And my mum went along as well, and she enjoyed Jerry's anecdotes about the Hollywood stars he mentioned. Hearing him speak, I really felt I was in the presence of a genius. It just occured to me that in the future when my mother is no longer with us, I'll probably associate some of Jerry's music with my memories of her. Damn, I hope that's far into the future!

Thanks GerateWohl for the topic and the resulting trip down memory lane!

Great recollections... sounds like we were at the same event when he talked about The Edge! And yes, the director (Lee Tamahori) was indeed there. Great to have gone with your mum too!